Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

key fobs BOTH not working 3 days after buying this car?

key fobs start lock unlock

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tankheavy

tankheavy

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

I bought my Fusion 3 days ago.  I went out to my garage this morning (with both fobs), and accidentally hit remote start (I think).  Some lights went on, but it did not unlock.  Since then, I have tried EVERYTHING to unlock it.  Nothing works.  Neither fob works.  And I can't find how to get the key into the driver's door and unlock it.  

First, does anyone know what the heck I could have done to have both fobs not work at all?

Second, how do I get the key under the driver's side door handle and unlock it?  It barely goes in at all.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ONLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:17 PM

I bought my Fusion 3 days ago.  I went out to my garage this morning (with both fobs), and accidentally hit remote start (I think).  Some lights went on, but it did not unlock.  Since then, I have tried EVERYTHING to unlock it.  Nothing works.  Neither fob works.  And I can't find how to get the key into the driver's door and unlock it.  

First, does anyone know what the heck I could have done to have both fobs not work at all?

Second, how do I get the key under the driver's side door handle and unlock it?  It barely goes in at all.

Did you try just one fob with the other one well out of range?

The only way I am aware of for both fobs to not work is if the 12 volt battery is too low.

It would be difficult to hit remote start accidentally since you have to push the lock button and then the remote start button twice with very little time between the button pushes.

Did you remove the cap from the driver's door handle to uncover the lock entrance?

#3 OFFLINE   tankheavy

tankheavy

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

Thanks very much.  I did finally get the driver's side door to open, manually.  No lights are on, and I can't get it to start with the button.  If the 12v was charged, it would start, and something would light up, right?  I think the batt is dead - I must have left something on yesterday, but I can't think what.  Time to see if a jumpstart will do the trick...

#4 OFFLINE   TonyHzNV

TonyHzNV

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 411 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

If the car tries to read both fobs at once, you may get the "key not detected" error. Leave one fob in the house and try using one at a time. To insert the key in the door, remove the key from the fob, insert it into the slot on the bottom of the rear part of the door handle, and while pushing up on the key, slide the (lock cylinder) cover to the rear. The cover is an integral part of the door handle and is stationary.

Edit: Darn, Murphy, you beat me!

Edited by TonyHzNV, 29 March 2015 - 03:25 PM.

340661.png

2013 F-150 XLT Super Cab Ingot Silver Metallic/Gray Cloth, 302A, 5.0L V8, 7100# GVWR Pkg, Tailgate Step, Cloth Bucket Seats. Build Date: 01/25/13

2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat/Charcoal Black Cloth, SE Appearance Pkg, Rear Spoiler, 18" Premium Sport Wheels, Tech/MFT Pkg, Rear View Camera, Reverse Sensing Sys, Adaptive Cruise Control, Nav System. Build Date: 11/25/13, Sync Version: 3.8 (w/nav)

Previous (Ford) Vehicles: 1995 Contour, 1999 Explorer Sport, 2002 Explorer XLS 4x4, 2003 Expedition XLT 4x4, 2007 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2007 Fusion SEL, 2012 Fusion SEL

"Do What You Can, For Who You Can, With What You Have, and What You Know"

#5 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

Well of course it's Sunday and you probably need the car tomorrow but...............

The dealer should be responsible for getting this taken care of under warranty.

You have to try really hard to run the battery down........as most of the electrical stuff will self-extinguish after a period of time.

Chances are good that the DEALER let the battery run down and now it needs to be replaced........under warranty.

P.S.  You should NOT leave either of the FOBs in or very near to the car when not in use as this will tend to run the battery down in the FOB and maybe the car too.

#6 OFFLINE   tankheavy

tankheavy

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:26 PM

It was the battery.  Thanks for all of the help and posts.  Once I got a jump, everything was fine.  It was good to know how to get into the vehicle manually, at least.  I agree that the dealer probably let the battery run down, since there are only 80 miles on the vehicle...  But I'm wondering, are there things that new hybrid owners (like myself) leave on, that would drain the battery?  I can't think of anything, and I didn't leave any lights on...

#7 ONLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:59 PM

Edit: Darn, Murphy, you beat me!

Better that two of us answered than if no one answered. :)

• hybridbear and corncobs like this

#8 ONLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 06:04 PM

It was the battery.  Thanks for all of the help and posts.  Once I got a jump, everything was fine.  It was good to know how to get into the vehicle manually, at least.  I agree that the dealer probably let the battery run down, since there are only 80 miles on the vehicle...  But I'm wondering, are there things that new hybrid owners (like myself) leave on, that would drain the battery?  I can't think of anything, and I didn't leave any lights on...

Everything eventually shuts off.  The longest are the 12 volt power sockets.  They stay on for about 70 minutes.

Your next project is to figure out how to get the shifter out of Park with a dead 12 volt battery.

Hint:  It's in the manual.

Have the dealer test the battery.  Wet cell lead acid starter batteries can be permanently damaged by being completely discharged.  It probably happened to yours several times while sitting on the lot.

• hybridbear likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 994 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

But I'm wondering, are there things that new hybrid owners (like myself) leave on, that would drain the battery?  I can't think of anything, and I didn't leave any lights on...

The autolamp delay feature is configurable in you information displays.  I set mine to the minimum delay possible (none?). I don't know how much of a drain that is on the LVB but I minimized it because of the same concerns you have expressed.

#10 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:57 AM

Once I got a jump, everything was fine.  

Well everything might not be fine.

The battery needs to be fully charged over many hours with a small automatic charger and then thoroughly tested; not just with a 5 second load test that most shops do.

Once run completely down like that it often takes a LONG time for the car to do a complete recharge and sometimes it never quite gets there.

The longer the battery stay at less than a full charge, the more time is taken off of it's full life span.

#11 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 410 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

Do you have an appointment set to visit your dealer about this, tankheavy? That's a great next step in solving this. Please keep me updated on this, and I'll check out some options.

Meagan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: key fobs, start, lock, unlock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·