Sign in to follow this  
liv4spd

High voltage battery maintenance while the car is in the dealsership

I bought my FFH in March 2015. When I checked the label, it says the car was manufactured in September 2014.

According to the manual, the car needs to be driven at least once every 15 days during storage for the longevity of the battery. So during the 6 months of period, do any of you know if the dealership staff do anything to maintain the HV battery?

Could you post that section from the owner’s manual (page number)? I found this regarding long term storage but was not able to find the reference to HVB longevity that you mentioned:

Engine
• The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage because used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage.
• Start the engine every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes. Run at fast idle with the climate controls set to defrost until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.
• With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.
• We recommend that you change the engine oil before you use your vehicle again.

Much of that seems to apply a conventional gas car with a conventional automatic transmission.

I would not be too concerned on the HVB on the new cars. The batteries used do not have memory issues like the NiMh used in prior years, which is one of the reasons the 10-12 FFH do periodic battery conditioning runs. The computers will not allow the HVB to discharge below its LVC to protect the cells. The LVB is a larger concern as it is required to keep all the systems alive when the car is not being driven, and many owners have already had theirs replaced.

Page 279:

Chapter: Vehicle care

Section: Vehicle storage

Start the engine every 15 days for a minimum of 15 minutes. Run at fast idle with the climate controls set to defrost until the engine reaches normal operating temperature.

With your foot on the brake, shift through all the gears while the engine is running.

Could you post that section from the owner’s manual (page number)? I found this regarding long term storage but was not able to find the reference to HVB longevity that you mentioned:

Much of that seems to apply a conventional gas car with a conventional automatic transmission.

I'll bet that pertains to non hybrids more than the FFH as there are no gears in the FFH, and in order to run it for 15 minutes, you pretty much have to sit in the car with the gas pedal to the floor.