liv4spd

What's the procedures for a flat tire?

Waldo's point is that the car was designed and crash tested with no spare tire. A spare tire is rather large and rigid and could have a significant impact in a collision, even if it is in the well that is used for the spare tire on Fusions.

Could be but look around in here at how many folks have had sidewall issues that the stuff will not work on. A donut spare can get you to a shop for replacement rubber. I personally will not go on a long trip where a severe blowout or sidewall issue will cost more than possibly a new tire. I have used full-sized and donut spares many times and they do what they were intended.

If Ford did not intend for FFH to have spares then why is the well there? Oh yeah ... the gas models. The spare in them will do no damage in severe rear-ender?

Edited by Cobra348

Could be but look around in here at how many folks have had sidewall issues that the stuff will not work on. A donut spare can get you to a shop for replacement rubber. I personally will not go on a long trip where a severe blowout or sidewall issue will cost more than possibly a new tire. I have used full-sized and donut spares many times and they do what they were intended.

If Ford did not intend for FFH to have spares then why is the well there? Oh yeah ... the gas models. The spare in them will do no damage in severe rear-ender?

The gas models do not have a battery that weighs hundreds of pounds in the trunk area to become a force in a crash. No one is guaranteeing that harm will come to you from having a spare in the trunk, it's just being pointed out that the FFH was not designed and crash tested with a spare in the trunk.

In the gas models the spare tire can be pushed into the space where the battery is. The Hybrid, not so much.

Waldo's point is that the car was designed and crash tested with no spare tire. A spare tire is rather large and rigid and could have a significant impact in a collision, even if it is in the well that is used for the spare tire on Fusions.

The same is true for a non-hybrid Fusion or for that matter any car with a donut spare in a wheel well.

But the difference we are speculating on (and mentioned months ago by Waldo) is that the donut spare could be pushed into (or underneath) the HVB and that would expose the passengers to an increased risk. But, and this is only additional speculation on my part, if you are rear ended with enough force that the spare tire is forced into or underneath the batter pack, then the rear passengers are already at significant risk. And the HVB will likely further increase that risk.

It is worth mentioning that when Waldo originally pointed out this increased risk, he also stated that it was not enough of a concern to him to prevent him from having a donut spare in his FFH. If I remember correctly, Waldo has a donut spare currently installed in his FFH.

The "goo" that everyone is up in arms about DOES NOT destroy the TPMS in your tires. Yes, the old stuff did ruin the TPMS when they were first coming out. Slime has a kit out that has the compressor and the "goo" with a valve stem remover, it's called something like The 15 Minute Flat Fix. It states that it is ok to use with TPMS and will not harm them, I have a kit in each of my families cars just in case AAA is slow and had a friend whose son had a flat in a school parking lot and used the kit and now says he has one in all his families cars. No it doesnt help a sidewall flat that is true but please don't go giving out erroneous information that in no way helps anyone, once again someone talking before learning their subject.

Is Slime the product that Ford plces in the FFH? I doubt it. I have seen the Slime kit at the local auto store - didn't buy it. I have my donut safely mounted and carry a compressor for when I need it.

Edited by Cobra348

carry a compressor for when I need it.

Do you carry a different compressor than the Ford one that came with the car? We used the Ford one to help out a friend with a flat tire. It worked great!! I was very impressed with it.

Do you carry a different compressor than the Ford one that came with the car? We used the Ford one to help out a friend with a flat tire. It worked great!! I was very impressed with it.

Yes ... it's one I carried in my prior Fiesta as a just in case item. I got it for about $20 at Auto Zone ... electronic and can set max desired pressure. Runs off 12V source and I just screw it onto the valve and let it go! Works well.

I have used the Ford compressor many times with those crapyear tires that it came with, they leaked all the time, so the compressor got several good workouts and it does a very good job. It is not a cheap compressor, but a very good one. Not having a spare in the FFh did concern me with my current job where its a 60 mile drive on state highways with no towns in sight. When I blew a tire on the chebby and got stuck on the side of the road with a spare tire that was not coming down, it gave me pause on whether or not I should replace it with a spare tire. Roadside assistance will tow me to the nearest dealer, but what good would that do if they dont have a PureContact in stock and have to order one which could take several days? Gieco could tow me wherever I want, but again, who stocks a PureContact? Walmart takes a day to get them, thats where I got them from. So having a regular spare is a lot better than the goopressor.

I seriously doubt the stuff Ford gives you will do any damage to your TPMS sensor. Would be pretty darn stupid of them to provide something that damages another component. If anyone has the time, call Ford's Customer Service and ask the question.

I seriously doubt the stuff Ford gives you will do any damage to your TPMS sensor. Would be pretty darn stupid of them to provide something that damages another component. If anyone has the time, call Ford's Customer Service and ask the question.

No need to call, just read your 2015's Owner's Manual. :)

On page 279 it has this information:

After sealant use, the tire pressure monitoring system sensor and valve stem on the wheel must be replaced by an authorized Ford dealer. 

Brilliant...great job Ford!

LOL! This isn't our first rodeo with our Fords, you should have been around here in early 2013...

:drop:

Brilliant...great job Ford!

<chuckle> While I waited for my car I read like hell all that I could here AND snagged a PDF of the Owners Manual. I spotted the sensor damage/replace warning and immediately grabbed the 16" donut shopping list.

Where did you mount the donut?

Here's the shopping list and a thread on the 16" Donut Spare. Photos are included but once you read the instructions, you'll see exactly how this is setup.

I bought all new parts - Ford and Tirerack (the tread), then did the swapout at Goodyear after they mounted the tread for me (and as they did my strut tower brace and hood struts). I did keep the original Ford goo and compressor though. My cost for all new was $518 with all taxes and shipping. You can save some if you go to a junkyard ... you want a 2013 gas Fusion (I believe).

Edited by Cobra348

Thanks Cobra...I am finding new spare tires on eBay for $125 and used ones at $99. Thinking about this and then buying the jack, lug wrench and foam piece separate but concerned about what will happen if rear ended and the implications on the battery pack. I may call Ford to discuss before I do this. I fully understand why those of you that have done it did it but, if it does pose a significant safety issue, I may just forego the tire assembly and get a can of propellant that does not destroy the TPMS sensor. Maybe it's the engineer in me but, God forbid, something happened in a accident that caused additional harm, I could never forgive myself.

Thanks Cobra...I am finding new spare tires on eBay for $125 and used ones at $99. Thinking about this and then buying the jack, lug wrench and foam piece separate but concerned about what will happen if rear ended and the implications on the battery pack. I may call Ford to discuss before I do this. I fully understand why those of you that have done it did it but, if it does pose a significant safety issue, I may just forego the tire assembly and get a can of propellant that does not destroy the TPMS sensor. Maybe it's the engineer in me but, God forbid, something happened in a accident that caused additional harm, I could never forgive myself.

There has been discussion about this. There is a risk if you add a spare tire of it changing the dynamics of the car in an accident.

You also need what is called an assembly box. It's just a formed foam piece to hold the jack and wrench under the spare ... and it has a hole in the center so the fastening bolt can lock it in place. With the parts list in that thread, the "order part #" is what the parts guys at the dealer can use to locate things if you go new.

See hybridbears response to you ... he is correct as there is quite a chat about the risks involved. I and some others have decided the risk is worth the feeling of security if we are on road trips. I myself cannot see the damned sense of having to shell out for a valve and sensor in addition to a tire when it gets punctured. That's an extra $65-$90 expense on top of the tread! Nope, no way.

Edited by Cobra348

OK...I get it and thank you all for your comments. So to play devil's advocate on this one...why not just call road side assistance and have the car towed to a local tire shop to get it repaired/replaced? Only drawback I can think of is time and having to get to where you're going quickly, therefore, changing the tire.

I also seem to remember there being an issue in a rear end accident of the spare tire/wheel impacting the high voltage battery and causing a potential fire. It may have been another forum I read about that justification for no spare in a hybrid. Maybe it was when I was researching the Accord Hybrid or it could have been a youtube review. I watched tons of those on hybrids before I bought my FFH.

OK...I get it and thank you all for your comments. So to play devil's advocate on this one...why not just call road side assistance and have the car towed to a local tire shop to get it repaired/replaced? Only drawback I can think of is time and having to get to where you're going quickly, therefore, changing the tire.

There is always the possibility of using roadside assistance, but it doesn't necessarily always turn out to be the nice neat solution that we like to picture in our minds. See the story in this post that helps one realize it could take days to get going again in your FFH when using roadside assistance, not just hours, and even possibly having to incur the cost of a hotel room too.

So...I just got off the phone with the Ford Hybrid Customer Service Team inquiring about the "donut". What they shared was the following:

1. Do NOT recommend the installation of a donut in the Fusion Hybrid

2. Not about weight or mileage but is a SAFETY issue

3. In a rear-end collision the donut could become dislodged or repositioned due to body damage and can cause severe damage to the trunk mounted battery pack

4. Places all vehicles occupants at a much higher risk of injury

I, for one, fully comprehend the reason that many of you are going the donut route. For me, personally, vehicle SAFETY is my main priority so I am buying an 18oz bottle of SLIME that has no adverse effect on the TPMS sensor and will effectively seal the tire for several hundred miles of operation. Seems to be the most logical choice IMPO. Not telling anyone what to do with their cars but ensuring that you are all well educated on why there is no donut and the ramifications to installing one.

Edited by securityguy

So...I just got off the phone with the Ford Hybrid Customer Service Team inquiring about the "donut". What they shared was the following:

1. Do NOT recommend the installation of a donut in the Fusion Hybrid

2. Not about weight or mileage but is a SAFETY issue

3. In a rear-end collision the donut could become dislodged or repositioned due to body damage and can cause severe damage to the trunk mounted battery pack

4. Places all vehicles occupants at a much higher risk of injury

I, for one, fully comprehend the reason that many of you are going the donut route. For me, personally, vehicle SAFETY is my main priority so I am buying an 18oz bottle of SLIME that has no adverse effect on the TPMS sensor and will effectively seal the tire for several hundred miles of operation. Seems to be the most logical choice IMPO. Not telling anyone what to do with their cars but ensuring that you are all well educated on why there is no donut and the ramifications to installing one.

All I gotta say is be very careful. Sidewall blowouts can happen just hitting a pothole wrong - and slime/goo/fix-a-flat does not work in those cases. Donut spares do.