Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for replacement 12v battery

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BlueZips

BlueZips

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 25 March 2015 - 02:37 PM

Im trying to find a 12v battery similar to the ford battery but like an AGM. I don't think I want to buy a replacement battery from ford....Has anyone replaced theirs with a non-ford battery?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,473 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

Im trying to find a 12v battery similar to the ford battery but like an AGM. I don't think I want to buy a replacement battery from ford....Has anyone replaced theirs with a non-ford battery?

My first try was with a Bosch BXT-96R-590 standard and larger battery.

It is described here:

http://www.fordfusio...tery/#entry7276

The short form is I removed the battery tray and cut the end off of it to make the Bosch fit.

Later I replaced the Bosch with an Optima D35 Yellow top AGM battery.

I do not get the battery saver messages because the voltage of an AGM stays higher as it discharges.

When the car sits unused for several days I hook up a battery charger to the 12 volt terminals under the hood to bring the battery back up.

I have seen it as low as 35%, according to my Schumacher battery charger, when left for a long time.

This is not a problem for a car that is driven daily.

#3 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 25 March 2015 - 03:40 PM

Im trying to find a 12v battery similar to the ford battery but like an AGM. I don't think I want to buy a replacement battery from ford...

Are you sure that yours has failed ?

I think the OEM ones are AGM.

Is Ford's price too high for you ??

Have you called around to auto parts stores........or searched their sites online ??

#4 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

Are you sure that yours has failed ?

I think the OEM ones are AGM.

Is Ford's price too high for you ??

Have you called around to auto parts stores........or searched their sites online ??

The OEM battery is a standard wet cell lead acid starter battery.

It is a unique size that is not available from anyone but Ford.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#5 OFFLINE   VonoreTn

VonoreTn

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 184 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Platnum gray FFH 502A option package, 2015 C-Max
  • My Hybrid's Year:2010

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

I'm at 106,000 miles with my original 12 battery.   I've had the red dot showing for the last 30K miles, but it still holds at 10.5 volts at 100 amp load, 13v while driving.  

Regards from Knoxville, Tennessee area
FFH 502A package, purchased August 2009

#6 OFFLINE   TonyHzNV

TonyHzNV

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 411 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:28 PM

And the most current Motor craft replacement battery part no. is BXT-99RT4-A.

340661.png

2013 F-150 XLT Super Cab Ingot Silver Metallic/Gray Cloth, 302A, 5.0L V8, 7100# GVWR Pkg, Tailgate Step, Cloth Bucket Seats. Build Date: 01/25/13

2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat/Charcoal Black Cloth, SE Appearance Pkg, Rear Spoiler, 18" Premium Sport Wheels, Tech/MFT Pkg, Rear View Camera, Reverse Sensing Sys, Adaptive Cruise Control, Nav System. Build Date: 11/25/13, Sync Version: 3.8 (w/nav)

Previous (Ford) Vehicles: 1995 Contour, 1999 Explorer Sport, 2002 Explorer XLS 4x4, 2003 Expedition XLT 4x4, 2007 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2007 Fusion SEL, 2012 Fusion SEL

"Do What You Can, For Who You Can, With What You Have, and What You Know"

#7 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

It is a unique size that is not available from anyone but Ford.

I'm sure that was true "yesterday" but that situation often doesn't last long.

If you haven't checked around recently, that statement might not be right.

And a slightly smaller AGM with similar capacity should work fine; better probably.

I'm at 106,000 miles with my original 12 battery.   I've had the red dot showing for the last 30K miles, but it still holds at 10.5 volts at 100 amp load, 13v while driving.  

The voltage while driving is meaningless for determining battery health.  That is the external charging voltage.

IIRC, the color change on batteries equipped with the "eye" indicated a low water condition and not necessarily a low charge.

BUT.....if you don't top up the water (electrolyte), it soon WILL be unhealthy (dead).

In this kind of application, that voltage when idle or at a light load is probably more important than the standard "load" test.

The OP has a car that is 4 years newer.  It might not have the same kind of battery.

Edited by Easy Rider, 25 March 2015 - 05:47 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 25 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

I'm sure that was true "yesterday" but that situation often doesn't last long.

If you haven't checked around recently, that statement might not be right.

And a slightly smaller AGM with similar capacity should work fine; better probably.

Well....I decided to look around and not one of the auto parts giants carry a replacement 12v battery for the fusion hybrids. Looks like Ford may still be the only option.

Edited by hermans, 25 March 2015 - 06:12 PM.

• corncobs likes this

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#9 OFFLINE   BlueZips

BlueZips

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:05 AM

I get BS messages every time I drive it. Ive tried to charge the battery with my battery tender overnight (or longer) but still get BS in the morning commute. I think its a matter of time before it dies...

#10 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:02 AM

I get BS messages every time I drive it. Ive tried to charge the battery with my battery tender overnight (or longer) but still get BS in the morning commute. I think its a matter of time before it dies...

A battery tender is used to keep a fully charged battery fully charged.  It doesn't provide enough current to charge a low battery.  If your battery has ever been fully discharged the odds are high that it was permanently damaged.

#11 OFFLINE   BlueZips

BlueZips

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

hmmm what would you suggest that I do Murphy?

#12 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:02 PM

hmmm what would you suggest that I do Murphy?

Take it to your dealer and have them test the 12 volt battery with their battery tester.

Get a battery charger that can supply a minimum of 10 amps.  Mine is a Schumacher that can supply 30 amps.

#13 OFFLINE   BlueZips

BlueZips

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

ok I will wait until I go to my parents house and use their charger

Edited by BlueZips, 26 March 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

Well....I decided to look around and not one of the auto parts giants carry a replacement 12v battery for the fusion hybrids. Looks like Ford may still be the only option.

I went out last night and LOOKED at my battery.  Nothing remarkable about it.....except maybe that it appears to be a "low maintenance" type instead of a true "sealed main. free" type.  I could be wrong but it appears to be held in by a bolt and clamp at the bottom AND a fabric strap at the top.  

I still think that if you get the dimensions and AH rating, you should be able to find a suitable AGM replacement.  The posts look to be standard.

Not a perfect fit maybe but it looks to me like the strap on top would hold it in place even if the bottom clamp didn't engage completely.

And a very short time probably.

Murphy says: if and when it fails, it will be at the worst POSSIBLE place and time.

Edit: That is not the Murphy who is a member here.  :)

Edited by Easy Rider, 26 March 2015 - 03:36 PM.

• Texasota likes this

#15 OFFLINE   liv4spd

liv4spd

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:58 AM

Ford's OEM battery is the best PERIOD.

My 2008 Fusion still carries the original battery, and the car always start in the first crank. 

#16 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:21 AM

My 2008 Fusion still carries the original battery, and the car always start in the first crank. 

Your 2008 Fusion has a standard full size battery. 

The one in a hybrid is a small battery, sized to fit the available space, that has no where near the needed capacity.

#17 OFFLINE   Easy Rider

Easy Rider

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

Well that's only 6 years; good but not great.

I can't really agree with your assessment.  The battery you have most likely really is a "low maintenance" conventional wet cell type and the industry consensus is that AGM is much better overall.......even considering the higher price in most cases.

#18 OFFLINE   RTimothy

RTimothy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 67 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion SE hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:42 AM

My first try was with a Bosch BXT-96R-590 standard and larger battery.

It is described here:

http://www.fordfusio...tery/#entry7276

The short form is I removed the battery tray and cut the end off of it to make the Bosch fit.

Later I replaced the Bosch with an Optima D35 Yellow top AGM battery.

I do not get the battery saver messages because the voltage of an AGM stays higher as it discharges.

When the car sits unused for several days I hook up a battery charger to the 12 volt terminals under the hood to bring the battery back up.

I have seen it as low as 35%, according to my Schumacher battery charger, when left for a long time.

This is not a problem for a car that is driven daily.

Good morning.

You have helped me with installing breakaway switch and more. However, We towed the 13 FFH for two days and the battery was dead, dead at the end of each day. Did not use aux brake system. Bought a jump start gizmo at walmart and jump started it twice. The shop that installed the blue ox base plate neglected to include the charging wire as requested, but did not tell me. They told me when I called from the road with a dead battery. They also said that the umbilical cord should have been modified to have 12v from the rv on the center pin of it instead of the pin in the 3 oclock position. Also there is no wire from that center pin right now. That would have been part of installing the charge wire. I called ford national service. they said FFH owners use a product called toad charger. No other help.

Murph, if I have 12 v on the center pin of the embilical cord, can I have a wire run from that center pin to gthe jumpstrart lug on the FFH to keep the FFH battery charged while towing? 

Tim

Tim fm Ct

Entering the hybrid experience

in our "new" 2013 SE.

#19 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:33 AM

I have never towed a car so I am not familiar with the connections.  I would expect that a special circuit, including a diode, is needed to make a charging connection to the towed battery.  If the towed battery is put in parallel with the RV battery when the RV needs significant current, such as for engine cranking, it will try to come from both batteries.  That high current will vaporize the small wire that was used for charging.  At a minimum there needs to be a diode in the wire run so current can only flow toward the towed battery but not back to the RV battery.

This appears to be what they were referring to:

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004RCXB8A

I only see two wires so it may just be a diode to do exactly what I was talking about.

Maybe someone else that has actually towed a vehicle will show up and comment.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·