Barsoom

Side mirrors pointing to ground this morning

This has happened to me before.

When I got into my car this morning, both side mirrors were pointing to their low points, and my pre-programmed Settings were lost.

Has this happened to anyone else?

FFH 2013 Feb 2013 build.

Battery low? I have seen that before as well but only after some work was done.

Also is it possible that a different preset button was pressed? I believe pointing down is the default.

I don't remember if individual settings can be saved for each key FOB or not but..............

If they can, is it possible that you picked up the second FOB and those are the settings saved for it ??

Settings can be saved for up to three key fobs. If you grabbed one that has never been set up, that could explain it.

Any chance you car recently endured valet parking? A few days ago my passenger side mirror was down after valet parking and I am blaming it on that.

No to the keyfob. Just one keyring that I use.

No to valet parking, but the car did spend the weekend at the airport. I picked it up on Monday, the problem was Wednesday morning.

Battery has a solar trickle charger on it for when it sits all day in a parking lot.

So I'll just call it a glitch and post back to the thread the next time it happens.

I was having that problem with the drivers mirror. Then when the car was either started or turned off the mirror would do a Linda Blair routine. The glass just kept moving in circles and then pointed down. Ford ended up replacing the complete mirror.

After about a year it started doing it again yesterday....back to Ford. It's still under warranty.

Edited by hermans

I think that maybe it could be due to water getting into the door switches. Anytime its raining and the door is opened or the window is down, rainwater always collects on the door switches...

No to the keyfob. Just one keyring that I use.

No to valet parking, but the car did spend the weekend at the airport. I picked it up on Monday, the problem was Wednesday morning.

Battery has a solar trickle charger on it for when it sits all day in a parking lot.

So I'll just call it a glitch and post back to the thread the next time it happens.

Have you spoken with your dealer to have this checked out, Barsoom? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll take a look into some options.

I was having that problem with the drivers mirror. Then when the car was either started or turned off the mirror would do a Linda Blair routine. The glass just kept moving in circles and then pointed down. Ford ended up replacing the complete mirror.

After about a year it started doing it again yesterday....back to Ford. It's still under warranty.

Hi hermans,

Any updates from your dealer visit yesterday?

Meagan

Have you spoken with your dealer to have this checked out, Barsoom? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll take a look into some options.

Hi hermans,

Any updates from your dealer visit yesterday?

Meagan

I took it in this AM. The mirror has to be replaced again. This means the mirror has to be ordered and taken to a body shop to be painted.This is the second time and it's always the drivers side. My dealer says they have not had any other cars with the same mirror issue as mine. Reassuring....not.

Hi, Meagan. I have not talked to a dealer. This is the first time it happened in awhile. The last time may have been when the HVAC was replaced. It's so infrequent that I'm not sure what they'd find. I'm still waiting to be notified about the control module recall (have they started producing the replacement modules yet?), and there is a TSB that I want done for the A/C light when in Auto mode, so do see another dealer visit in my future soon. Plus, I don't drive enough to use up my pre-paid service visits, so I'll probably need a set ice visit anyway just for time driven, if not miles.

I took it in this AM. The mirror has to be replaced again. This means the mirror has to be ordered and taken to a body shop to be painted.This is the second time and it's always the drivers side. My dealer says they have not had any other cars with the same mirror issue as mine. Reassuring....not.

I'm jealous! You have such a unique car... it's a keeper! :)

This is the second time and it's always the drivers side. My dealer says they have not had any other cars with the same mirror issue as mine. Reassuring....not.

For sure. The two things above when taken together probably means that he problem really is NOT in the mirror itself and they don't have the expertise to figure out what is really wrong. I wonder how many times they will change it before they figure that out ??

Thanks for following up. Please send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll send this up the chain.

Hi, Meagan. I have not talked to a dealer. This is the first time it happened in awhile. The last time may have been when the HVAC was replaced. It's so infrequent that I'm not sure what they'd find. I'm still waiting to be notified about the control module recall (have they started producing the replacement modules yet?), and there is a TSB that I want done for the A/C light when in Auto mode, so do see another dealer visit in my future soon. Plus, I don't drive enough to use up my pre-paid service visits, so I'll probably need a set ice visit anyway just for time driven, if not miles.

If it happens again or enough to where you decide to head in, please let me know. As far as any recalls, if you aren't notified, your dealer is always able to look it up. Also, you can check here. Keep me in the loop on this. :)

Meagan

For sure. The two things above when taken together probably means that he problem really is NOT in the mirror itself and they don't have the expertise to figure out what is really wrong. I wonder how many times they will change it before they figure that out ??

The dealer has contacted the higher-ups about it. I think they are going to do a full diagnostics test. Besides the mirrors, they have re-programed the one touch windows 8 times and they still won't work more than a week. The have also performed the TSB for the off road Nav a few times and it won't fix it.

The have also performed the TSB for the off road Nav a few times and it won't fix it.

What is "off road NAV".

I don't remember any claims of "off road" capability with the NAV system.

What is "off road NAV".

I don't remember any claims of "off road" capability with the NAV system.

I think he means that when he's on the road, the display shows him being off. Can't imagine anyone intentionally taking their FFH off-roading! ;)

This has happened to me before.

When I got into my car this morning, both side mirrors were pointing to their low points, and my pre-programmed Settings were lost.

Has this happened to anyone else?

FFH 2013 Feb 2013 build.

This happened a few times with the old black FFH which had frequent battery saver messages.

The dealer has contacted the higher-ups about it. I think they are going to do a full diagnostics test. Besides the mirrors, they have re-programed the one touch windows 8 times and they still won't work more than a week. The have also performed the TSB for the off road Nav a few times and it won't fix it.

Have they replaced the door modules that the TSB calls for replacing?

Hi Hermans -

I am experiencing the same issue you are describing in your post below. How difficult was it for your Dealer to diagnose this? Mine has started doing this, but it seems mostly related to when it gets very, very wet, as in when I take it through the self car wash or the soft cloth wash. I thought it was being caused by the soft cloth hitting the glass, but yesterday I did it by hand and hosed down the car pretty well and the mirror started doing its circle dance.

Did your dealer insist that the problem be replicated by them or were they able to plug into the car's computer and detect an issue?

Thanks for your feedback before I make my appointment.

-Mark

Hi Mark,

Mine has been the exact same thing... the driver's side view mirror does the up-down-left-right movements every time I unlocked the car. It started to happen after I washed my car. I thought the setting was messed up somehow so I reset the key fob and even changed the batteries. It stopped and went back to normal. Today it was raining and it happened again and it happened to both of my key fobs. Like you said it has something to do with wet.

Please advise. Was yours eventually resolved?

Luron

Hi Luron,

As you read, my mirror assembly was replaced under warranty by the dealer. However, the problem was not completely resolved, but it is significantly better. I'm now out of warranty, and not going to bother with it now. It happens very rarely. When I wash the car by hand I try not to soak the mirrors with the hose, and the car wash I use now, the attendants usually remember to fold the mirrors in as I roll through.

In hindsight, I maybe should have just let it be because now I feel my door that had the mirror assembly replaced has more 'squeaks' than it did before coming from the speaker area.

I hope this helps you out.

Hi Luron,

As you read, my mirror assembly was replaced under warranty by the dealer. However, the problem was not completely resolved, but it is significantly better. I'm now out of warranty, and not going to bother with it now. It happens very rarely. When I wash the car by hand I try not to soak the mirrors with the hose, and the car wash I use now, the attendants usually remember to fold the mirrors in as I roll through.

In hindsight, I maybe should have just let it be because now I feel my door that had the mirror assembly replaced has more 'squeaks' than it did before coming from the speaker area.

I hope this helps you out.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response. Mine is out of warranty anyway so I did not think of bring it to the dealer for a replacement. I know it's not cheap and now I learned of your experience with the squeaking noise. I however did one last try this morning and it stopped the issue right away. I hope it won't come back. What I did was dissociating the key fob with the seat memory setting. Since I am the only one using the car anyway.

Thanks again.

Luron