Sign in to follow this  
Bob Cooke

Car Computed MPG vs Actual MPG

Your actual MPG is probably not unreasonable given where you live (i.e. cold winter conditions).

My actual MPG vs trip display MPG varied a lot for the first several tanks. I have been keeping my data on a spread sheet for the ~9000 miles I have on my 2015 and, on average, the trip display is inflated by about 2 MPG. But I still get a lot of randomness in the amount of over reporting and under reporting by the trip display. I recently had one that inflated the actual MPG by 8 MPG which surprised me.

I think this car is very sensitive to the slope of the pavement at the fuel pump. Seems to be more sensitive to that than other cars I have owned.

The calculated result is affected to the greatest by the denominator - fuel used (or in the case of a manual calculation, pumped). It will vary. Your tank is not like a measuring cup where you set it on a level surface and fill it to a visible line. We really don't know how accurate each pump is, nor do we know exactly how far we end up above or below that invisible full line. A half gallon variance can affect the result +/- 2-3 MPG.

I've been meaning to post some thoughts about this same subject based on my own collected data. Maybe tomorrow.

You probably need to average 10 tanks even if you use the same pump every time. Then you can calculate the offset error of the car computer. You only need to do that once. After that, the computer is very precise and you can just do the mental calculation of the actual mpg. For instance, my 2010 computer reads about 4.5% too high mpg. The odometer reads 2.5% too low for a net of 2% too high. If the computer says 40 mpg, the actual is 39.2. The numbers for the 2013+ FFH appear to be similar. Apparently in the 2013+ models, any fuel used after remote start before driving is not included in the computer calculation so discard any pump calculations that include remote start operation. That is really your mpg but that won't let you calibrate the computer accurately.

Edited by lolder

You probably need to average 10 tanks even if you use the same pump every time. Then you can calculate the offset error of the car computer. You only need to do that once. After that, the computer is very precise and you can just do the mental calculation of the actual mpg. For instance, my 2010 computer reads about 4.5% too high mpg.

Bingo for lolder once again, first on the note about spanning multiple fill-ups, and using the same pump (not just the same station) too. His note on his 2010 being 4.5% too optimistic is about the same as my 2010 was, and about the same as the Prius before that.

My own results in my 2014 FFH for the difference in gauge versus calculated MPGs for each fill-up have been all over the map (most recent fill-ups shown in table below), even when filling from the same pump at the same station.

The "Pump" column below shows the pump number followed by the encoding of the cross-streets where the filling station is located. In the not-so-distant past, I have been much more consistent in using the same pump at the same station for many, many times in a row, back when the gas prices weren't changing so drastically from fill-up to fill-up, but the differences between my gauge and calculated MPGs at the same exact pump were still all over the place.

Pump Trip Gauge Calc'ed
---- ----- ----- ------
15lb 270.0 54.8 50.6
15mv 218.4 52.3 51.5
15pu 240.1 53.1 48.4
15mkcc 277.4 56.1 52.0
15mv 277.3 55.9 59.5
15pu 268.0 55.5 48.3
15pu 297.9 57.4 55.3
15pu 278.9 56.5 53.6

My car does not report fuel used like some others here have shown, not sure if they removed that option from the 2015's

It was removed on the 2015s.

Removed from where? The Trip Summary? The Advanced Trip Meters?

I don't think it is displayed anywhere. I have not found any display that shows fuel used other than the fuel tank gauge/graphic. And to the best of my knowledge I don't think the 2015s have an "advanced trip meter".

You can't do what shown in this video?

No, I have tried this before and I don't think the standard/enhanced option is available on the 2015s. I also just verified that the standard/enhanced option is documented in the 2014 owner's manual but has been removed in the 2015 owner's manual.

What all is shown on your trip meter? Do you have an options to change it?

What is displayed in Trip 1 or Trip 2 is just as the owner's manual documents:

Trip 1 & 2

Provides trip odometer, trip average fuel economy and trip timer. Distance traveled on battery power only with the engine off is shown in blue next to total trip distance

I just tried to change it again today and when you push the -> button (while trip 1 is displayed) on the left side steerig wheel controls the only option is "help". No other options to change it are listed. I'm confident this feature was removed on the 2015s along with all data on gallons of fuel used.

That really stinks!! Can other 2015 owners confirm? I want to make sure this isn't just on the Hybrid S like you have.

Confirmation from other 2015 owners would be a good thing to confirm I am not missing something or that it is peculiar only to the Hybrid S. But, given that the documentation was removed from the 2015 owner’s manual I doubt if it is Hybrid S specific.