Sign in to follow this  
lsherlockl

FFH Engine light fuel system errors

I seen the one post on having check engine light come on but sounded different than what I am experiencing so I figured I would make a separate post.

In short awhile back i had some issues with the check engine light accompanied by the message about check fuel cap days after refueling this winter. used nozzle whatever in a few days it would reset cam on about 2 times then it behaved alright.

Fast forward about a month... had a unfortunate accident on the last snowfall of the year slid while exiting a roundabout ~15mph and bent strut, damaged bearing, bent rim and scuffed the other on curb went through some nightmares at service centers/garages in the area but that is another story... (over 2 weeks and a day where no one knew where my car was... grrr)

Now after getting car back i noticed the engine light on, I assumed it was from resetting some system or some tire sensor just needing to reset gave it two days to get some driving cycles to see if it reset. This morning on the way in to work I find that it is turned off... Okay that's good I think but I still stop off at a friends on the way in and get his ODBII reader and pull the codes. here is what i get:

Vehicle Manufacturer: Ford
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present

Current Fault Log
------------------
P0456: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (very small leak)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log
------------------
P0457: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (fuel cap loose/off)
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged

Now it says there is an error even though there is no light? I assume the previous one is the fuel cap from ~ month ago? Anyone else see this before? I just really dreading taking it back in around here because if its "accident" related should be still the liability of where i took it to fix it. If its normal warranty I can go where I please.

Thoughts?

The CEL is mostly emissions related. It's probably still an EECS leak. If it comes on again, go into the dealer for warranty work.

Thanks,

I guess I will just do that, and error light should come on if its detected or "back" so to speak right?

Also side note this weather warming up is making me smile from mpgs and so happy to be back in my FFH!

Edited by lsherlockl

I seen the one post on having check engine light come on but sounded different than what I am experiencing so I figured I would make a separate post.

In short awhile back i had some issues with the check engine light accompanied by the message about check fuel cap days after refueling this winter. used nozzle whatever in a few days it would reset cam on about 2 times then it behaved alright.

Fast forward about a month... had a unfortunate accident on the last snowfall of the year slid while exiting a roundabout ~15mph and bent strut, damaged bearing, bent rim and scuffed the other on curb went through some nightmares at service centers/garages in the area but that is another story... (over 2 weeks and a day where no one knew where my car was... grrr)

Now after getting car back i noticed the engine light on, I assumed it was from resetting some system or some tire sensor just needing to reset gave it two days to get some driving cycles to see if it reset. This morning on the way in to work I find that it is turned off... Okay that's good I think but I still stop off at a friends on the way in and get his ODBII reader and pull the codes. here is what i get:

Vehicle Manufacturer: Ford

Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present

Current Fault Log

------------------

P0456: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (very small leak)

Pending Fault Log

------------------

ECU reports no pending faults

Historic Fault Log

------------------

P0457: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (fuel cap loose/off)

Other discovered fault codes

(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)

----------------------------------------------------

ECU reports no other fault codes logged

Now it says there is an error even though there is no light? I assume the previous one is the fuel cap from ~ month ago? Anyone else see this before? I just really dreading taking it back in around here because if its "accident" related should be still the liability of where i took it to fix it. If its normal warranty I can go where I please.

Thoughts?

I recommend heading to the dealer that took care of you post-accident, just in case. This way, you won't have to make another trip elsewhere. Please let me know what you find out.

Meagan

Huh. Not a scratch on our car and I just got back from the dealer to fix a P0456. Evap purge valve. Go to the dealer. Be happy. My brother had the same issue on his 13 focus, but he was a million miles out of warranty. He drives a lot. A $40 part that apparently fails here and there.