GrySql

Sync v4.4 for my Ford Flex

I was looking on the new Ford Owners website and under Sync Services it said my 2011 Flex had a new Sync update, v4.4.

The last update available for this older Flex was in late 2010, v3.2, that is a long time to wait for an update - but Ford burped one up, imagine that.

I dumped it to a USB stick and tried following Ford's instructions (not available as a printable list, had to write each page of instructions), while the instructions were somewhat close to actual I was able to get the update installed.
I went back to my computer and the FO website to validate the install, the website uploaded an .xml file from the USB stick, now connected to the computer, and said it was done.
I had to re-pair my bluetooth iPhone.

I haven't tried any of the improvements yet.
==
Sync v4/4:
DR3T-14D544-AF
Bluetooth© Connectivity Improvements:
Enhanced Bluetooth phone connection stability
Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title
More robust Message Access Profile (MAP) functionality to handle SMS reception and Text2Speach output
Media Connectivity Improvements:
Improved media connectivity for USB-equipped Apple devices, as well as streamlined device initialization and authentication process
Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle

Nothing for your / our FFH?

Not for the 2013 MY FFH. :(

What year is your Explorer? Might be something for it though, you ought to check.

Edited by GrySql

2013 only a few month older than my Fusion.

I just checked but it doesn't look like it.

Not sure if I believe this website anyway. It shows the latest update was in Oct 2012 but the full history shows the latest was installed Oct 2013.

I am clearly missing a step in the process for the update, and the only documentation I can find is no more complete than what may be written by my cats. Any insight as to how you made a USB stick that worked for your update?

I am clearly missing a step in the process for the update, and the only documentation I can find is no more complete than what may be written by my cats. Any insight as to how you made a USB stick that worked for your update?

Any regular USB stick would be fine but IIRC it's best if it's empty before loading the update onto it.

The instructions on the website are pretty straight forward though.

What's your trouble? Not to hijack GrySql's thread.

Edited by corncobs

Just in case Peter, make sure you are extracting the files DIRECTLY to the USB stick and NOT to a hard drive first and then copying the files to the USB. It won't work that way.

I used a newly formatted memory stick and had no problems doing the update about a year ago on my '13 FFH. Instructions must be followed exactly as I recall

Just in case Peter, make sure you are extracting the files DIRECTLY to the USB stick and NOT to a hard drive first and then copying the files to the USB. It won't work that way.

Good point about extracting the files!

Edited by corncobs

Enabled track information to be displayed for Bluetooth-streamed media including metadata such as song title, artist name and album title

Previous USB or Bluetooth media source playback now resumed after ignition cycle

The first one I really want. The second one... mine already does this for Bluetooth, first day I got the car it was a bit weird to get in and my phone start streaming music as soon as the car was turned on.

Yeah, so, I work in IT. and can't make my SYNC recognize the stick. Freshly formatted,FAT, FAT32, NTFS, it doesn't seem to care. Files extracted from the drive right to the stick - no intermediary step. three tries now, no success. "SYNC does not recognize this USB device"

Yeah, so, I work in IT. and can't make my SYNC recognize the stick. Freshly formatted,FAT, FAT32, NTFS, it doesn't seem to care. Files extracted from the drive right to the stick - no intermediary step. three tries now, no success. "SYNC does not recognize this USB device"

Could it be too big or high quality? Being IT you certainly know what you are doing.

I remember using a cheap 4GB marketing give away stick.

I am working with a 2011 Ford Flex without MFT or Nav. The install directions are different for my '13 FFH with MFT/Nav.

Don't drag the downloaded update folder to the USB stick, just the individual files - but you probably have done that.

BTW, my early '13 FFH cannot be updated with a USB stick, only the Dealers laptop can update my Sync.

I even had the Ford IVT Rep on this Forum look into it, I gave up.

Your '14 should not be like mine.

Peter: One question popped into my head.......what update are you trying to do? The subject of the thread (Sync 4.4) is not for your FFH. I believe the latest update for the FFH (with My Ford Touch) is ver. 3.7 which I applied to my FFH in December and the Sync site tells me it's up to date. (I also have a '14 FFH). If you're trying to update to 4.4, which sounds like it's not for the MFT system, that's not going to work. If you're trying to update to 3.7, well that's a different story. The owner's manual says that "most" USB drives are supported. I can tell you that I have used both PNY and SanDisk brands in the system without issue and without formatting them. Maybe try a different brand than what you've already tried? Just a thought.

yeah - this is 3.7. burned a fresh stick last night - thinking that I would do this on the way to work today, and I just realized that I am riding with a coworker this morning......
It is kind of embarrassing to be able to solve big problems for a large oil and gas co, and not be able to do something simple like this. :gaah:

No Applink though? That was to be the latest update for the older Flex, which was supposed to be out 4th quarter last year.

yeah - this is 3.7. burned a fresh stick last night -

When I've done past updates I had to make sure the USB was formatted as FAT32, no idea if that is still the case. And/or maybe the USB version of the stick is a factor? I have some USBs that aren't recognized in my PC but are OK in my laptop, don't now why but have several so take the easy way out and use the one that works.

This is a nice surprise, was sure our Gen 1 Sync systems were abandoned.

I now have text messaging working on one phone. I can receive and have the message read, but replying fails.

Going to test the Bluetooth metadata later.

Still no AppLink though. Wonder if there is some weird licensing agreement with systems with voice navigation.

So I tested the Bluetooth Metadata and it does mostly work, even updates when the track changes, but for whatever reason it still will display 'Media Stream' when Navigation or anything is full screen. Seems like they forgot that.

I still can't send a text message from Sync though, I bet it has something to do with iMessage or Apple in general.

I am going to try with an Android phone, But I do kinda remember that already was working.

Edited by HighwayJerk

The Ford Owners website also said my 2015 FFH S had a new Sync update (v4.4) available.

I downloaded the updates exactly according to the instructions on the website (downoad to hard drive first, unzip, and then copy to your USB drive) which were the opposite of what Tony said below:

So I am wondering which is correct and why Tony stated the above?

Next, I went to my FFH which does not have MFT and pressed the media button and I don't see anything about installing the sync updates. The instructions from the Ford Owners website seem to assume you have MFT. Anyone know how to start the installation for non-MFT FFHs?

You download the file to your hard drive, then extract them to the USB. If you copy them after extraction, something gets lost and it wont install.

The Ford Owners website also said my 2015 FFH S had a new Sync update (v4.4) available.

I downloaded the updates exactly according to the instructions on the website (downoad to hard drive first, unzip, and then copy to your USB drive) which were the opposite of what Tony said below:

So I am wondering which is correct and why Tony stated the above?

Next, I went to my FFH which does not have MFT and pressed the media button and I don't see anything about installing the sync updates. The instructions from the Ford Owners website seem to assume you have MFT. Anyone know how to start the installation for non-MFT FFHs?

Hi Texasota,

Both ways are correct. After downloading the zip file to your computer, you can extract the files directly to your USB or to your desktop and move them over. To manually start the install in your vehicle, try pressing the following:

PHONE > Scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS > OK > Scroll to ADVANCED > OK > Scroll to INSTALL APPS > OK

Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca

Hi Texasota,

Both ways are correct. After downloading the zip file to your computer, you can extract the files directly to your USB or to your desktop and move them over. To manually start the install in your vehicle, try pressing the following:

PHONE > Scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS > OK > Scroll to ADVANCED > OK > Scroll to INSTALL APPS > OK

Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca

Thank you, Rebecca. That got me started down the installation path but the feedback during the update process from sync was far and few between. We did have to re-pair our phone (which the instructions told us we would need to do) and things seem to be working properly but I am left wondering if the installation fully completed successfully... Is there a way to display what version of Sync my FFH is now at?

Edited by Texasota

There sure is! The easiest way it to run a Vehicle Health Report; it'll update the software version on your Owner's account. Here are the instructions:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync/vehicle-health-and-performance/how-to-run-a-vehicle-health-report-with-sync.html?sync=sync

If after you run the report and your account reflects 4.4, it installed correctly. It sounds like the update took since you stated you had to re-pair your phone.

Rebecca