GrySql

Sync v4.4 for my Ford Flex

No Applink though? That was to be the latest update for the older Flex, which was supposed to be out 4th quarter last year.

yeah - this is 3.7. burned a fresh stick last night -

When I've done past updates I had to make sure the USB was formatted as FAT32, no idea if that is still the case. And/or maybe the USB version of the stick is a factor? I have some USBs that aren't recognized in my PC but are OK in my laptop, don't now why but have several so take the easy way out and use the one that works.

This is a nice surprise, was sure our Gen 1 Sync systems were abandoned.

I now have text messaging working on one phone. I can receive and have the message read, but replying fails.

Going to test the Bluetooth metadata later.

Still no AppLink though. Wonder if there is some weird licensing agreement with systems with voice navigation.

So I tested the Bluetooth Metadata and it does mostly work, even updates when the track changes, but for whatever reason it still will display 'Media Stream' when Navigation or anything is full screen. Seems like they forgot that.

I still can't send a text message from Sync though, I bet it has something to do with iMessage or Apple in general.

I am going to try with an Android phone, But I do kinda remember that already was working.

Edited by HighwayJerk

The Ford Owners website also said my 2015 FFH S had a new Sync update (v4.4) available.

I downloaded the updates exactly according to the instructions on the website (downoad to hard drive first, unzip, and then copy to your USB drive) which were the opposite of what Tony said below:

Just in case Peter, make sure you are extracting the files DIRECTLY to the USB stick and NOT to a hard drive first and then copying the files to the USB. It won't work that way.

So I am wondering which is correct and why Tony stated the above?

Next, I went to my FFH which does not have MFT and pressed the media button and I don't see anything about installing the sync updates. The instructions from the Ford Owners website seem to assume you have MFT. Anyone know how to start the installation for non-MFT FFHs?

You download the file to your hard drive, then extract them to the USB. If you copy them after extraction, something gets lost and it wont install.

The Ford Owners website also said my 2015 FFH S had a new Sync update (v4.4) available.

I downloaded the updates exactly according to the instructions on the website (downoad to hard drive first, unzip, and then copy to your USB drive) which were the opposite of what Tony said below:

So I am wondering which is correct and why Tony stated the above?

Next, I went to my FFH which does not have MFT and pressed the media button and I don't see anything about installing the sync updates. The instructions from the Ford Owners website seem to assume you have MFT. Anyone know how to start the installation for non-MFT FFHs?

Hi Texasota,

Both ways are correct. After downloading the zip file to your computer, you can extract the files directly to your USB or to your desktop and move them over. To manually start the install in your vehicle, try pressing the following:

PHONE > Scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS > OK > Scroll to ADVANCED > OK > Scroll to INSTALL APPS > OK

Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca

Hi Texasota,

Both ways are correct. After downloading the zip file to your computer, you can extract the files directly to your USB or to your desktop and move them over. To manually start the install in your vehicle, try pressing the following:

PHONE > Scroll to SYSTEM SETTINGS > OK > Scroll to ADVANCED > OK > Scroll to INSTALL APPS > OK

Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca

Thank you, Rebecca. That got me started down the installation path but the feedback during the update process from sync was far and few between. We did have to re-pair our phone (which the instructions told us we would need to do) and things seem to be working properly but I am left wondering if the installation fully completed successfully... Is there a way to display what version of Sync my FFH is now at?

Edited by Texasota

There sure is! The easiest way it to run a Vehicle Health Report; it'll update the software version on your Owner's account. Here are the instructions:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-technology/sync/vehicle-health-and-performance/how-to-run-a-vehicle-health-report-with-sync.html?sync=sync

If after you run the report and your account reflects 4.4, it installed correctly. It sounds like the update took since you stated you had to re-pair your phone.

Rebecca