Eric.C.Boston

Figuring out my first hybrid

I also see instantenous MPG in the 20's when in ICE mode, even when I'm getting average trip MPGs in the 50s, 60's, and even 70's. During these same high MPG trips, my SOC usually fluctuates at quite a low value, usually between 1/3 and less than 1/2 on the battery-fullness gauge.

That is one indicator to me that my MPG averages might be going irreparably down, in other words I may not be driving as efficiently as possible, is when I see the battery gauge getting above 3/4 SOC, letting me quickly know that I may want to let off on the accelerator to force a switch back to EV mode, since the continued ICE mode could be due to just the slightest increasing elevation causing the ICE to stay on.

So basically, I don't worry about how long I stay in EV, or how full I can get my battery, or what my instaneous MPG indicator says. I prefer to worry about how long my ICE, not EV, is on for any single length of time.

So as a whole, I just try to minimize the total energy spent accelerating and the energy losses due to braking, and let the indicators do what they may.

Edited by Hybrider

I only subtract 1 mpg because the odometer reads about 2.5% low in the 2010-12s. I believe the 2013+ may be the same.

I couldn't agree more. As you can see, I removed myself from fuelly because (1) I found I was a bit OCD about filling up at the same gas pump, etc, and (2) I'm very satisfied withe the mpg I'm getting and see no reason to spend time and attention on what it exactly turns out to be. Seeing the displayed mpg and subtracting 2 mpg does it for me. Now I just sit back and enjoy the ride, with very liberal use of CC..

I use Fuelly and I've learned to disregard where the gauge is after I fill up. A little above or below F? I don't care anymore - I just record the gallons pumped. I don't care about which pump at which station, or how many clicks I can squeeze in after the first. There's more value in the aggregate numbers anyhow. Looking at things tank by tank seems pointless. Looking at five or ten consecutive fills gives a better picture of how I've been doing. Looking at my individual tanks on a graph is like looking at the plans for a roller coaster - up one, down the next. Better to draw a nice trend line through the middle. Edited by md13ffhguy