Rough service conditions are rare. That's kind of like dirt road driving. I think !0,000 mile oil changes are fine. The car should need no maintenance other than what's in the book. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I think any semi-synthetic or synthetic is good. If you want to make the higher price of synthetic worthwhile you would have to go to 20,000 mile changes. Oil doesn't wear out but it gets contaminates in it and that's really the reason for oil and filter changes. Don't have any maintenance done other than what's in the book except when the car tells you there's a problem or you notice something.

Edited by lolder

A bunch of Nervous Nellies in here! I go with full synthetic when the car tells me it's time (approx 10k). I rotate the tires periodically, too. I'm not too concerned about them, though. Every 8-10k works for me. At 35k, my tires still look pretty good.

I'm not trying to get into a heated discussion I'm just saying dealers are making a nice buck recommending oil change intervals at 5k.

And i guarantee it's not so much about the profit on an oil change that the dealer is looking for. They want to develop a consistent, long-term relationship (aka a revenue stream).

I'm not criticizing anyone for having a dealer do oil changes at any interval they, the customer, chooses. All I'm suggesting is that the customer should be aware of the above. In the end, their goal is to get you to open your wallet as much as possible AND to feel good about it when you do! I totally get that some have more resources than others, and are not as concerned about the specific costs of ownership, or are just inclined to be comfortable with those costs at a higher level.

Me? I keep tight control over what comes out of my wallet. Call it frugal or cheap, it is what it is. I'm just generally distrustful of those who seek a piece of my resources, especially when they claim to be giving me a deal...