Sign in to follow this  
GrySql

Car Hacking Lawsuit

It's media frenzy. I don't believe anybody has hacked wirelessly into an unmodified car. The demo by a German hacker a while back was rigged.

Sync requires a cell phone BT connection for the 2 way communications, while OnStar has a built in Cellular modem. I would feel safer in the Ford with Sync than with the GM with Onstar, I can see those getting hacked a lot easier than Sync. As I see it, only those cars with Park Assist would be able to be steered remotely, though the Hybrid brakes, I can see that being bypassed on any of them. That is scary since the parking brake is electric, and wont engage if in drive.

With the Fords, since it only uses BlueTooth, they have to be within 300 feet of you to hack it. While that could happen, I know this because I was following my wife and my phone was paired with her car while I was in mine, the phone was paired to both cars, and I called her and freaked her out because it came on in her car when she answered, she heard herself come over the car speakers.