Chris Campbell

2014 FFH transmission replacement

Another early transmission failure. Has any body been able to find out from Ford what the manufacturing defect was? I expect them to deny coverage on the ones that fail after the hybrid warranty runs out. They said the Ford built transmission was new and improved over the one Aisin supplied for the 70,000 2010-12 Ford, Merc, Lincoln hybrids. Not so! Sad.

The C-Max's had a slew of the same transmissions fail. Ford knows all about this. When I had a '79 Old's diesel wagon that blew it's third head gasket at 8000 miles, I mightily resisted the urge to drive it on fire into GM chairman Roger Smith's living room. ( I hope I don't get censured for "flaming" on the forum ).

I have a 2013 FFH with just over 75k miles. About a week ago I started to hear the same grinding noise described in this thread. I thought it was front brakes (considering I haven't had brakes done yet) and brought it to my local mechanic. He said the front brakes were fine but he replaced the rears, then gave me the bad news that the noise was coming from the transmission. I brought it to the dealer after going back and forth with the service guy over the phone about whether or not the transmission is covered under the power train warranty. It wasn't until I read the fine print in the warranty that I clearly see that the cvt is a unique hybrid component and covered on the extended warranty. Anyway, they diagnosed it today and the new tranny is on order. They said they have no idea when it will be in and said that I can continue to drive the car while we wait. So it could be a week or 3 months or more as far as I know... he wouldn't commit to even a range of when it might be in. Also said that rental is not covered by Ford and that they don't do loaners anymore because it's too expensive. I said it's unfortunate that Ford is passing the cost of poor quality to the customer. Now I wait and hope that I don't break down commuting to or from work in the meantime.

Update on 12/5/2016 - The transmission took about 2 weeks to come in and, as of this morning, they have the car to do the replacement. Not too happy that I have to foot the bill for the rental, given that this is a known quality problem from Ford. Fingers crossed that it all goes well and that the new transmission is of better quality than the first.

Update on 12/13/2016 - Got the car back on 12/8 and everything seemed fine. The next day I was leaving a store and when the gas engine kicked on the car would shake noticeably and the gas engine would kick back off. I turned off the car to see if the issue would reset but no luck. Had Ford roadside assistance tow the car back to the dealer. The dealer did cover my alternate transportation (currently have a loaner) while they diagnose the issue. As of today, 12/13, the dealer has not informed me of their diagnosis.

Edited by g82martin

Go here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ and file a safety complaint with NHTSA. They might not think it's safety but early second generation Fusions and C-Max's have had far too many transmission failures. Ford has not been responsible after the hybrid warranty expires and they should be. This is a large manufacturing defect. They probably know which cars had the defective parts in them ( bearings? ) but to my knowledge no recalls have gone out. Good luck.

Edited by lolder