Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Stops and Adaptive Cruise Control

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,426 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:45 PM

I thought that as well. I've had it slow down incredibly fast and didn't think the regen brakes could do that.

That is one of the reasons that they try to keep the hybrid battery at 50%.  That leaves plenty of room for regenerative braking to charge the battery.  The only thing they can do with the friction brakes is get the pump running so the system is at max pressure when the brake pedal is hit.  They call it precharging the brakes.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 703 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:52 AM

I didn't realize that Adaptive Cruise Control can only use regen to slow the car. I thought it also used the friction brakes as needed.

It's always been my theory that ACC is nothing more than electronics. Nothing feels mechanical about it. Probably why it can't do a full stop. BTW, I think the collision warning system flashes and beeps when the computer calculates that regenerative braking alone might not be enough, and they've clearly calibrated this warning on the conservative side.

244968.png

#23 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

You guys are completely off.  The ACC system absolutely can and does use the friction brakes, just as it does in every other non-hybrid Ford/Lincoln model.  The stability control system also applies the friction brakes when needed using the same hardware.  However the system can not apply 100% braking power, it only can apply something like 20% of maximum braking, that's why the warning will come on when using ACC sometimes.  What might have you confused is that the brakes (friction or regen) are only applied while ACC is active, not when ACC is off and the collision warning comes on.  From what I've heard, the main reason the Ford system doesn't do a full stop is because it can't do it smoothly and quietly.  Once vehicle speed gets low there isn't enough background noise to drown out the actuator motor sound so Ford figured people would complain and think something was broken.  They must have resolved it though, since the 2017 Fusion system will have full-stop.

As for the Tesla system, well Tesla doesn't have any unique hardware, their lawyers just don't have as much experience as all the other OEMs yet.

• hybridbear, Texasota and TheEdge67 like this

#24 OFFLINE   James Kelker

James Kelker

• Hybrid Facebook Member
  • 4 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Ford Fusion Platinum Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:04 PM

The 2017 Fusions can have ACC with stop and go (Ford's term) so can go to a full stop and restart. I think if stopped longer than 3 seconds you have to tap the gas to resume. It will brake hard if needed.

• machoman1337 likes this

#25 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

I had a situation the other week with my MKZh on the turnpike. I was traveling along at 70 MPH with the ACC set at the 2nd level. A car came up behind me very fast, passed me and cut back in lane really fast. He immediately braked hard and my ACC immediately kicked in and my car was really breaking hard and the collision warning came on. Turned out there was a cop car on the side o the road. Glad I had the option as I'm not sure I could have reacted that fast and I used to race open wheeled cars and I was a Police Officer with a lot of defensive driving experience.

• Texasota, machoman1337 and Frank F like this

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#26 OFFLINE   darrelld

darrelld

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 175 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion Hybrid Titanium, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

I just replaced my Xterra with a 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek with the Eyesight system.  I got spoiled with the ACC on the FFH and wanted it on my vehicle.

I was told by the dealer that Subaru "Eyesight" will assist in the stopping when the vehicle is traveling at a slow speed.  I believe it is 30 mph.  If you are going faster than that you will get the warnings and adjusted speeds as the FFH does during ACC.

Maybe I need to test it out. :)

I was driving to work in my 2016 Outback with eyesight in heavy rain when a Mustang directly in front of me slammed on its brakes. At the time I was looking to the side mirror before passing and eyesight immediately sounded a warning while quickly applying the brakes to avoid the collision. I was going around 40-45 mph at the time.

• machoman1337 likes this

298222.png

383033.png

#27 OFFLINE   BGSHO

BGSHO

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Energi SE Luxury
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:48 AM

I just bought a 2017 Energi with the Stop and Go. It does fully stop the car and start back up but if you are sitting for more then a few seconds you just have to tap the gas to get going again. I drove 37 miles like that today. Set the cruise at 60 and just steered only. Was pretty amazing but scary I will admit! I traded in a 2015 SHO that didnt have stuff this car has. Its pretty neat! Oh and averaged 78.2 mpg with a full charge during that drive!!!!!

#28 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

Don't worry you will get used to the ACC. It's in all of my Ford/Lincoln cars. I wouldn't buy another car without it.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·