Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Incorrect fuel gauge reading???

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   FordServiceCA

FordServiceCA

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 19 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

Been to three dealers so far. Had some issues fixed, but have few that has not been.

Hey FernMTL,

I'm more than happy to look into this to see how I can help get your fuel gauge straightened out. Please PM your name, VIN, current odometer reading, dealer, best daytime phone number, and some details on the other issues you're experiencing. 

Nick

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 706 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:49 PM

Pretty ticked off right now. After about 4K miles of "normal" readings, I got in my car to find the gauge showing about 1/4 MORE gas than when I parked about 4 hours ago. Miles to E has also increased by about 200. Either someone dumped a few gallons of gas into my tank, or my car is screwed up again... And, no more B2B warranty. Not sure I want to pay someone to figure this out, since it doesn't seem to be a known or common problem.

So the above occurred on the 8th, then cleared up a day or two later. A couple weeks (and tankfulls) of normal behavior, but now it's flipping out on me again. Miles to E on midday Friday was about 200. Didn't drive it over the weekend, and by Tuesday morning (about 100 miles later), it displayed 300 Miles to E.

What's frustrating is, this is nothing that a service tech could observe if I bring it in. I think it needs to be diagnosed by someone who is familiar with how the system was designed to work. IMO, that would be the best person to know what might be causing this problem. Service techs are in the dark, and obviously, re-flashing the software is not on its own the fix.
  • hybridbear likes this

244968.png

#43 OFFLINE   RTimothy

RTimothy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 67 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion SE hybrid

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:36 PM

Hi,

Our low fuel light came on and indicated 22 miles to empty.  We drove a few miles to get gas and filled it. It only took 11 gallons. I continued filling for two pump shut offs. It then indicated 543 mile to empty which is close to normal. The tank specs say it holds 14 gallons.

So there are 3 gallons left in tank but it indicate only 22 miles to empty is not even close.... Any suggestions?

Tim fm Ct

Entering the hybrid experience

in our "new" 2013 SE.

#44 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 04 August 2015 - 09:09 PM

Our low fuel light came on and indicated 22 miles to empty.  We drove a few miles to get gas and filled it. It only took 11 gallons. I continued filling for two pump shut offs. It then indicated 543 mile to empty which is close to normal. The tank specs say it holds 14 gallons. So there are 3 gallons left in tank but it indicate only 22 miles to empty is not even close.... Any suggestions?

The fuel tank capacity (from the owner's manual) for the FFE is 14.0 but it is 13.5 gallons for the FFH so that likely accounts for some of your discrepancy.  But this is a frequently discussed issue/complaint on these forums. Filling the fuel tank on this car is a finicky process and it seems to be consistent in its variability and inconsistencies. The amount of discrepancy in the hand calculated MPG and trip computer MPG also can vary wildly from tank to tank but over the long haul most members report inflation of 2.0 - 2.5 MPG.

• GrySql likes this

#45 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 706 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 05 August 2015 - 01:50 AM

Hi,
    Our low fuel light came on and indicated 22 miles to empty.  We drove a few miles to get gas and filled it. It only took 11 gallons. I continued filling for two pump shut offs. It then indicated 543 mile to empty which is close to normal. The tank specs say it holds 14 gallons.
So there are 3 gallons left in tank but it indicate only 22 miles to empty is not even close.... Any suggestions?

Sounds normal to me!

244968.png

#46 OFFLINE   talmy

talmy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 130 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:10 AM

Sounds normal to me!

Yep. I think they want to make sure you don't run out of gas. A little over 11 gallons to fill at "Empty" seems about right. Our Camry hybrid is the same way -- it's good for another 50-100 miles after it claims "Empty". I just wish the Miles to Empty displays would show negative miles so you would be able to gauge how additionally far one can go.

• corncobs likes this

#47 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

Sounds normal to me!

As time passes as you drive these cars this fuel gauge variance will just become normal.  The computer accuracy at these very high mpg numbers is more of a guide than a absolute number.  Many members have kept accurate accounts of the pumped gas/miles driven and others use Fuelly to keep accurate accounts and as mentioned the car's system is optimistic.  It's easiest to just fill up when the fuel level gauge gets to about 1/4 of a tank, that way you don't end up worrying too much about the DTE.

It has been stated by an expert that "All Fords have the gauge calibrated so that it will show E with 1/8th of a tank left.  There's no physical "reserve" and nothing to stop you from using it all."

Using that as a rule of thumb, our FFH's should have approximately 1.68 gallons in the tank when the low fuel light comes on gas gauge reads empty.  YMMV...

Edited by GrySql, 07 August 2015 - 11:19 PM.
correction from talmy

• hybridbear likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#48 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:18 PM

Using that as a rule of thumb, our FFH's should have approximately 1.68 gallons in the tank when the low fuel light comes on.  YMMV...

GrySql, you forgot to round up properly when you divided 13.5 by 8.  Should be 1.69.  ;)

• GrySql and corncobs like this

#49 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:50 PM

GrySql, you forgot to round up properly when you divided 13.5 by 8.  Should be 1.69.  ;)

Awww, dang it. 

I cleverly covered any discrepancies by using the YMMV catchall and the word 'approximately'.

:P

Edited by GrySql, 05 August 2015 - 12:51 PM.

• Texasota likes this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#50 OFFLINE   talmy

talmy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:36 AM

It has been stated by an expert that "All Fords have the gauge calibrated so that it will show E with 1/8th of a tank left.  There's no physical "reserve" and nothing to stop you from using it all."

Using that as a rule of thumb, our FFH's should have approximately 1.68 gallons in the tank when the low fuel light comes on.  YMMV...

I'd interpret this as 1.68 gallons left when the MTE reaches 0, not when the low fuel light comes on. That seems to match my experience.

On a related note about intentional miss-calibration, there's an international agreement that speedometers must read 5kph (or about 3mph) high. 

• GrySql likes this

#51 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

On a related note about intentional miss-calibration, there's an international agreement that speedometers must read 5kph (or about 3mph) high. 

That is the first I have ever heard of that. Can you elaborate or point us to documentation?

#52 ONLINE   murphy

murphy

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,464 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 07 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

Mine is 1 mph high according to my Garmin gps.  Speedometer accuracy changes as the tires wear down.

• hybridbear likes this

#53 OFFLINE   talmy

talmy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

That is the first I have ever heard of that. Can you elaborate or point us to documentation?

A coworker pointed that out and showed the standard about 10 years ago. However it looks like it may have changed to 4km/h recently. See Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia....onal_agreements which has a footnote pointing to the actual standards document.

#54 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 09:36 PM

A coworker pointed that out and showed the standard about 10 years ago. However it looks like it may have changed to 4km/h recently. See Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia....onal_agreements which has a footnote pointing to the actual standards document.

Interesting reading. These standards/regulations state that "The indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed" and they cap the amount of inflation that is allowed in the speedometer reading. But I did not see anything where it required a specific amount of inflation. I could have missed it.

#55 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

Mine is 1 mph high according to my Garmin gps.  Speedometer accuracy changes as the tires wear down.

That's probably the reason why they need to start "high"
  • GrySql likes this
2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·