Sign in to follow this  
md13ffhguy

Incorrect fuel gauge reading???

After shutting down yesterday with >3/4 displayed, I was surprised this morning when I started and only saw about 1/4, which seems accurate. Drove 30 miles to work, and saw a slight drop. Checked FLPM upon arrival and it shows 26%, which was pretty much where I estimated it should be...

One of those times where I wish my car would just stay normal or stay broken... either would be fine with me right now!!!

Well, that's what I was hoping, but it looks like Tex wins this round...

Going into work this morning, everything still seemed back to normal. Fuel level displayed under 1/2 and slowly dropping. A short midday trip between work locations and it was still OK. Then, when I went to leave work, the goofiness returned...

I first noticed the gauge was above half. I shut the car off and restarted and entered ET mode. As I drove home, I watched the FLPM increase from 64% to 79%, with the gauge showing a corresponding level just over 3/4 full. At this point I'm thinking it should be around 30% or so...

Meagan, please advise!

I'm so sorry about all the delay on this. I've been super under the weather. I'm going to loop your customer service manager in on this.

Meagan

I've been super under the weather.

Meagan

That's terrible, hope you are on the mend and can enjoy cookies again soon. We missed you.

Yesterday, 2 trips "normal," 1 trip in between was way goofy. This morning, everything seems normal. 78 mi to E. Hopefully, I'll see the Low Fuel light come on soon... Hopefully before I run out!

Sorry to hear that. I hope you're feeling better now.

That's terrible, hope you are on the mend and can enjoy cookies again soon. We missed you.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. Slowly, but surely, I'm improving and will be running on all cylinders again.

Meagan

Received the paperwork from my initial service visit for this problem. Here's what it says:

Cause: IPC NEEDED UPDATE FOR PROPER FUEL LEVEL PER TSB:14-02-19

Correction: PERFORM OUTLINED PINPOINT TEST IN TSB:14-02-19 AND PERFORM IPC REPROGRAM---CLEAR CODES---OKAY

I can't find any details about this TSB. My gauge seems to be working accurately as of late. I went all the way to 0 mi to E - yes, either brave or stupid, but I wanted to run it low and fill all the way up, figuring that would expose the system to the entire range from E to F. Just seemed to make sense to me.

Received the paperwork from my initial service visit for this problem. Here's what it says:

Cause: IPC NEEDED UPDATE FOR PROPER FUEL LEVEL PER TSB:14-02-19

Correction: PERFORM OUTLINED PINPOINT TEST IN TSB:14-02-19 AND PERFORM IPC REPROGRAM---CLEAR CODES---OKAY

I can't find any details about this TSB. My gauge seems to be working accurately as of late. I went all the way to 0 mi to E - yes, either brave or stupid, but I wanted to run it low and fill all the way up, figuring that would expose the system to the entire range from E to F. Just seemed to make sense to me.

I added this to the case notes, and I see your CSM reached out today and has a follow-up call set for tomorrow. Please keep me updated if the concern returns.

Meagan

Pretty ticked off right now. After about 4K miles of "normal" readings, I got in my car to find the gauge showing about 1/4 MORE gas than when I parked about 4 hours ago. Miles to E has also increased by about 200. Either someone dumped a few gallons of gas into my tank, or my car is screwed up again... And, no more B2B warranty. Not sure I want to pay someone to figure this out, since it doesn't seem to be a known or common problem.

Pretty ticked off right now. After about 4K miles of "normal" readings, I got in my car to find the gauge showing about 1/4 MORE gas than when I parked about 4 hours ago. Miles to E has also increased by about 200. Either someone dumped a few gallons of gas into my tank, or my car is screwed up again... And, no more B2B warranty. Not sure I want to pay someone to figure this out, since it doesn't seem to be a known or common problem.

If this is a continuation of the issue that you reported & had a repair attempted on before the 3/36 warranty expired it may be covered because you originally reported the problem before the warranty expired. I would ask Meagan about that.

Have a similar problem. Once i full the tank, the gauge drop by a quarter after +- 10 miles. After that it settles. When I'm empty, 0 miles to go, I can only fill with 40 liters of gas (tanks is 53 liters). So in theory, I have +- 10 liters (2.5 gallons) left in the tank when I'm dry empty. The dealer looked at it, said It's normal again!!

How about trying a different Dealer, or get our Canadian Ford Rep to help you.

Been to three dealers so far. Had some issues fixed, but have few that has not been.

Edited by FernMTL

Just flip your fuel gauge computer screen. :)

I just purchased a 2014 fusion hybrid last week and I can't figure out why my mileage is bad. I know it has only been a week, but I drive 40 miles round trip. I am getting 44 mpg average. I filled up last Friday before leaving work and it is almost empty after 4 days of driving. I will keep an eye on it to see if something is wrong with my computer.

Been to three dealers so far. Had some issues fixed, but have few that has not been.

Hey FernMTL,

I'm more than happy to look into this to see how I can help get your fuel gauge straightened out. Please PM your name, VIN, current odometer reading, dealer, best daytime phone number, and some details on the other issues you're experiencing.

Nick

So the above occurred on the 8th, then cleared up a day or two later. A couple weeks (and tankfulls) of normal behavior, but now it's flipping out on me again. Miles to E on midday Friday was about 200. Didn't drive it over the weekend, and by Tuesday morning (about 100 miles later), it displayed 300 Miles to E.

What's frustrating is, this is nothing that a service tech could observe if I bring it in. I think it needs to be diagnosed by someone who is familiar with how the system was designed to work. IMO, that would be the best person to know what might be causing this problem. Service techs are in the dark, and obviously, re-flashing the software is not on its own the fix.

Hi,

Our low fuel light came on and indicated 22 miles to empty. We drove a few miles to get gas and filled it. It only took 11 gallons. I continued filling for two pump shut offs. It then indicated 543 mile to empty which is close to normal. The tank specs say it holds 14 gallons.

So there are 3 gallons left in tank but it indicate only 22 miles to empty is not even close.... Any suggestions?

Our low fuel light came on and indicated 22 miles to empty. We drove a few miles to get gas and filled it. It only took 11 gallons. I continued filling for two pump shut offs. It then indicated 543 mile to empty which is close to normal. The tank specs say it holds 14 gallons. So there are 3 gallons left in tank but it indicate only 22 miles to empty is not even close.... Any suggestions?

The fuel tank capacity (from the owner's manual) for the FFE is 14.0 but it is 13.5 gallons for the FFH so that likely accounts for some of your discrepancy. But this is a frequently discussed issue/complaint on these forums. Filling the fuel tank on this car is a finicky process and it seems to be consistent in its variability and inconsistencies. The amount of discrepancy in the hand calculated MPG and trip computer MPG also can vary wildly from tank to tank but over the long haul most members report inflation of 2.0 - 2.5 MPG.

Hi,

Our low fuel light came on and indicated 22 miles to empty. We drove a few miles to get gas and filled it. It only took 11 gallons. I continued filling for two pump shut offs. It then indicated 543 mile to empty which is close to normal. The tank specs say it holds 14 gallons.

So there are 3 gallons left in tank but it indicate only 22 miles to empty is not even close.... Any suggestions?

Sounds normal to me!

Sounds normal to me!

Yep. I think they want to make sure you don't run out of gas. A little over 11 gallons to fill at "Empty" seems about right. Our Camry hybrid is the same way -- it's good for another 50-100 miles after it claims "Empty". I just wish the Miles to Empty displays would show negative miles so you would be able to gauge how additionally far one can go.

Sounds normal to me!

As time passes as you drive these cars this fuel gauge variance will just become normal. The computer accuracy at these very high mpg numbers is more of a guide than a absolute number. Many members have kept accurate accounts of the pumped gas/miles driven and others use Fuelly to keep accurate accounts and as mentioned the car's system is optimistic. It's easiest to just fill up when the fuel level gauge gets to about 1/4 of a tank, that way you don't end up worrying too much about the DTE.

It has been stated by an expert that "All Fords have the gauge calibrated so that it will show E with 1/8th of a tank left. There's no physical "reserve" and nothing to stop you from using it all."

Using that as a rule of thumb, our FFH's should have approximately 1.68 gallons in the tank when the low fuel light comes on gas gauge reads empty. YMMV...

Edited by GrySql
correction from talmy

Using that as a rule of thumb, our FFH's should have approximately 1.68 gallons in the tank when the low fuel light comes on. YMMV...

GrySql, you forgot to round up properly when you divided 13.5 by 8. Should be 1.69. ;)

GrySql, you forgot to round up properly when you divided 13.5 by 8. Should be 1.69. ;)

Awww, dang it.

I cleverly covered any discrepancies by using the YMMV catchall and the word 'approximately'.

:P

Edited by GrySql

It has been stated by an expert that "All Fords have the gauge calibrated so that it will show E with 1/8th of a tank left. There's no physical "reserve" and nothing to stop you from using it all."

Using that as a rule of thumb, our FFH's should have approximately 1.68 gallons in the tank when the low fuel light comes on. YMMV...

I'd interpret this as 1.68 gallons left when the MTE reaches 0, not when the low fuel light comes on. That seems to match my experience.

On a related note about intentional miss-calibration, there's an international agreement that speedometers must read 5kph (or about 3mph) high.