Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Incorrect fuel gauge reading???

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

I think I'm losing my mind. I last filled up on Feb 26, and I reset Trip 1 at every fill-up. It tells me that I've gone 417 miles since then, which seems about right. I'm driving home today and flipping through the screens, I see my Dist to E is 499 miles - IMPOSSIBLE! At that point I was very confused (and still am). I checked the fuel gauge and sure enough, it's showing midway between 3/4 and F. I'm thinking about what I've done over the past several days, and stopping at a gas station isn't something I can recall doing! My wife thinks I stopped and forgot about it, but that isn't the case - unless I'm losing my mind.

I even just went through my recent credit card history, and there's no indication I purchased gas since Feb 26.

I just went out to the garage to see if there was any change (was hoping it corrected itself), and now I'm even more confused, because the DTE is now 551... As a matter of fact, since I drove about 70 miles today, this DTE makes it seem like I filled up last night or this morning. I certainly did not!

Could my fuel gauge have gone haywire??

244968.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

Something is screwed up.  Went out again and put the key in and "started" the car. The fuel gauge showed half a tank! pulled the key out and tried again and it read 5/8 with a 374 DTE. Once more and it read almost 3/4 and 465 DTE. Anybody else had this??

244968.png

#3 OFFLINE   corncobs

corncobs

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 2,836 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 FFH

Posted 10 March 2015 - 05:56 PM

Sounds like somebody was really kind and gave you a free tank of gas. ;)

Just like this one

I have no idea what they are talking about but it's pretty funny.

But seriously that is really odd and I have not seen anything like that.

Edited by corncobs, 10 March 2015 - 06:00 PM.

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE - Lady in Red
Ruby Red / 505A, Tech Pkg, Rear Sensing System, 18" Luxury Wheels

215477.png

#4 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:10 PM

I actually was thinking someone took my car and filled it without my knowledge, but who does that???? :)

BTW, just checked again and it's just under half a tank and 316 mi to E... Fourth different reading since actually driving anywhere. I can't wait to see what it reads in the morning.

244968.png

#5 OFFLINE   SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 933 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Our stable: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Ecoboost Super Crew

Posted 10 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

:lurk: :lurk:

White Platinum Metallic Tri-Coat

Light Dune Leather interior

All of the bells and whistles (without that silly panoramic roof).

#6 OFFLINE   machoman1337

machoman1337

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:FFH SE Ice Storm/Lexus LS430

Posted 10 March 2015 - 10:47 PM

I've had instances where I turn off the car, and the next time I turn it on the fuel gauge is little higher than before.

Then again this car claims that I used up half a tank when in reality I used less than 20 out of 51 litres. 

My precious: 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE Ice Storm - Luxury Package (Dune), Navigation, Tech Package, Active Park Assist, Moonroof (ugh), 18" premium painted luxury wheels. Built in July 2012, bought CPO (former demonstrator) in May 2014. 6.3L/100 km lifetime fuel economy

Current temporary ride: 2003 Lexus LS430 w/navigation and parking sensors. Bought in December 2002, selling when I graduate

#7 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

Great news! (Not really...) I started this morning with less than half a tank (246 mi to E) and arrived at work with a nearly FULL tank (571 mi to E)! This hybrid is so amazing, it even generates gas while I drive! ;)

So, not really as excited as I might sound... Who's the Ford rep on here who can assist me?

244968.png

#8 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:18 AM

That's quite odd!! Sounds like some part has failed...hopefully the dealer will be able to figure it out quickly.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#9 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 410 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Model T
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:19 AM

Great news! (Not really...) I started this morning with less than half a tank (246 mi to E) and arrived at work with a nearly FULL tank (571 mi to E)! This hybrid is so amazing, it even generates gas while I drive! ;)

So, not really as excited as I might sound... Who's the Ford rep on here who can assist me?

-Waves hello!-

I recommend heading to your dealer to get this mystery solved. Once you have an appointment set up, send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll loop in your customer service manager on this. :)

Meagan

#10 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 11 March 2015 - 12:59 PM

Your fuel gauge computer is WHACKED!  The gauge you look at is not directly connected to the float in the tank, its a summarization of different factors, the float level, the MPG calculations, fuel flow, etc. It is then a readout of what it interprets as the fuel you have available and DTE you can go on it, and not really the actual level of fuel in the tank.  

Dealer should be able to figure it out. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#11 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

-Waves hello!-

I recommend heading to your dealer to get this mystery solved. Once you have an appointment set up, send me a PM with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll loop in your customer service manager on this. :)

Meagan

Hi Meagan! PM sent - Thanks a bunch!

244968.png

#12 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:04 PM

Ride home was interesting, as it actually read FULL at one point, with 620 mi to E! Upon arriving home, it was at 593. My best guess, based on the trip odometer (which still seems to be displaying accurate info), is that I should be at about 80 mi to E right now, meaning the Low Fuel light should be about to come on.

While this problem seems to be somewhat benign for someone like me who's been closely monitoring fuel usage, it could be disastrous for someone like my wife, who simply relies on the gauge. She often drives some long distances, and I'd be quite irritated if she were to run out of gas far from home with her gauge seeming to show she has plenty.

• hybridbear likes this

244968.png

#13 OFFLINE   DeeCee

DeeCee

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 418 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2004 Toyota Tacoma, 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2017

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:11 PM

Is the low fuel light independent of the fuel quantity computer? I sure hope so.

2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Reserve

MKZ Technology package

White Platinum

Cappuccino Leather

#14 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:26 AM

Is the low fuel light independent of the fuel quantity computer? I sure hope so.

I'm not sure I'll find out, as I plan to fuel up this morning, but I doubt it. At this point, I only have a good guess as to how much gas is in the tank, so I have to be conservative.

244968.png

#15 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 12 March 2015 - 09:48 AM

It comes on based on DTE and float position(Calculated).  What the OP could be having is a faulty float sensor, that can cause all kinds of whackydoodles. 

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#16 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

Ride home was interesting, as it actually read FULL at one point, with 620 mi to E! Upon arriving home, it was at 593. My best guess, based on the trip odometer (which still seems to be displaying accurate info), is that I should be at about 80 mi to E right now, meaning the Low Fuel light should be about to come on.

While this problem seems to be somewhat benign for someone like me who's been closely monitoring fuel usage, it could be disastrous for someone like my wife, who simply relies on the gauge. She often drives some long distances, and I'd be quite irritated if she were to run out of gas far from home with her gauge seeming to show she has plenty.

The same thing would happen to my wife. Good thing she usually drives the Focus Electric which starts out with a "full tank" daily.

We used to have a Saab 9-5 which had the opposite problem. The car would read empty on the fuel gauge when it actually had fuel. Apparently Saab used a type of plastic that was destroyed by the ethanol in the fuel over time. Thus on our decade old car the fuel float would periodically fail.

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#17 OFFLINE   FordService

FordService

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Official Ford Motor Co.
  • 410 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Model T
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hi Meagan! PM sent - Thanks a bunch!

Got it! No problem. :D

Meagan

#18 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 04:21 PM

Got it! No problem. :D

Meagan

Second pm sent this morning. You didn't answer my question and my service appointment is early Monday morning. Thanks!

244968.png

#19 OFFLINE   md13ffhguy

md13ffhguy

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 745 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

Visited dealer service center this morning and spent a little over 1.5 hours there while they reprogrammed something. It was covered under warranty, and they offered to mail the paperwork, so unfortunately, I don't know exactly what they did. Problem is, nothing seems to have changed. Upon arriving to work, the gauge displays significantly more fuel than when I left the dealer... Was 475 MTE (3/4) and now shows 553 MTE (>7/8). Trip 1 shows I've already traveled 200 miles on the current tank, so neither number seems accurate.

244968.png

#20 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:42 PM

Visited dealer service center this morning and spent a little over 1.5 hours there while they reprogrammed something. It was covered under warranty, and they offered to mail the paperwork, so unfortunately, I don't know exactly what they did. Problem is, nothing seems to have changed. Upon arriving to work, the gauge displays significantly more fuel than when I left the dealer... Was 475 MTE (3/4) and now shows 553 MTE (>7/8). Trip 1 shows I've already traveled 200 miles on the current tank, so neither number seems accurate.

Have you checked ET Mode to see what your car reports for FLPM? Check out this post for the details about this ET Mode screen.

I would try driving with ET Mode up and watch the FLPM and the fuel gauge. Assuming they move together it seems likely that you have a bad fuel-level sensor.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·