Sign in to follow this  
machoman1337

Do you like the spoiler? And what is its aerodynamic impact?

I think the car looks much better with the spoiler. When we bought our car my wife made the decisions on what the car had and did not have. She thought the Fusion looked incomplete without the spoiler. So we got the spoiler.

I have seen very few Titaniums with a spoiler. Most of the cars I have seen with a spoiler are the SE. We have the SE with the Sport package which includes the 5 spoke wheels and spoiler.

Edited by jeffo65

All a matter of personal taste. I like the spoiler, I think the car is incomplete, naked, without it.

Edited by acdii

Their only purpose is a styling issue and serve no useful purpose beyong that. Some owners like them others don't. They don't personally appeal to me and they remind of the tail fins incorporated into the car designs of the late 1950s.

Ford pretty much made up my mind for me, by which options they elected to put on the different models of FFH, FFE, and MKZh. It made my choice of getting the HySE FFH very easy to make. I couldn't choose the FFE, the MKZh, or the HyTi since they only came with leather. So that left me with the choice between the FFH S and the FFH SE.

Again it was an easy choice for me of the SE over the S, since I had to have the SiriusXM, and I really wanted the sportiness of the 5-spoke wheels and the spoiler that made up the SE Appearance Package. The icing on the cake differences of the SE over the S for me were the power driver's seat and the outside temp on the display.

Otherwise I probably would have gone with the S for maximum fuel economy. BTW, the Order Guide for the 2015 FFH says you can get MFT on the S, but I don't see anywhere to select the MFT option in the Build and Price for the S. Edit: However I just noticed the 2016 Order Guide does _not_ show the MFT as an option on the S.

But I do really, really like that FFH spoiler. :flirt: It is not gaudy, and is so elegantly sporty. To me, the FFH with the 5-spoke wheels and the spoiler is the old fogey grown-up and roomy version of the Mustang, at least as far as looks go.

Edited by Hybrider

The icing on the cake differences of the SE over the S for me were the power driver's seat and the outside temp on the display.

I have a 2015 S and the outside temperature is always displayed on both the drivers instrument panel and also on the radio/HVAC center display (two different locations). I think this was also true for the 2014 S and the 2013 S.

There has been different threads that have discussed differences between the dash displays of the S as compared to the higher trim levels but I don't think there are any.

Edited by Texasota

I think the rear spoiler is used to squeeze out more mpg's through aerodynamics.

I was doing an online build of a 2014 Ford Focus. It has an option for a Super Fuel Economy Package which includes aero hubcaps and a rear spoiler. So I think the spoiler is included for a reason...

Edited by billford

That is one thing I have often wondered, is whether the spoiler increases or decreases the aerodynamics of the FFH in typical city speeds, in the 30-50 MPH range.

Nope it has no aerodynamic qualities at all. No downforce from it. Purely for looks. What sucks is you cant get it in the SE Luxury, only the Sport Appearance or Ti.

And even if the spoiler produces no appreciable downforce, possibly even at FFH top-speed, it would be a really remarkable engineering feat in itself if they have designed the spoiler to have a totally neutral effect on the air turbulence in the region of the car at all speeds.

I would be willing to bet that the spoiler either enhances or detracts from the aerodynamic characteristics of the FFH, particularly at the rear, and most likely does not have a completely neutral effect.

Here is the link again to the really cool youtube video of the 2013 Fusion, without the spoiler, being shown in the Ford wind tunnel with the smoke flow characteristics in the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o8xvuzyowU