Burke

2015 FFH, is steady 65 mph too fast for good mpg?

Compared to the Edge it is. In my observations, with 5 family members and luggage in the car driving from IL to MN, at 65 MPH it gets about 43 MPG in 70-80* weather, so the AC was also on. Above that the MPG will tank. 80 MPH will drop it to about 36-38. Also factor in head winds and tail winds.

If the Edge is anything like the Flex or MKT on the highway, it was about 23 MPG, so you can nearly double the MPG in the Fusion. Once you start driving it, and get the feel for it, you might even be able to go above 43.

OK, if comparing non Hybrid Fusion to FFH, then the difference is smaller, but, the FFH will still give better MPG in all respects. Try finding a 2.5L SE though, chances are you will have to order one as most dealers opt for the Ecoboost for inventory. I just did a search by me, none with the 2.5, they all have either a 1.5 Ecoboost or the 2.0 Ecoboost.

The 2.5 Is a good engine, the 10-12 Hybrid had a similar engine, same displacement, probably same engine with just a different valve train to make it atkinson cycle. On the highway its got very good MPG, in fact the 2010 Hybrid I had got up to 65 MPG on the highway, which surprised the hell out of me.

With either choice, hope you find what you are looking for.

One run I plan on taking is to NC to see my brother. He's got a '12 FFH and swears he can do NC ==> NY on one tank. I want to better that (like have some noticeable gas level left?). Sibling competition, ya see.

Looking back at my old fill-ups, here are the tank results from my 2010 FFH from going from middle of VA to Syracuse (used to go every July for the Booilermaker run), and if you are from Oswego you can definitely gauge from there.

2009: 556 miles (took 13,91 gallons to fill) / 2010: 560 miles (took 13.87 gallons to fill) / 2011: 501 miles (took 12.53 gallons to fill) / 2012: 587 miles (took 14.93 gallons to fill)

So IIRC the 2010 FFH had a 17 gallon tank (most I ever put in was 16.18 gallons and the miles to E was less than 0), I assume the 2012 has the same capacity? If so, yeah I guess it's possible, I had several 600+ tanks, best was 639 miles on 15.42 gallons for 41.44 MPG. (but later beat that by a long shot with the 2013 FFH with 706 miles on 13.18 gallons for 53.55 MPG). So depending on where in NC and where in NY it's doable, but Oswego ain't exactly on the PA border. :)

There is no crossover speed at which you get much better or worse mpg. The faster you go, the worse your mpg. Over a broad speed range the penalty is about 6 mpg per 10 mph. Rising temperatures improve mpg about 2 mpg per 10º F. My 2010 FFH gets about 46 mpg at 50 mph at 60º F. The 2013+'s are about 4 mpg better. In Summertime 70 mph highway driving I get 39 mpg. Moderate traffic on freeways sometimes creates a little tailwind that gives you a few mpg boost.

There are many reasons why many of us feel we need to drive fast. If you are able to remove some of those and drive at the speed limit and become a "RightLaneCruiser" as a poster on another blog calls himself, there are many rewards. I realize that is hard to do in many high pressure areas. Many who've accomplished it say the few minutes more time the trips have taken have significantly lowered their life stress.

Edited by lolder

The EnergI is an advantage for short range, low speed. It's heavier and worse at long range high speed. Remember leather is really hot to sit on in a sun drenched parked car in the south.

On the flip side, in a non hybrid vehicle, there is the sweet spot, where the engine is the most efficient at a given RPM. Some vehicles, this can be 60 MPH, while in others it can be near 70 MPH. This is where gearing, engine management and road conditions all come together to where the car can cruise at the given speed and use as little fuel to do it as possible. In the old Crown Vic I had, 68 MPH was its sweet spot, where it would sit at that speed all day and get over 25 MPG. For a 5000# full size sedan, that was pretty good as most compacts or mid size were getting that back then. The 2010 Fusion SPort, was about 63 MPH when it was in its sweet spot, 24-28 IIRC was what it would get, but I didn't do a lot of highway cruising, just one trip to the Dells when I first got it. My MKT is about 24 at 63 MPH, but it is temperamental as it was all over the place on my last trip, and really could not nail down its real sweet spot, too much head wind to deal with, but if I got behind a motor coach pulling another vehicle, it jumped to 28, and with adaptive cruise set to 2 bars, it kept nice pace in that slipstream. My fuelly shows that it was all over the place too, between 20 and 24 MPG. The Flex was much more consistent on highway, though I dont recall what it got as that was a long time ago and I only had 2 highway trips in it. The 2013 Flex I never had a chance to take it on a trip before totaling it out.

For hybrids though, the ppprius was the most efficient on the highway, I got 65 MPG coming back from PA in it, but it took some really good driving to get it, found a trick of trailing a flat bed semi by 2 seconds did it. Since it didn't have adaptive cruise, I had to constantly monitor my distance and throttle, so I was pretty well worn out after that trip. The 2010 I did several trip around Chicago on the Interstates, and always got good MPG, always above 40, and that including speeds up to 75 MPH. Difference between the 2010 and 13+ Hybrids is the ICE is on above 45 MPH, and that 2.5 ICE was very efficient at highway speeds, which is why I am surprised Ford changed it out for the 2.0.

Here is a suggestion, if you can find a 2.5 Fusion, and a Hybrid, take each one out on a highway cruise and see what the MPG is like in each one. Either car drives about the same, and will have about the same options in base trims. Chances are the 2.5 will most likely do very well at highway speeds, with consistent 30's.

Yeah you went all technical on mine. LOL Sweet spot is my laymans term for what you just posted. :)

Good luck, the Fusion is really a nice car, hope she likes it.