Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Regen Braking Issue When Turning

The following is what I'm about to post on safercar.gov. Very scary and disappointing series of events with my wife's 2013 Fusion Hybrid. If anyone experienced similar, I would love to hear about it. I will answer any questions that users may post.

==========

Beginning about January 2015, and occurring about every other month for a total of six incidents, my wife's 2013 Fusion Hybrid (currently with 25,500 miles) experienced what feels like a power surge when making a boulevard left turn. (I experienced this once in this vehicle; the remainder were when my wife was driving.) It is possible that this is related to the regenerative braking system at least in part, as I have seen others describe it as a feeling of hitting an ice patch. The general conditions would include: a) foot on brake; b) decelerating; c) presumably in EV mode [though not necessarily]; d) beginning a left turn [but we believe this is incidental]; e) warm engine; f) less than 30 mph. On October 1, 2015, a new condition caused the feeling of unintended acceleration, as my wife was on a side street near our home when she was approaching a stop sign and felt the power surge, which she states was many times worse than any other instance of this event that she ever experienced. Conditions this time included: a) foot on brake; b) decelerating; c) presumably in EV mode [though not necessarily]; d) straight path [that is, no wheel turns]; e) warm engine; f) less than 25 mph.

We took the vehicle to the local Ford dealership the evening of the last incident. Of course they found no codes and no evidence of anything wrong. They tell me that they drove the vehicle a few miles the first day they had it, and about 20 miles the following day and could not duplicate. (Even if they DID duplicate it, their porter was driving it and no codes would be generated, so the result would have been the same.) I also contacted the Ford Customer Relationship Center while it was in the shop to document that we had this problem. They seemed helpful and actually called to follow up the next day but the bottom line is, unless Ford Motor Company and their Engineering community acknowledge a problem and do something to address it, it will forever be a ghost in the machine, with the blame and doubt falling on the vehicle owners, not unlike Toyota's well documented, fatal and shameful unintended acceleration cases.

I am concerned about our safety while driving the vehicle of course, but also financially because this is a purchase not a lease, and we intended to keep this car for some time; I would definitely be taking a loss if we decided to sell it. I hope that no one gets hurt or killed while this problem exists and urge Ford Motor Company to get to the root of the issue that myself and other owners are fearfully experiencing.

Edited by dtw-dave

I don't know how to merge topics, but I just posted my experience with this issue on my 2013 Fusion Hybrid here at the site (didn't know this thread existed ... sorry, I did check). Reading through all your tribulations and detail hybridbear, I don't know how Ford Engineering can ignore this, and not be able to solve this problem! I am definitely tuned into this thread ... I cannot wait to see it resolved. I hope it is resolved. I have purchased a dozen Fords in the last 30 years, and have a Mustang on my list, but this is definitely shaking my confidence. We love our Fusion, but this is beyond ridiculous ... it's downright dangerous. If it would help to communicate directly, let me know how we can arrange that!

With all due respect Waldo, until you experience it, please don't call it a "blip." My wife drives this car and I don't enjoy the prospect of her getting hurt. On top of that, if she gets into an accident as a result of this, who are you to say that someone can't get killed. Not to mention the additional cost I will incur from my insurance company for having an accident. Yes, this is serious. And yes, this is on the level of Toyota in the sense that Ford is doing nothing about a problem that can injure people. Is the GM ignition switch issue just a hiccup in the air bag system to you?

Do you really believe that the "solution" to resolving this problem is to brake harder, on a $35,000 car!? Read through the thread that hermans linked to.

Also, I don't know what the problem is, which is why I'm seeking information about it. It feels like acceleration. I'm not an engineer.

Edited by dtw-dave

The solution to the problem needs to come from Ford, the fact that you don't know what it is doesn't mean that Ford isn't working on it. The solution to not causing an accident is to press the brake harder.

I experience this "type" of thing (may be the exact same thing, may be a different issue, so I'll call it the same "type" of thing) almost every morning as I pull into the spot at my company's parking lot; does not seem to have anything to do with acceleration but instead something to do with regen/anti-lock or something related to the way the car reads the feedback from whatever sensors report the speed of each wheel, as it only happens to me when the wheel is turned more than slightly, like turning into parking space as noted above.

So dtw-dave does it seem like there is acceleration occurring, or a change in the way the braking is occurring where there seems to be a gap/lapse in the braking when you expect the braking resistance to be constant? That's what the feeling is for my car, that there's a temporary lapse in the braking resistance and if not prepared for it, the driver can be caught by surprise.

Like Waldo noted, it's probably something that engineers are already working, so if you submit the above to safercar.gov it probably wouldn't be the first time someone has.

Waldo; I don't need your condescending anecdotes. Please stop talking. You are approaching troll status. Tell that to a pedestrian that gets nailed by one of these vehicles because someone couldn't react fast enough to "brake harder."

jeff_h, it feels like acceleration. But I'm just learning about what others experienced after I posted. Based on other experiences, it seems it is related to the regenerative braking. Most times it was noticed by my wife on a left turn, but when it occurred on a straight stop that raised a red flag. I'm going by my wife's description, though I experienced it once in a turn. I do indeed hope that the engineers are working on it. By this time and hybridbear's data, one would expect them to be. I did submit to safercar.gov.

I consider this serious and I'm trying to make some noise to see if anyone at Ford is listening.

Two steps forward, one back. Except in the case of FFH Gen1 vs, Gen 2 its the other way around. The brakes on Gen 1 are flawless. How can this happen?

The brakes on Gen 1 are flawless. How can this happen?

Anytime software is enhanced/modified unexpected things can happen. I worked in this field for 31.5 years and it never ceased to amaze me how faithful the law of unintended consequences is.

Edited by Texasota