Sign in to follow this  
acdii

Regen Braking Issue When Turning

From following these threads, it appears that these events occur most often when turning, braking and when one wheel encounters a surface with less traction such as a grate, cobblestones or pothole. The system is balancing the regen and mechanical braking in the turn and perceives the need for some ABS action. This is a software problem that needs a remedy.

Edited by lolder

I imagine Ford is aware of this but keeps the facts secret until the 'next' PCM update, or something of the sort. We've had a lot of updates and while I am guessing, I doubt if a complete list of the real corrections are published publicly (I don't blame Ford if that is true).

I think this is true and not only in the automotive industry. It is true in the software industry and in particular operating systems software. Revealing details on what is being fixed in some cases would cause unwarranted worry and overreaction resulting in more damage that the actual problem itself.

Hello... @FordService... are you there??? I sure miss Ashley. She was our first FordService rep on the forum & she seemed to be the only one who actually cared & bothered to try. Remember all the things Ashley found out for us?? Oil viscosity, detailed technical explanations of how things worked... The cynical side of me thinks that she did too good a job of providing customer service so Ford took her away.

I'm here, I promise. I still talk to Ashley on occasion (she works with schools now), and I'll be more than happy to let her know how much she's missed. The way we get our information is a little different now than when she was here, so I'm not always able to get the same level of detail she could.

I don't work directly with engineers, but I can send this up to your customer service manager to see if there's anything on their end. Please send me your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll work through your posts to make the case notes, but if there are key items you want to make sure I document, please let me know.

Meagan

There was a discussion over five years ago on the older FFH forum that the downfall of these cars might be the nature of the independent dealer service system and it's inability in the light of the opaque closed software nature of the cars to repair or solve problems. We have seen that many times. Tesla's model may become the future.

Keeps happening to my wife's '13. Left ... right ... straight. Very disappointed, to say the least.

The problem is that this was not an issue since day 1 of production. This is an issue that Ford created through one of their other updates. That is the problem. This is the nail in the coffin for me. I will never buy another Ford & now I tell everyone to avoid Fords.

Having worked in the software engineering field for 31.5 years I know very well that making a change to fix a problem frequently affects another area of a software system. Sometimes the side affect is known/understood and other times the side affect takes you completely by surprise even though you tested it to the best of your ability. If this braking issue was introduced by a recent software change or fix, then Ford may have known about this side affect or it may have caught them by surprise.

I know I faced software dilemmas where there was no "perfect" solution. Solution "A" would have a particular side effect and solution "B" would have another side effect. No matter what we did some customers were going to be unhappy and we had to make a decision knowing that it would not be a perfect solution.

I have not experienced this braking phenomenon in my FFH or else it is so subtle that I have not noticed it. But, based on my understanding of the problem it does not seem like it is causing a safety or significant driveability issue. Only my opinion and I hope I expressed it respectfully.