Sign in to follow this  
Phil3

Trunk Misalignment

I am scheduled to purchase a new Fusion Hybrid tomorrow. The car has been delivered from another dealer, and only recently did I see photos of the car for the first time. I have not seen it in person. Those photos shows a noticeable trunk misalignment when looking at the car from the rear. There is a larger gap on the right between trunk and right side bodywork vs the left. Googling this, it seems to be not an uncommon problem. Fixable? This has been going on for years apparently. If I could figure out how to post a link to the photos, I would, so I could get your opinion on how severe my car is. I would hate for this to kill the sale.

How do I post a link. I tried and I got a weird dialogue box and could not escape it.

Phil

I am scheduled to purchase a new Fusion Hybrid tomorrow. The car has been delivered from another dealer, and only recently did I see photos of the car for the first time. I have not seen it in person. Those photos shows a noticeable trunk misalignment when looking at the car from the rear. There is a larger gap on the right between trunk and right side bodywork vs the left. Googling this, it seems to be not an uncommon problem. Fixable? This has been going on for years apparently. If I could figure out how to post a link to the photos, I would, so I could get your opinion on how severe my car is. I would hate for this to kill the sale.

How do I post a link. I tried and I got a weird dialogue box and could not escape it.

Phil

We had the trunk lid adjusted on our car with no issues. Just ask the dealer to adjust it before you take delivery. It seems to be quite common for the Fusions to leave the factory with poorly aligned trunks & doors.

Mine was misaligned also and the dealer had the body shop next door fix the issue.

I had read there is no adjustment. Would it be reasonable to insist on correcting this for a new car delivery? See the actual car below. Lighting may be causing some of the gap seen on the right, but not sure. - Phil

9711867904e8c2ac4d5a37534463fa15x.jpg

Edited by Phil3

I had read there is no adjustment. Would it be reasonable to insist on correcting this for a new car delivery? See the actual car below. Lighting may be causing some of the gap seen on the right, but not sure. - Phil

Sounds reasonable. You can take the approach of telling the dealer that the trunk appears misaligned in the photo. You can request that they take a look at it before you pick up the car. It shouldn't be hard for them to adjust it.

Our misalignment was such that the side where "SE Hybrid" is stuck out more than the other side. It wasn't a left-to-right adjustment, but a front-to-back adjustment.

I decided to pick up the car. The salesman and am confident they will look at it if I ask. I did call the Service department and they claimed no-one has ever made mention of the trunk alignment. I don't know how adjusting the trunk lid, if even possible, can do anything. The lid is perfectly aligned with the fenders. It is well aligned on the left side with the plastic bumper cover. On the right side, the bumper cover sits too far to the right, away from the trunk lid, causing a larger gap. Adjusting the trunk lid in the horizontal plane to make the bumper side gaps correct will wreck the gaps with the fenders. In my opinion, the problem is that the right side of the bumper cover sticks out too far. I'd really like to know just what the dealers did to improve this.

Phil