Shadoweb

First time Hybrid buyer

Hello all,

I just took ownership of a job2 Oxford White 2013 FFH SE with Luxury package to by my daily driver. The wife will take over my old dd, a 2002 Ford Thunderbird and the 350 rwhp 1997 Thunderbird will sit in the garage until it's going to car shows or the dragstrip. I've been reading the forums a few weeks now and have already plugged the grill with 3/4 pipe insulation to keep the ICE warm (Never thought I'd ever be trying to make an engine warmer...)

fusion01.jpg

fusion02.jpg

fusion03.jpg

fusion04.jpg

Congrats on your "new" ride and welcome aboard! Lots of info and friendly folks here. Enjoy your time with us and don't be afraid to ask questions. ☺

Welcome and congrats on your first hybrid your sure picked a nice one.

It also seems you are off to a good start getting useful information from the site.

As for your need of speed you also seem nicely covered! How about some pics from your other two beauty's.

As for your need of speed you also seem nicely covered! How about some pics from your other two beauty's.

Sure,

Charlotte Autofair, Fall 2014 at Charlotte Motor Speedway. The Ford Owners Club of the Carolinas was positioned in the Garage area.

IMG_3906-1280.jpg

IMG_3909-1280.jpg

On the rollers at the Spring SVT Cobra Mustang Club/Pro Dyno Cruise in

140315dyno2.jpg

The results from that show. Best (Non Mustang) Ford.

140315bic.jpg

Mason Dixon Dragway

1-mylaunch.jpg

Pictorial of the build here: http://www.mn12tbird.com/forgedblock/

Both of them the day my 97 was delivered from Arizona (prior to all the engine work)

birds090827a.jpg

64703_353314488107405_486589082_n.jpg?oh

At a friends house shortly after buying it.

dewbird01.jpg

dewbird02.jpg

And with the hard top.

dewbird03.jpg

Finally, the driveway buddies last Tuesday during our ice storm.

10389187_647994095306108_565619871132285

Because Black is a PITA to keep clean. ;) (Though ZainoBros sure love the fact that I have 2 black cars). I also looked at a Bordeaux FFH but it was Job 1 and less options to boot.

Besides, I think it makes a statement about being the polar opposite of my other rides.

Edited by Shadoweb

Because Black is a PITA to keep clean. ;) (Though ZainoBros sure love the fact that I have 2 black cars). I also looked at a Bordeaux FFH but it was Job 1 and less options to boot.

Besides, I think it makes a statement about being the polar opposite of my other rides.

So true on all 3 statements!

Here's what I put into my black beauties...

I have a cart just for cleaning/polishing supplies, and the bag on the right is my Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher with a few different strengths of abrasive polishes.

carcare01.jpg

The various polishes, Zaino Bros on the left some other items from Auto Fair and Autogeek on the right. Nitrile gloves and a microfiber apron for the actual work...

carcare02.jpg

3x wafflweave microfiber drying towels with foam cores to absorb the water, standard waffle weave towel for glass. I'll also use my cordless leaf blower for blowing water out of mirrors, grills, etc.

carcare03.jpg

Different types of Microfiber towels for removing certain stages of polish.

carcare04.jpg

Applicator pads & sponge for Zaino Bros Products, Pads for the Porter Cable, tire applicator & detail applicators (basically a foam finger mitten)

carcare05.jpg

The Car Show bag. Quick detailer, Tire gloss and sun screen. I'll take one of the grey QD towels with me to the show.

carcare06.jpg

And a washing bucket, soap sprayer, microfiber mitt, sponge & Wheel Woolies

carcare07.jpg

I may be just a bit picky about the exterior appearance. :whistling:

In that bucket is a few leather care items since all 3 cars have black leather seats, and under the buffing towels are some generic microfibers from local stores that will never touch paint to keep the interior nice as well.

Because of some recent unresolved problems with transmission failures, i think you should unplug the grille since you are in the US Southern Atlantic Area. It is 84 in SW Fla. today.

Edited by lolder

Because of some recent unresolved problems with transmission failures, i think you should unplug the grille since you are in the US Southern Atlantic Area. It is 84 in SW Fla. today.

My plan is to leave it in until we get consitently into the 60's. It's going to be 40's all this week in NC.

Here's what I put into my black beauties...

I have a cart just for cleaning/polishing supplies, and the bag on the right is my Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher with a few different strengths of abrasive polishes.

I may be just a bit picky about the exterior appearance. :whistling:

In that bucket is a few leather care items since all 3 cars have black leather seats, and under the buffing towels are some generic microfibers from local stores that will never touch paint to keep the interior nice as well.

That's awesome! Be sure to check out the "Appearance" section of the Forum. There are some threads there regarding how to keep the car looking nice & I'm sure you could add valuable insight there will your experience taking care of your two Thunderbirds.

Well, Hell's Bells, Brian!! Congrats on the new ride! You'll really appreciate it when the gas prices start going back up, and we all know they will! ;)

My plan is to leave it in until we get consitently into the 60's. It's going to be 40's all this week in NC.

I think that is unwise.

He is good until it hits 60*, after that, then it is wise to remove them.

Welcome fellow Zaino Bro! Been using the stuff myself since 99.

Until we know what is causing the transmission failures, I would not assume that grille blocking up to 60 is OK. There are four things being cooled up front: the ICE coolant; the AC condenser; the Electronics coolant and the transmission fluid. This is a complicated system that is using a lot of air and is a compromise like everything else.

Here is an example. Most refrigerators will work only in a certain range of indoor temperatures. If the temperature is too low, the compressor will not run enough to keep the freezer cold if the sensor is in the non-freezer section. In those units with a butter warmer and a crisper, they get confused. The refrigerators are designed assuming certain heat transfers and efficiencies. There are probably refrigerators that you can leave in your mountain cabin but they are designed for that.

The transmission failures are precisely the type of side effect modifying the cooling system might cause. Grille blocking may have nothing to do with it but to me it is not worth the risk.

Edited by lolder

I've been reading the forums a few weeks now and have already plugged the grill with 3/4 pipe insulation to keep the ICE warm (Never thought I'd ever be trying to make an engine warmer...)

You don't block the grill to keep the ICE warm, you block the grill to reduce drag. That's the whole concept behind the grill shutters that the car already has. The pipe only makes a difference because the shutters are only about 75% efficient.

You don't block the grill to keep the ICE warm, you block the grill to reduce drag. That's the whole concept behind the grill shutters that the car already has. The pipe only makes a difference because the shutters are only about 75% efficient.

Well, I'm doing it to keep the Coolant Temp from bottoming out on the freeway in the teens to 20's we've been getting in the morning. Even at it's worst this car is more fuel efficient than any of my vehicles.

Did you post 1/4 mile times for that Thunderbird?

13.1 at Mason Dixon (which is not a flat track) in August. I hope to get it out to Fayetteville next month to see what it can do on a real track and not in the summer heat.

16 is my coworker in his Fiero with a built 350 in it. lol

post-13893-0-43577800-1424722049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shadoweb

Welcome from another Fayetteville area resident.

I have yet to block anything on mine, its not really that cold! Im still sitting at 43.3 lifetime, dropped from 44.0 in warmer months.

Right now in the mornings, it takes me just around 5 miles to get my trip average up over 30 and around 10 miles to break over 40, good thing I live just about 10 miles from work. Now, on the ride home, its warmer and Im seeing 48 - 50 at the 10 mile mark.

I'm in Charlotte. In NC I've lived in Raleigh, then Greensboro and now Charlotte. I used to go to The Rock for my 1/4 mile but that's been in decline and Fayetteville has been the track of choice in NC for a few years now.

Really? I thought it was to block frigid winter air from entering the engine area, thereby slowing the dissipation of heat, which would otherwise cause the engine to run to produce heat to warm the cabin. I mean, that's my reason.

Really? I thought it was to block frigid winter air from entering the engine area, thereby slowing the dissipation of heat, which would otherwise cause the engine to run to produce heat to warm the cabin. I mean, that's my reason.

Then how come Ford puts active grill shutters on all it's cars, not just the hybrids?

Then how come Ford puts active grill shutters on all it's cars, not just the hybrids?

You're assuming that the purpose for active grill shutters, and the intent of owners who utilize grill blocking, are one in the same. I'm suggesting that there are likely dual purposes/intents. Whether or not either is as effective as intended is a different story.

You're assuming that the purpose for active grill shutters, and the intent of owners who utilize grill blocking, are one in the same. I'm suggesting that there are likely dual purposes/intents. Whether or not either is as effective as intended is a different story.

I agree. Grille shutters are primarily to reduce aerodynamic drag. They do have an impact on ICE temps, but their primary purpose is to reduce drag.

Grille blocking with foam is to insulate the ICE to keep it warmer by sealing off the front end better than the grille shutters do. The primary purpose is to reduce ICE heat lost to cold air, improved aerodynamics is a secondary benefit.