ptjones

High Transmission Temperature

I don't have a Scangauge yet, but I'm planning on buying one in the next few weeks...

Does anyone know if the grill shutters can be monitored with the Scangauge?

Also, what is the latest Scangauge version I should be looking for?

Thanks.

Edited by billford

Its not a conventional transmission with clutch packs and such where the fluid is dual purpose, used for lubrication, and friction. Fluid wears out over time in that environment, especially when it gets overheated, but the eCVT is all gears and motors, so in theory, since its only used to lubricate, it should never wear out. In a perfect world that is. When assembled, if it was kept extremely clean, and all the parts fit perfectly and the seal on the unit was perfect, then it would last a lifetime, but we all know that only happens on the Space Shuttle.

Well the shuttle itself didnt blow up, the O-ring failed from being too cold prior to launch on the booster, that leaked a flame that burned into the main tanks, and that is what blew up. Shuttle was just a side effect of the big bang. The second shuttle disaster was another case of external causes, ice falling from the main tank damaged the heat tiles, and thats what caused the second failure.

Funny when you think about it though, our cars have ore computing power in the seats than the Apollo missions had.

The sad thing was that the shuttle was truly always an accident waiting to happen and a lot of the technical people knew it. When it was first flown the odds of a complete loss were one in every 500 missions calculated by the techniques of the time. After the Challenger, they recalculated it to about one in 120. After Columbia, it was one in 9 so they grounded it. The shuttles sometimes launched with hundreds of open or continued maintenance items. It was the rare astronaut that wasn't fearful during a launch. It was designed to lower costs to orbit by a factor of 10 and instead raised it by 10. It was pretty much a failure which was determined by the original design with the solid boosters and fragile thermal protection. The Apollo Saturn 5 was safer. They could escape with the abort rocket at almost any time. A Russian crew did so with a similar system with a launch pad explosion that killed a lot of ground personnel. At least that's how I remember.

That's why NASA is going back to the "old" system now called SLS.

Last year we went to the KSC and saw the transporter crawler being modified and also the launch pad being worked on. Pretty impressive I must say but nothing close to being there for an actual launch I'm sure.

How did we get that far off topic :)

Transmission temperature- post #1

Transmission reliability and shuttle sarcasm- post #33

Comments on shuttle reliability- several posts

Hey, do we have fun here or not?

That's why NASA is going back to the "old" system now called SLS.

Last year we went to the KSC and saw the transporter crawler being modified and also the launch pad being worked on. Pretty impressive I must say but nothing close to being there for an actual launch I'm sure.

How did we get that far off topic :)

Because we are GEEKS! :) Also, correct, foam off the tank caused it, but I think ice did have something to do with it too, but yep, on the money about how it happened.

And, keep the trans cool and it will last a long time, has always been that way, and will always be that way.

Have an appointment for next Monday, they are busy. ;)

Paul

Hi Paul,

Keep me in the loop with how your dealer trip goes; I'll check into some options. :)

Meagan