ptjones

High Transmission Temperature

I wonder if all this is not connected. I cautioned a long time ago against the grill blocking because there are several radiators and the shutters are probably not controlled by the temperatures in all of them so that an acceptable temperature of ICE coolant might not be acceptable in the others. The troubleshooting item of active grill shutter malfunction kind of bears this out. I think 200 + transmission fluid temperatures are too high. There's a lot of data about this. Here's one: http://www.txchange.com/heatchrt.htm

Edited by lolder

Aren't there are two cooling systems; one for the electrical components which uses a coolant and one for the transmission fluid ? The 301 trip is for an electrical component, not the coolant and there is a different temperature for the transmission fluid (oil).

So that confirms what was said in other threads, when in EV there is no flow of transmission fluid. So the more you EV, the higher the temps can get, and the lower the lubrication happens.

Where are you getting your info? The Transmission and the Inverter have separate cooling systems and the 301 trip temp is for the Transmission, Trans Fluid flash point is above 400*F. Where as the Inverter cooling system uses radiator coolant and would turn to steam before 301*F and electrical systems would be fried. ;)

Paul

You said the transmission "ELECTRONICS" trips at 301 in post #1. That would have to be an electronic device temperature, not the coolant of course. There are some very high power devices in the electronics called Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistors ( IGBTs ) and their temperature may be the 301 trigger. As you can see by the reference in my post #7 transmissions do not like fluid ( oil ) temperatures over 200.

The FFH is a stunning engineering design that was built by teams of Ford engineers that know what they are doing. As one Ford engineer stated on this forum these Ford engineers are very smart. The ICE and the eCVT has undergone extensive testing in extreme cold and hot environments.

Only my opinion, but I find it equally stunning that anyone outside of the Ford engineering domain can stuff the grills full of pipe insulation and claim that they fully understand how this is impacting these complex systems. It is highly unlikely we fully understand the impact of grill blocking. If the engineers wanted the grills to be blocked they would have have designed the car that way.

Perhaps even more important is the question regarding grill blocking and warranty coverage. Should Ford be required to replace a failed transmission under warranty for a car whose grills have been blocked?

Edited by Texasota

Cmax is identical to Fusion, two versions, hybrid and Energi, so I really dont see that all Cmax would have the aux pump. As for grill blocking, in extreme cold, it will not harm the car, from what I recorded in temps, they are still below summertime readings with an unblocked grill. Blocking the grill in the summer though, I would not do.

I have just started to monitor my Transmission Fluid Temp(TFT) and I was able to get to 250*F on the FWY after about 30 minutes.

Just wondering, what are you using to monitor it with?

The original post quoted a tech as saying the "Transmission Electronics" gave a warning at 301. That is the inverters and other electronics cooled by coolant, not the transmission fluid. The coolant would not get to 301 so it must be measuring elsewhere perhaps right on the IGBT power controllers. I don't think the coolant or transmission fluid should get much above 215.