ptjones

High Transmission Temperature

If the shutters being closed are causing high temperatures in the transmission and possibly resulting in (or contributing) to transmission failures, then wouldn’t it seem likely that Ford would have issued a software programming change (via recall or TSB) to address this a long time ago? A software change like that would presumably be quite simple. Only speculation on my part, but since Ford has not made a software change I suspect the shutters have little or nothing to do with the transmission failures.

The AC being on may run the radiator cooling fan all the time. That sometimes stops at higher car speeds.

Turning the AC on will always start the radiator fan while stationary. I don't have anyway to know if it turns off at higher speeds, i suspect not. Maybe a scan-gauge can tell. I know the AC uses slightly more energy at low speeds but I cant tell if it's because the fan starts or there is less aerodynamic cooling of the surface of the car at slower speeds. The sunshine heat load on the outer surface of the car can be partially removed by airflow.

Edited by lolder

154 is reasonable. This illustrates how inter-related all of this cooling stuff is. I wonder if the transmission problems occurred in vehicles that the AC ( and therefore the radiator fan ) wasn't used as much?

About 45 years ago, I outsmarted myself. I modified the radiator fan circuitry of a 1968 Volvo to not run in "D". There was a thermostatic switch that still turned it on for higher engine temp. I blew the high pressure fuse plug out of the AC receiver dryer because I had also inadvertently disabled the fan from running when the AC was on. Fortunately it only cost me a new receiver-dryer and freon recharge.

I test dove a Nissan Leaf today. It was very refined. Ford doesn't seem to be selling Focus Electrics in FL.

Edited by lolder

... I'd rather have a Focus Energi & a Fusion Electric.

HB, I'm curious why you would want a Focus Energi, instead of both being electric, a Focus Electric and a Fusion Electric.

Here is my first step to trying to cool off TFT using 3/4"X6" aluminum L bracket and glueing them to bottom of Transmission. It will take atleast 3/4 hour FWY drive to see if it makes a difference. This also adds 54 square inches of surface cooling area. smile.png

High Temp Silicon Rubber glue and 6" X 3/4" Aluminum L brackets

Trans with no fins.

Trans with fins.

Paul

Interested to know if this helped in any way...