CCalvinN

Disappointing first fill up

Remote start eats up fuel that is not recorded. 10 minutes remote start 5 days a week equates to nearly an hour of the ICE running, which can easily reduce your tank MPG to what you see. I experimented with it last year and it used at least 2 gallons of gas just for remote start each tank.

One fill-up is not enough to be accurate because of the variation of fuel pump shutoff Ten fill ups are needed. The car computer readout is generally about 4% high on mpg but very accurate. Cold winter weather can cause a 15 mpg hit on economy.

Your dash mpg will almost always be a little optimistic, compared with your manual calculations, but it will give you a better idea of your actual driving efficiency during times when you're using remote start, since your dash numbers aren't affected by the remote start events. Long sentence, I know. I hope it makes sense to you, though.

As far as cold goes, I just had my worst tank ever in the 64 I've recorded. Single digits are a killer.

Your quarter mile trip to lunch and eating while idling is definitely costing you quite a bit of efficiency, too. Remember, mpg is 0 when burning gas while not moving. You can't change that math.

The difference in mileage between a hybrid and non-hybrid of the same model ( Fusion ) will decrease to only about 10-15% at cold temperatures and sustained high speeds which is the difference in the efficiency of the Atkinson ICE. It is certainly conceivable that the lighter non-hybrid Focus could get better mileage in those circumstances. The real hit is remote starting and warm up. Don't worry about it and enjoy the winter comfort. Pray for Spring or move to Florida.

Edited by lolder

... Remember, mpg is 0 when burning gas while not moving. You can't change that math.

Which is what is so frickin' cool to me about the FFH. That is, when I'm stopped, I'm burning absolutely zero gas. I don't even mind much stopping at red lights anymore because of that. I can even stop and dink with the nav, or just try to figure out what on earth it is that I am trying to do in life, and while I'm stopped, I don't have any worries about being wasteful, because I am burning no gas whatsoever. :bliss:

I'm sure that Tony will agree with me. The red light sequence in Las Vegas is insane. Get to an intersection just when the light turns red; wait for cross traffic to make turns on green arrow; wait for cross traffic to get green light; wait for on-coming traffic to get green arrow; wait for your direction to get green arrow; then, if you're still awake, you get the green light. This insanity is one of the reasons we moved to Pahrump (total of three traffic lights).

Now when we go to Vegas, I remain much more sedate when taking a nap waiting for a green light, knowing that my mpg isn't going into negative numbers. My previous two MKS's would average about 25mpg until I went into Vegas. When we would leave, the mpg would drop down to 20 or 21 mpg. Waiting at the lights, you could actually watch as the trip mpg dropped one or two tenths. I swear that Vegas only recruits traffic engineers from the bottom tenth of graduating classes.

Yep, even worse in an F150, Been there, Done that, Hated Vegas cause of it.

The Atkinson engines in these cars almost never "idle" in the usual sense. They have the throttle plate almost wide open even if the RPM is only around 1000. Instead of burning a few tenths of a gallon per hour, they are burning almost a gallon. The energy is used to charge the HVB until it's full. You get the energy back but it is less inefficient that way. Anytime the ICE is running and the car is not moving drastically lowers the mpg. It's fine and proper that you use the car for comfort in this weather but don't expect even close to EPA numbers until warmer weather

Edited by lolder

The fuel flow above 40 mpg is very low . Little things have big effects. Headwinds cost 3 mpg per 10 mph. Noisy roads can cost a few mpg. Speed costs 6 mpg per 10 mph. Temperature costs 2 mpg per 10ºF. lower temperature. AC costs 1 to 10+ mpg. Wet roads cost 1-10 mpg.

If it's very cold and you're speeding against headwinds in the rain on a noisy road, you'll probably run out of gas 15 minutes after you fill it up.

Otherwise, you'll probably get in the 40's mpg.

People buy new car models usually in the Fall. That's when the weather turns adverse to good mileage. This mileage disappointment with hybrids in the Winter is legendary. Spring and improved driving habits brings much better results. Then you never have to add gas.

I might have exaggerated a little.

Edited by lolder

After I made the "15 minutes" comment above, I read in USA Today that the 6.2 liter, 707 Hp Dodge.Hellcat can exhaust it's 18.5 gal fuel tank in 13 minutes at full throttle and it's maximum 204 mph.