CCalvinN

Disappointing first fill up

The vector of the car velocity adds to winds that are from the side but partially to the rear to make a crosswind that has a headwind component vector. The cars are designed to have the least drag with a directly ahead wind vector. They can have more drag with a slight crosswind component. There are even schemes to use four wheel steering to cock cars a few degrees into a wind vector that is lightly off center to reduce drag. That would look weird.

I bought my 2010 FFH on 7/09 so this is the sixth winter I along with others have been trying to assure first time hybrid owners there is nothing wrong with their cars. The problem is with the EPA tests, not the cars. Only a minority of drivers will drive in a manner similar to the tests and the tests failure to account for low winter temperatures makes it worse. The EPA tests are being upgraded but that takes time and even then they won't be perfect. The hybrid advantage over other cars evaporates at high speeds and low temperatures because the ICE is running to keep everything warm. The HVB is charged fully in a few minutes and after that the ICE is still running to warm up but it's way off it's efficient operating point then. The Prius has two 150 watt electric heaters to help with this. They also have an exhaust/engine coolant heat exchanger to warm up the engine faster. They used to have a thermos bottle that stored hot coolant for almost a day and then released it on the next start. Prius has the lions share of hybrid sales because everybody else is still playing catch-up in hybrid efficiency. Your FFH's get about 10 mpg less than Prii but you have a much nicer car.

Edited by lolder

I had a Gen 2 ppprius, and it was horrible with cross winds. It also had a nasty tendency to fishtail on curves. The OEM tires were the worst when it came to traction. Other than getting great MPG, I dont see any other reason to have one when the Fusion is so much more of a car, and gets good MPG.

My first 13 FFH did have an issue, with all the driving and hybrid experience I have, not being able to hit the low predicted benchmark in it, I knew something was wrong with it. At that time it was rated at 47 MPG, so Realistically I was expected 38-43 MPG, and best I could get was 34, in Florida, in 70* temps. The car I replaced it with, gets exactly what I expected out of it, 38-43, and since I know how to squeeze these cars, I can get these numbers, but new drivers will need to relax and take their time and get to know how to best drive these cars. It doesnt happen on the first drive, so you see this a lot, my car isnt getting what it should. There are so many factors involved with them, and once you understand them then you get a better understanding of why the car gets what it gets.

Factors involved

Road conditions, pavement plays a factor, new pavement will get better MPG than worn rough pavement

Traffic, flow of traffic, lights, speeds.

Weather, rain and snow will lower MPG quite a bit, even a damp road can lower it a few MPG. Temps play a huge part, ideal conditions are between 50 and 80 degrees. Between these temps the car performs the best as you dont have a cabin to heat or cool, and batteries work best between these temps.

How you drive plays the largest part, Drive like a granny, or a speedster and you will not get the optimum MPG out of it. Moderate acceleration, steady speeds, not driving too fast, all play a part in good MPG.

Idling, any time the ICE runs with the car stationary, wastes gas.

The car I replaced it with, gets exactly what I expected out of it, 38-43, and since I know how to squeeze these cars, I can get these numbers

Great post, but...

Don't kid yourself - that ain't squeezin'!

My wife is getting 43.2 since September (dash #) and she just drives it normal. The only thing she squeezes is me. ;)

With the warmer temps yesterday I was seeing near 50 on some trips, for the most part yesterday I was getting the 43 I expected to get. As your car breaks in more, and everything moves smoothly, the MPG will go up and without remote start in the winter, getting 38 should happen, like it does for mine. Depends a lot on how cold, and if there is snow to drive through, as that will drop it quite a bit, so tank averages can fluctuate from low 30's to high 30's, but on average, 38 is where it lands.

My best fill up yet!

507.9 Miles, 11.577 Gallons: 43.87 miles per gallon. This is now exceeding my expectations as I would never be able to get this out of the Focus.

That has been my experience also as compared to my 2012 Focus. After ~9000 miles on our FFH the hand calculated life time average is a little over 45 MPG. The Focus never reached 45 MPG even on the highway.

The mileage will increase up to about 90-95ºF. and then plateau due to AC load. Running the AC in a heat soaked car kills the mpg. Try to park in the shade with windows and ( sun roof ) cracked with sun shades over the top of the dash. Drive a few blocks with everything open and then turn on the AC.

Have you tried the stick-the-fob-to-your-chin trick?

Okay, Waldo, I'll bite. What the heck is the "stick-the-fob-to-your-chin trick"?

Pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Google it and you'll get dozens of references.

But does it work for you Waldo? ;)

Pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Google it and you'll get dozens of references.

I'll be darned. Learn something new on this forum all the time. Lots of google hits and here is a sample:

http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/5167/will-putting-a-car-remote-under-your-chin-increase-its-range

Not sure if I am convinced but will give it a try next time I am in a large parking lot.