mwr

Had to use my compact spare today

I bought a compact spare a while ago off ebay (no tools yet). Today I got a "tire pressure low" message and stopped at a gas station and found the right front tire was leaking air from a small separation; looked like a cut or tear. I put more air in then drove to a tire shop where they installed the spare and put the bad tire in the trunk. I then talked to the service rep at my Ford dealer and have an appointment tomorrow to see if they think it was caused by some outside force (it looks that way to my untrained eyes) in which case no warranty coverage for it. The parts department has the Michelin Energy Saver, correct size, in stock. Didn't ask the price. We'll see...

Edited by mwr

I bought a compact spare a while ago off ebay (no tools yet0. Today I got a "tire pressure low" message and stopped at a gas station and found the right front tire was leaking air from a small separation; looked like a cur or tear. I put more air in then drove to a tire ship where they installed the spare and put the bad tire in the trunk. I then talked to the service rep at my Ford dealer and have an appointment tomorrow to see if they think it was caused by some outside force (it looks that way to my untrained eyes) in which case no warranty coverage for it. The parts department has the Michelin Energy Saver, correct size, in stock. Didn't ask the price. We'll see...

Last summer, when I had a blowout the replacement was $199.00 at the Ford dealer. I was glad that I had bought a compact spare.

Edited by hermans

I bought a compact spare a while ago off ebay (no tools yet0. Today I got a "tire pressure low" message and stopped at a gas station and found the right front tire was leaking air from a small separation; looked like a cur or tear. I put more air in then drove to a tire ship where they installed the spare and put the bad tire in the trunk. I then talked to the service rep at my Ford dealer and have an appointment tomorrow to see if they think it was caused by some outside force (it looks that way to my untrained eyes) in which case no warranty coverage for it. The parts department has the Michelin Energy Saver, correct size, in stock. Didn't ask the price. We'll see...

Check to see what prices are like online. Discount Tire will match online prices for tires. Hopefully there's a Discount Tire in your area. They do great work around here.

Check to see what prices are like online. Discount Tire will match online prices for tires. Hopefully there's a Discount Tire in your area. They do great work around here.

I checked using my phone while at the Ford dealer, and Discount Tire didn't have that tire in the area. Same as the very good tire dealer that put on the spare. So I opted to just let the Ford dealer do it all, $200 + $40 labor and job done (including washing the car). Probably spent a few $ more there but it got done quickly.

Why didn't you just get the tire repaired and drive on?

Could have saved you $200.

It looked to me and to the tire shop people that it couldn't be repaired.

It looked to me and to the tire shop people that it couldn't be repaired.

Oh, that kinda sucks...

Probably sidewall or corner damage, Those cant be repaired. If the damage is within an inch of the sidewall, they cant repair it, they could, but it wont last very long. Would suck to get a nail in it near the edge of the tire, total loss over a 1/8" hole.