Sign in to follow this  
Darkside

Sony Amp wiring diagram?

More pics for you. Not much can be done with a rat nest of wires, my amps and wires here but you can't see them anyways once it is back together here. For those of you looking to acces the fuse box on drivers side the panel does fold down here although it is still a pain to get at the fuses because my arm pretty covered the opening so you couldn't see what you were doing anyways here.

This setup sounds amazing, still considering adding the center channel just cannot decide if it would be worth another $500 to do it. If any of you fellow hybrid guys want to check it out let me know. I live in Anoka, MN. PM me and bring beer ;)

More pics for you. Not much can be done with a rat nest of wires, my amps and wires here but you can't see them anyways once it is back together here. For those of you looking to acces the fuse box on drivers side the panel does fold down here although it is still a pain to get at the fuses because my arm pretty covered the opening so you couldn't see what you were doing anyways here.

This setup sounds amazing, still considering adding the center channel just cannot decide if it would be worth another $500 to do it. If any of you fellow hybrid guys want to check it out let me know. I live in Anoka, MN. PM me and bring beer ;)

I'll watch for you on the road... We're in Edina.

Edited by hybridbear

Question about the ANC. In the wiring diagram it shows that if I were to unplug the harness, I would also be unplugging a signal to speakers also? I just want to disconnect the ANC system. Any help would be appreciated.

Nope no speakers come out of the ANC. Trust me I have mine completely disconected. I cannot say whether or not it would help you guys but I didn't want it causing feedback or messing with my signal to the ms-8.

So I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered another amp and center speakers. I had hooked up the original centers just to see what it sounded like and I actually liked the surround sound music I had going on.

Looking at my previous photos it is pretty easy to see I was running out of spaces to add anything so I completely removed my ANC box and replaced it with a new little two channel amp.

I'll say this about the original speakers, although they really aren't that bad, what a cluster @#$% of OHM's. My system is now entirely 4 ohms. The original door speakers are all 4 ohm, the rear parcel subs are 2.3 ohm and the center speakers are both 8 ohm. Strange. I have to re-tune the new setup but I have it all installed and half the car still torn apart....

Connect it to the low voltage 12v battery in the rear. The battery even has a 120 amp fused connector on it right next to the main connector. I have an image of it in this thread.

So before this car I would have agreed that stereo is for music and surround sound for movies, not anymore. I now only run surround sound from the JBL and it is the best music sound I have ever heard. I had my boss at work who I know likes the old rock bands take a seat in my car and listen to a song. I didn't think he was going to get back out of my car...... When he finally gets out he says to me "That is the cleanest sounding car audio I have ever heard". I said, "Thanks", and he says "no, I mean it that is the best sounding system I have ever heard". Then he wanted to know where I had it installed? He couldn't believe I had put this together and that was without seeing all the work behind the scenes. Waiting for one of my fellow Fusion owners to have a listen so I can stop bragging on my own.....lol

Thanks again Tony, You weren't kidding when you said it wouldn't be much use. Thanks for posting it though. For those of you that are adding any kind of amps and need to disconnect the ANC, don't bother pulling your headliners down and possibly damage them, just pull the cover on the right rear in your trunk and the little box that looks like an amp (not the THX guys you actually may have three boxes back there) it is the one I asked Tony about. All you have to do is unplug it there. No ANC.

Recall I said I would have more room than others after adding all this stuff, how is that possible? Take a look. https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9092D9D8E18CD13!1540&authkey=!AJJ9JRqaHaLW_ZE&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG I have more clearence than I did before.

Hi Darkside. Your install looks great and thanks for all the information. Wish I could swing over with some beers and check out your system. Have you run into any problems leaving the ACN mics disconnected?

I'm looking to do some changes to my system and would like to use the ACN for times I want a nice quiet ride without the stereo blasting. Looking at the wiring diagrams looks like the plug you removed has 8 wires, 6 are for the mic's and 2 for the CAN BUS. Looking at the 16 wire plug I see that there is also power and ground. I'm thinking about putting a relay on that so instead of disconnecting the mic I can turn ACN on and off. Would have been nice if they just gave us that option in the first place. Before finding your post I just disconnected both plugs to disable the ACN, I noticed that the ACN caused issues with bass in the factory system, (I have the Sony). I noticed sometime if you turned up the volume the bass would drop significantly at times. I think it was due to ACN thinking it was "noise" I found after disconnecting ACN the bass volume loss stopped occurring. I've picked up a Ford Sony amp and toying with the idea of gutting out the spare amp and placing a bunch of relays in there to switch from aftermarket ampified system and back to stock Sony Amp with ACN. This will also allow me to do all the modifications without cutting up all the wires.

ANC? No more ANC for me. I have without a doubt the best sounding fusion hybrid :) I've had a few people check out my sound system and have impressed all of them. I'm telling you the sound is amazing and no bass drops or cutouts. I'm no engineer, but I have to wonder how does ANC work? Ok, you have mics inside monitoring sound, are there mics outside monitoring sound as well? Not that I am aware of, so how if you have your window open how does it know what is supposed to be inside and outside noise? Without ANC I can hear my engine sometimes when it kicks in (with my volume turned down), but I could hear it before too. Just sayin.

So I replaced the center speakers and removed the ANC and replaced it with a 2 channel JL amp to match. Most mp3's I listen to now I have the Sony volume at 3/5 volume and it rocks. :skateboard: Also, I have the system set totally flat, no eq needed what so ever.

Darkside, is the JBL MS-8 creating the center channel for you, or are you using the original output from the sony DSP? Does not seem like there are enough channels for the centers unless your not using the SUB output from the DSP, and using the full range from the rear channels. I'm sure you have the besting sounding Fusion Hybrid, maybe I can have the best sounding Fusion Energi if no one has claimed that yet. :)

Edited by TiFusion

I am using the front two door channels and the rear subs going into the ms8. I made the doors in front a single channel instead of two channels the way Sony had it. So off my 8 channel jl I run one channel to each door. I use the remaining 4 channels bridged two channels each to the rear subs. I added the second two channel amp that the ms8 creates the signal for and run the front and rear center.

How were you able to sum the 2 front door channels? I'm interested in doing that however it looks the Ford Sony has output directly to the tweeters and woofers.

If I'm understanding you correctly I think I can do this.....

In MS-8 Ford Sony Output Out MS-8

Ch1 Front Left Woofer Front Left 2 way speakers Passive Crossover

Ch2 Front Right Woofer Front Right 2 way speakers Passive Crossover

Ch3 Rear Left Rear Left 2 way speakers Passive Crossover

Ch4 Rear Right Rear Right 2 way speakers Passive Crossover

Ch5 Center

Ch6 Unused

Ch7 Left Sub Left Sub

Ch8 Right Sub Right Sub

Does not look like the MS-8 does a rear center so I'll just leave that unplugged. I'm still debating the front center, I'll need to replace that speaker to timber match, however it seems like I read the MS-8 actually compensates for different speakers.

Sorry I'm on my phone so it isn't easy to make I column like you did but no that isn't quite what I have on the input side channels 1 and 2 are the left and right front tweeters. Channel 34 are the front woofers and 7 and 8 like you have it.

On the output side I believe you have that correct if I understand you. I have to recheck what you put but I think it is right. I used channels 1 and 2 front doors channels 3 and 4 rear doors chanel 5 center but it is your to the other 2 channel amp that's how I have front and rear center is center without it people in back would miss some. And lastly channels 7 and 8 for rear subs. All doors and center have 80 watts rms and the subs have double at about 160 per channel rms.

I did not use the rear door output.

Have you got the ms8 already? You will need patients, it took me probably a dozen tunes before I had it right and I must have read 300 topics on it on different websites.

Also notice in my thread towards the end where I got the power on signal from in the fuse box.

Oops just reread. The ms8 sums the channels it doesn't even matter which input channels you connect. The ms8 sums them and has new outputs. The output side is configured by you. It's really an amazing box.

Ah, ok. I have the MS-8 but have not installed it yet. Instead of a Sony Amp I had a Sub show up...... Now I have to decide if I want to cut up my wires or try and get another amp....

So sounds like this is my config then, didn't realize I don't need to map one to one, was a little confused on the summing part... I think I'll configure it like this. I want to be able to fade to back if necessary. I probably will not have the rears playing much. I saw your message about the power on from the fuse. I still need to figure out how to get that setup. I need to make sure I can get sound if the radio is not on. How does the 8ms delay effect the notifications.... Other than make it 8ms later.... Is it an issue? Sounds like all GPS, Warning, Phone ring, etc will have a 8ms delay...

In MS-8 Ford Sony Output Out MS-8

Ch1 Front Left Woofer Front Left 2 way speakers Passive Crossover

Ch2 Front Right Woofer Front Right 2 way speakers Passive Crossover

Ch3 Front Left Tweeter Rear Left 2 way speakers Passive Crossover

Ch4 Front Right Tweeter Rear Right 2 way speakers Passive Crossover

Ch5 Rear Left Center

Ch6 Rear Right Unused

Ch7 Left Sub Left Sub

Ch8 Right Sub Right Sub

Edited by TiFusion

I do not notice any delay in anything. I'm not sure what you mean about the Sony amp? I had to splice into the high level outputs of the built in Sony Amp. If you want to keep everything working (except -pay attention- for your fader). Do Not use the Rear left and Right channels. The MS-8 wants a full band signal ONLY and it then sums them so it probably wouldn't work the way you think and would ony cause issues. If you feel you must do any fading you can do it from the MS-8 once you have it installed. The reason I chose the front tweeters, woofers and rear subs for my summed signal is because I figured the fronts would have full signal, the rear doors? maybe could have just used them alone, but didn't want to take a chance on say the voice responses not coming through the rears. I know the sounds come out the fronts. And as I said I have had no issues. Do not use your ch5 and ch6 inputs on the MS-8. Lastely are you planning to add amps after the MS-8? I never tried running just off that as I knew I wanted/needed more power. FYI - my gains on the amps are all set about half and no eq needed, the sound that was recorded is the sound I get.

Okay thanks I wanted to keep the fading control with the stereo and basically just have the ms-8 be a black box. I thought the rear signal was full since only 2 channels from the Factory Sony amp are used for the rear doors. By Sony amp I'm ordered a extra amp and pigtails so I can use the interconnections and wire them to a bunch of relays to make a A-B switch. I would like to not cut any of the factory wires, and have the ability to use my amplified system, or run the original Sony amp and ACN ability. The extra factory Sony amp I'm buying is to be gutted. . I plan on using a mix of amps and the powered output of the ms-8. I have a 2 mix mono amps I can use. 1 is 4 channel and 1 is 2 channel.I was planning on using the 4 channel in a mixed mono config, 2 mono channels to the front, and 1 stereo channel to the rear. alternate would be 1 stereo to front and 1 to rear if the mix mono does not work like I plan. The second amp will power the subs, most likely in mono. The ms-8 will power the center channel. I do have another amp I can use for that, but I might be out out space. So the summing is actually from front tweeter, woofer, and sub? I was thinking front 2 would be full signal, so it sounds like the ms-8 can take up to 4 signals to get the sum signal...

Darkside, your tips have been SUPER helpful!!

Edited by TiFusion

Yes I would say the rears are full channel, but do all the voice commands pass through the rear as well? I didn't test that and just went with the fronts/subs.

Yes summing is front left and right tweeters, woofers and the subs (six total inputs). The MS-8 can use all 8 inputs to sum, but it is not what they recommend. I'm not sure how you are going to get stereo from mono amps, for your center it would be fine. A mono amp is going to have right and left input, but it is going to sum those as well and you'll lose stereo separation. Unless I'm missing something.

I understand your desire to be able to switch back and forth, but I see problems in doing so. Like how do you engage the new setup and disable ANC, you would need a lot of relays and that could introduce noise into your system. I'd reconsider the idea.

I do realize the relays might introduce noise, I'm just testing the idea. I would enable and disable ACN with a relay on the power or ground of the ACN, initially I'm thinking about the power. All the relays would be hooked to a single switch, switching all the components at the same time.

I don't think the systems voices play in the rear. I'll likely use the MS-8 to control fading.

LOL showing off my system this weekend I had a guy ask me twice, HOW big is that center speaker? And I never heard anything like that before.

As I was pulling into work a co-worker that I gave a demo to sent me this and copied someone else they thought would like to hear what it sounds like. These are her words; I took the recipient name and my name out.

Co-worker name!!!!

I just saw Darkside and this reminded me. I told him you were probably as big a music fiend, if not more, than I am and that I was thinking you probably had a good sound system in your car. HOWEVER, I recently had the privilege of listening to Darksides’s sound system that he has “modified” and honest to God it’s like sitting at a concert or even better. Clarity and that good heart thumping loudness – sigh….

So I told him he needs to show off his stereo system sometime when he comes to Johnsville!

It’s FABULOUS!

Awesome, I have not had a chance to put in my stuff yet. However I did do my oil change and then had a mishap with my ramps which I managed to crack my rocker panel covers...... Arg, what a day.....

Okay, Finally got around to installing the MS-8 and 1 4 channel amp so far. So far I'm pretty impressed. Sounds good, cant wait to get the new front speakers in, and the second amp, and subs. I think the trunk is going to start getting very warm, with the battery, amps, and ms-8. The MS-8 is a lot hotter than I expected. Must be the built-in amps. Thinking of adding a second battery and an isolator like you did. Got a low battery warning while I was working out an issue and testing the system for a while.

Edited by TiFusion