Sign in to follow this  
Griswald

Overvoltage alert...

Finally got around to buying an Ultra-Gauge to compliment what Ford forgot on the dashboard.

Within seconds of plugging it in, I got an ECU overvoltage alarm on the Ultra-Gauge. It is showing that my vehicle is putting out as much as 14.95 volts. The alarm is set to show at 14.90.

On my commute this morning, the alarm sounded 6 times on my 9 mile drive. It is cold here, low 20's.

15 volts seems a bit excessive...any ideas? Could 15 volts be "normal"?

NO. And that's why there is an "alarm".

If that isn't setting a code and displaying something on the dash, then something is wrong.

First thing to do would be to verify the over-voltage condition with a meter.

After that, it the voltage is high, a warranty visit to the dealer would be in order.

Higher than normal charging voltages can damage the electronic parts all throughout the car.

Have you compared the Ultragauge reading with another digital voltmeter?

Yeah, I would double check that gauge before I spent any serious money on the car. They make a digital voltage gauge you can plug in your cigarette lighter. I think they sell it at Walmart. I have 2 of them, one for my boat, and one for my car and neighbors when I loan it out. Since I have a 2010 FFH which in "Engineering Test Mode" shows 13.9 to 14 volts parked but on, I don't have a problem, but your 2014 FFH is a different animal. If that 14.95 volts is correct, it would be hard on the low voltage battery, over time, it would shorten it's life.

Edited by VonoreTn

I guess I need the plug in tester because the alarms are while driving.

I am going to run a Torque scan chart of voltage vs. time or something like that. Torque can output that data but the Ultra-Gauge cannot.

The factory service manual shows that normal voltage is between 13 and 15.5 volts depending on temperature and loads.

My voltage stays between 14.6 for 14.8 volts.

If the voltage is too low or too high, the various modules will store trouble codes...

With Torque or FORScan you can see the DCDC converter setting & output. Ours typically shows 14.35 volts, but since the 12V battery is charged while the car is plugged in the DCDC converter is almost never charging the 12V, just supplying power to the electronics. The FFH would go higher than 14.35 when the 12V SOC was low. Before some of the software updates the DCDC converter was only putting out 13.5-13.9 volts IIRC.

Finally got around to buying an Ultra-Gauge to compliment what Ford forgot on the dashboard.

Within seconds of plugging it in, I got an ECU overvoltage alarm on the Ultra-Gauge. It is showing that my vehicle is putting out as much as 14.95 volts. The alarm is set to show at 14.90.

On my commute this morning, the alarm sounded 6 times on my 9 mile drive. It is cold here, low 20's.

I recommend setting up an appointment with your dealer for diagnosis. Once you do, please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. I'll check into some options.

Meagan