Sign in to follow this  
Carol S.

Donut Spare?

I just read on someone's post that a donut spare was on the shopping list for his 2015 FFH Titanium. Is it possible now for me to order a donut spare from my ford dealer without having to "special" order this and that? I would welcome this!

Search for "spare" on here and you'll find several options that others have come up with - everything from new to salvage options, eBay to parts direct from Ford.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Ford offers a donut spare "kit" that includes wheel, tire, jack and lug wrench.

Many consider the price too high but only you can make that call.

I've been considering ordering a "kit" but probably won't as I'm retired and usually don't HAVE to be anywhere at a certain time.

I'll probably depend on AAA and let things fall where they may.

I just read on someone's post that a donut spare was on the shopping list for his 2015 FFH Titanium. Is it possible now for me to order a donut spare from my ford dealer without having to "special" order this and that? I would welcome this!

Are you asking if the spare tire kit is optional equipment when you order a FFH? The answer to that question is no. Maybe that will change in the future but it was not optional equipment when ordering my 2015 FFH.

I found the entire spare tire kit (tire, wheel, jack, foam packing block) that had never been used from a wrecked 2013 gas Fusion at a salvage yard for a very reasonable price (much cheaper than ordering the kit piecemeal from Ford).

A few phone calls will likely yield the same results for you. Many (most?) salvage yards participate in a national inventory system. If they don't have it they can tell you who does.

We have a lot of info in our 'Wheel and Tire' Section, I just moved this Thread there.

In this Section there is one member who posted all the part numbers that are needed if you want to buy from a Dealer. It is expensive.

Most other members have found new or used donut wheels/tire, jack, lug wrench and foam insert by looking on Ebay or at local auto wrecking yards, or a combination of both.

Edited by GrySql

That remark may have been mine ... as I plan on getting a donut spare for the new car. It is not an ordered package but a shopping list of several components that make up the set. I'll most likely go through the dealer parts department if I go that route.

My brother has a '12 (or '13 - can't recall) FFH and he priced the entire set of pieces at about $800 thru his dealer. Going the junkyard route might be less expensive and depending on your area taxes and whatnot may boost the amount.

I'm retired but love to see the country (as much as I can) from behind the steering wheel. I can easily put on a lot of miles and I simply refuse to use fix-a-flat when better and more palatable options are out there.

Edited by Cobra348

Just keep in mind that the FFH will not pass the federally-mandated crash tests with a donut spare in place. That being said, I still put one in mine.

That remark may have been mine ... as I plan on getting a donut spare for the new car. It is not an ordered package but a shopping list of several components that make up the set. I'll most likely go through the dealer parts department if I go that route.

Larry, if you're going to go through the dealer parts department, at least do this: go to FordParts.com and set up an account. When you do this you will be shown the dealers in/near your zip code. Pick one as your primary dealer to shop at. As you add the parts to your cart, you will see the MSRP as well as your price for each one. If you don't see a discount on your price, change dealers to see if anyone is discounting the prices. Pretty much anything you order on the site will be delivered to the selected dealer and you can pick it up for free. My local dealer discounts almost everything by about 10%. You probably won't be able to get the tire easily that way though. Your best bet for that is tirerack.com. Mine cost me $121 with fees, tax & shipping. Save a little money, even at the dealer!

Edited by TonyHzNV

Larry, if you're going to go through the dealer parts department, at least do this: go to FordParts.com and set up an account. When you do this you will be shown the dealers in/near your zip code. Pick one as your primary dealer to shop at. As you add the parts to your cart, you will see the MSRP as well as your price for each one. If you don't see a discount on your price, change dealers to see if anyone is discounting the prices. Pretty much anything you order on the site will be delivered to the selected dealer and you can pick it up for free. My local dealer discounts almost everything by about 10%. You probably won't be able to get the tire easily that way though. Your best bet for that is tirerack.com. Mine cost me $121 with fees, tax & shipping. Save a little money, even at the dealer!

Thank you! I did not know that but was considering contacting a Ford dealer who is a Fiesta Forum sponsor for pricing when I was ready for it. But I think I'll use your suggestion first! :worship: Closest dealer to me is 12 miles away and where I am getting the FFH plus had purchased my first 2 Fiestas at. I'll see how they shape up!

I got the entire thing, tire, wheel, jack, wrench, foam block shipped to me for $110. Just go on ebay and look for "2013 Focus spare". Even if the spare comes out of a wreck that had 50,000 miles, it will almost certainly still be in brand new condition.

I asked the sales manager to throw a spare in when we were negotiating the price of my car. He first offered to sell it to me at cost, then decided to just give it to me when it looked like we couldn't come to terms. I forgot to ask for a Jack and Wrench, but I picked those up at a junkyard.

Thank you! I did not know that but was considering contacting a Ford dealer who is a Fiesta Forum sponsor for pricing when I was ready for it. But I think I'll use your suggestion first! :worship: Closest dealer to me is 12 miles away and where I am getting the FFH plus had purchased my first 2 Fiestas at. I'll see how they shape up!

Larry: I have attached a copy of my shopping cart at fordparts.com containing all the items except the tire so you can see the possibility I am talking about. As you can see, there is right at $100 difference, at least at my dealer. Not all of them do this, but it's worth a look. I have also attached a couple of Tire Rack sheets showing the tires we are talking about as well. I opted for the T135/90R16 for a slightly wider tire (which as you see can now be had for $88 plus shipping/fees. It fits perfectly in the well on top of the foam jack/tool holder and doesn't lift the trunk floor by any noticeable amount. When you go to install this stuff, be aware that the foam tool holder can actually be installed 2 ways, so if your tire doesn't seem to fit right at first, rotate the foam tool holder 180 degrees and it will fit. Good luck and congrats again on your new car!

SpareTire FordParts001.pdf

TireRack 125-90-16 Search Results.pdf

TireRack 135-90-16 Search Results 2.pdf

Just keep in mind that the FFH will not pass the federally-mandated crash tests with a donut spare in place. That being said, I still put one in mine.

And this would bother me how? <chuckle> I couldn't care less and plan on installation as soon as I can. So I'll be joining you in thumbing my nose at "whoever".

Thats not something that would have occured to me. Is that because the spare tire would be forced into the HVB resulting in a compromised HVB?

In a severe rear-end collision I can see that happening. Good thinking.

Retro-spare location ... create a well in the trunk that would hold a donut vertically ... say on the right side. Jack, handle are stowed between donut and inside fender. Shades of the 40s and 50s autos. Shift the gas tank a bit left but we still might lose a gallon or so capacity. <shrug> We would certainly lose trunk capacity.

Edited by Cobra348

Thats not something that would have occured to me. Is that because the spare tire would be forced into the HVB resulting in a compromised HVB?

I suspect that in a rear end collision the tire could be forced into the HVB which would then break free and go through the rear seat, crunching anyone sitting back there. I have no idea how severe a crash it would take or what the odds of this happening are though.

Edited by Waldo

Which ones.......front, side, rear, offset......there is more than one.

Edited by Easy Rider