BiXLL

More Extended Warranty discussions

Myself, I am thinking 8 year Premium Care which is basicly a bumper to bumper warranty. I am also thinking that the $380.00 difference between 0 and 50 deductable which works out to $47.50 more per year why not go 0 de3ductable? Am I looking at this wrong, what am I not considering? I mean to me its a no brainer with the minor differences in price versus coverage? Tell me your thoughts

If the cost difference is $380.00 more for the $0.00 deductible, then you have to make more than 8 claims against this ESP before you would be ahead of the game. Do you think you will use it more than 8 times when considering Fords 3 year 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty plus the 5 year 60,000 power train warranty plus the 8 year 100,000 hybrid component warranty (which includes the eCVT and the HVB)?

Edited by Texasota

You noted that you've already read the other threads on this subject, so you know that some are for purchasing them, some are against it.

My anecdotal example is my 2010 FFH for which I purchased a 4yr/100k ESP, and used it once for an O2 sensor, and that's it. So Ford made some money of me on that. On the other hand, a co-worker also bought a 2010 FFH just a couple months after me, he also got the ESP, and his car had several gremlins and the warranty costs were over $6k. So for him it was definitely worth it.

I tend to get them to outlay a known amount as a hedge against an unknown amount, but like others will note it's a matter of rolling the dice. So it depends on your tolerance for risk, and for me I would rather nail down the known expense and move on with life. If others don't, that's their call. There's no need for anyone to berate one as throwring money away if one does not choose to get one... nor is there a need to do the same for those that don't choose to get one and say that they'll be sorry. It's your money, make your choices and those who don't like it can attempt to perform an act that is not humanly possible.

That said, I have the 4yr/125k on my car and 7yr/100k on her car.

I am not an advocate for or against extended warranties. I have bought them in the past but not on any recent car purchases. Here is Consumer Reports advice:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2014/04/extended-warranties-for-cars-are-an-expensive-game/index.htm

There is a wide spectrum of opinions on CR but it is worth the time to read their take and then make your own decision.

I got 4 year 125K $200 deductible. If there are any major repairs, they will be much more than $200 to repair, and for the most part any minor repairs done will be under $200.

Premiumcare covers the most, so you are completely covered. The others have gaps that they dont cover, like interior electronics and such.

There are 4 levels of care,

Powertrain, which covers whats under the hood, Except Electrical. So if anything electrical fails, like the PCM, Not Covered.

Base Care Everything under the hood, AC suspension , brakes, steering and Electrical. There are limits to what is covered, not all electrical is covered, nor are specialty electronics, like roll over control modules, etc.

Extra Care, add High Tech. These are the ones you want covered as it covers the dash displays, center stack, etc. If any one of these items goes bad, big money to repair. However, there are limitations to what is actually covered. It does not cover hybrid components. Again, not everything is covered, like the drivers tech package, lane keeping, auto high beams, rain sense wipers, are not covered.

Premium Care, Add the ford stereo, rear suspension, Emissions, and Safety. This one covers everything except body panels.

If you plan to drive beyond the hybrid warranty, the PremiumCare is the one to go with, up to 125K miles.

Edited by acdii

If you plan to drive beyond the hybrid warranty, the PremiumCare is the one to go with, up to 125K miles.

This is very much a matter of personal choice and what you are comfortable with. Nothing wrong with paying for an extended warranty if it makes you more comfortable. But in most cases, as the CR survey data shows, very few purchasers of an extended warranty come out ahead in the end.