mwr

Another "adding oil" question

I would add ¾ quart, or whatever it takes to get it to the max line. The way I've always looked at it is, the range is there to let me know whether or not the level has fallen too low. If it drops faster than expected, that's a clue to check it more often. Technically, you're not low on oil unless it's below the lower mark, but I prefer to keep it at max as much as possible.

Edited by md13ffhguy

As long as oil doesn't contact the crank while in operation. If you over fill where it does then the oil will foam and that is a bad thing. Anywhere between the holes on the dipstick is fine, I always went halfway between and checked on a cold engine before starting, this way all the oil in the head is in the pan, only the oil in the galleys isn't in there and that is no more than a couple ounces.

If you check on a just run engine, cold or hot, the level will be lower than actual since oil still remains up on the head where it bleeds out of the cam and rockers. It isnt much but if you are at the full mark when checking on a just run engine, it can actually be higher. On some engines I have seen as much as half the distance between marks between a sitting engine and one that just ran, especially on the big V8's. If you checked it after running and it was halfway and felt, I'll add just a little more to get it to the top, you could actually overfill it and cause oil foaming.

The FFH Owner's manuals imply you can check the oil when it is warm, but the standard procedure is to check the oil when the engine is cold.

ENGINE OIL CHECK
Check the level before starting the engine and make sure that the level is between the MIN and the MAX marks.

1. Make sure that your vehicle is on level ground.
2. Switch the engine off and wait 10 minutes for the oil to drain into the oil pan.
3. Remove the dipstick and wipe it with a clean, lint-free cloth. Replace the dipstick and remove it again to check the oil level.

Above, it should say "wait at least 10 minutes", which would include letting it wait overnight.

Warm oil will expand just a bit, so doing it as the manual suggests would show max oil level.

On the Vette, pretty sure they still do this, they dont use an "oil pan" in a conventional manner, they use a dry sump configuration where oil is in a bottle off to the side. If this is still the case, oil fill is critical as it has to be exact, too much and it will lay in the pan and hit the crank. In this type of system, oil foaming is a very bad thing. It could cause cavitation in the pump which will cause oil starvation and complete engine failure.

I always liked having the level right in between the hash marks, this gives it room to expand and contract and never be over or under.

"If" there's a low quantity oil light and "if" it comes on, it may be too late. Check your own oil. If your low oil pressure light comes on, you're likely screwed unless you shut the car down instantly.

Edited by lolder