Sign in to follow this  
QuickRick

New Member reponsible for a fleet of Fusion Hybrids

These are good cars that should last a long time but the 12 vdc battery ( LVB ) is a weak point. It is small and the load when the car is off is high. If it has gone dead a few times it should be replaced. The Owners Guide says the car must be run for 10 minutes every month to charge the HVB but that's not enough for the LVB. The solution is a trickle charger. There is a method to avoid running the car once a month ( if there is a LVB trickle charger ). Only the ICE can charge the HVB.

With the car on in "P", press the accelerator pedal down about 1/3 and the ICE will start and run as long as you hold the pedal. Do so until the HVB charge gauge reaches "H" and release the pedal. The car can be left many months this way, maybe as long as a year.

Since these are 2012 models, the battery is under the hood, not in the trunk. This makes it easier to put a maintenance charger on them as you can sneak the plug out the grill while keeping the car secured. A maintenance charger like those used on ATV and motorcycles will keep the battery peaked provided they are charged prior to putting on the maintenance charger. You may also be a able to use solar chargers instead. If you have spots reserved for these cars, put a solar charger on a post, with the plug going to the car, and just make sure that you have a sign on the steering wheel telling the driver to UNPLUG the charger.

Hello Fusion Fans,

I joined this club to learn all that I can from you. Specifically, I am helping my management with their fleet of cars, 6 of them being 2012 Hybrid Fusions. I liked the cars lots in the days when we used them to do a lot of driving.

We recently all moved onto a consolidated campus where I work for the Federal Government, FDA. Our problem, which is one many want, is we don't have to drive our cars nearly as much as before. We are located floors away rather than miles apart as in the old days. Our Fusions do a lot of sitting and are now "quite dead" many times when we need them.

I am open to any ideas that will make our cars ready and willing when we are. The conventional cars and trucks seem to be able to withstand this treatment better which is slowly damaging the Hybrid's reputation.

Tell me if you have had this problem with your underused cars and what you did to alleviate it. My guess is that a trickle charger every so often at night may be key.

Thanks in advance,

QR

I doubt if the problem is the HVB, the nickle metal hydride batteries have gone over 300K miles on Escape fleets. I have 106K miles on my 2010 FFH, and I have never had a problem with the original LVB, but the car has never not been driven for over 2 weeks at a time. I have never used a trickle charger or float charger on it. I think you need to do a little more study to confirm the voltage and amp capability on the LVB on one of these dead vehicles. I have a 100 amp load tester, and if I see at least 10.3 volts at 100 amp load, engine off, I know I am good. (100 amp load tester, $23 at Harbor Freight).

http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp-612v-battery-load-tester-61747.html

Hello Fusion Fans,

I joined this club to learn all that I can from you. Specifically, I am helping my management with their fleet of cars, 6 of them being 2012 Hybrid Fusions. I liked the cars lots in the days when we used them to do a lot of driving.

We recently all moved onto a consolidated campus where I work for the Federal Government, FDA. Our problem, which is one many want, is we don't have to drive our cars nearly as much as before. We are located floors away rather than miles apart as in the old days. Our Fusions do a lot of sitting and are now "quite dead" many times when we need them.

I am open to any ideas that will make our cars ready and willing when we are. The conventional cars and trucks seem to be able to withstand this treatment better which is slowly damaging the Hybrid's reputation.

Tell me if you have had this problem with your underused cars and what you did to alleviate it. My guess is that a trickle charger every so often at night may be key.

Thanks in advance,

QR

Welcome to the forum!

In addition to all the awesome help the rest of the members will provide, don't forget to check out fleet.ford.com. You can also call our Fleet Customer Relationship Center at 1-800-34-FLEET (1-800-343-5338) if you need anything. :)

Meagan