mwr

Lexus CT - why such low mpg?

Probably weight. The higher end cars tend to use heavier materials for sound deadening, thicker glass in the windows, etc. That all adds up to lower FE. Thats why the MKZh has lower EPA than the identical FFH.

Probably weight. The higher end cars tend to use heavier materials for sound deadening, thicker glass in the windows, etc. That all adds up to lower FE. Thats why the MKZh has lower EPA than the identical FFH.

Identical? What? Really? Okay, you just joined corncobs on my list! :)

I was admiring the red color on a small Lexus today, and the owner said ti was a CT Hybrid model. I looked it up and it seems to be Priuis sized and Prius powered. But it's EPA mpg rating is 40 hwy, 42 city, a bit less than the larger and more powerful FFH. Why?

I suspect Lexus owners might get more upset if you lied to them. The similar drivetrain Prius is only 100 lbs lighter and about a second slower in 0-60mph. Perhaps it's geared a little lower and it looks less aerodynamic. Prius car computer mpg computations are as much as 6 mpg too high. Fuelly shows Prii at about 47, CT200 about 41-42 and the 2013+ FFH about 39 mph

Identical? What? Really? Okay, you just joined corncobs on my list! :)

Drivetrain my friend, Drive Train!