Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

LED Puddle Lights DIY

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thrasher086

thrasher086

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 136 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 31 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

I have seen many topics on here on what works and what doesn’t work with replacing the puddle lights with LED’s. I figured it would be great to post a new DIY guide on how I did it. Today was a very cold day in NY but I was determined to get this done.

First things first, you will need to remove your puddle light enclosure. Daytime Brightlites has a good video on how to do this. A good tip is to use a small flathead screw driver on the other side of the clip. Wedge it in there while pushing the clip with another screwdriver, which worked best for me.

https://www.youtube....h?v=2rSkqbMIgYU

Here are the tools I used below:

98828483-ddef-4f88-ad0d-5c09ba63898a.jpg

Someone recommenced these LED’s which do not flicker on my 2014 HyTi. You will not need to put in a resister and for a 4 pack is less than 6 bucks.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought this mini hack saw.

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Use the hack saw to car around the enclosure where the clear cover meets the black plastic. Just cut all around the enclosure till it looks like this:

e3774835-3926-4aa1-94b7-f96288cdfe68.jpg

2015-01-312012.09.02.jpg

Now take a screwdriver and slowly start prying the clear cover away. You will need to continue cutting if the cover doesn’t give in sections. Eventually the cover will come off cleany.

2015-01-312012.12.39.jpg

Take out the stock bulb. Due to the size of these LED’s, you will need to also take out the metal reflector. It won’t be needed anyway since LED’s only face one way. These bulbs are probably the biggest that can fit and will be tight.

Notice:All LED bulbs have to be plugged in a certain way,it has Positive and negative, so if they don't work at first, quickly take them out, turn them around 180 degree, and put them back in again.

I went back out to confirm the polarity was correct and the LED's were working. Do not glue them shut till after you test them.

2015-01-312011.31.38.jpg

Next is time to seal them up. I used some electrical tape to keep the bulbs in better place and then some crazy glue around the edges. I waited about 30 minutes for it to dry.

Now the last step is to pop them back in and time to enjoy the LED glow.

2015-01-312017.38.36.jpg

Here is a video I took to show the fade out still works without flicker.

http://vid41.photobu...31 17.39.15.mp4

Edited by thrasher086, 01 July 2015 - 07:40 AM.

• hybridbear, GrySql, corncobs and 3 others like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   lsherlockl

lsherlockl

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 73 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:51 AM

Excellent got to do this now, was just debating how to do this and just in time!

• thrasher086 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   thrasher086

thrasher086

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

Excellent got to do this now, was just debating how to do this and just in time!

That is what I like to hear. Update the thread to let me know how it goes.

#4 OFFLINE   securityguy

securityguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 67 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FUSION SE HYBRID
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:12 PM

Just ordered mine from www.drivebright.com

Edited by securityguy, 27 June 2015 - 09:12 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   thavil

thavil

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 168 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ice Storm FFH FE w/Luxury Package

Posted 28 June 2015 - 02:32 PM

Just ordered mine from www.drivebright.com

Still love my drivebright puddle lamps! I hit the unlock button on my FOB as soon as I walk out my front door each morning. This gives me plenty of time to stare at the car all lit up.

Mods/accessories:
Tint 35%
LED license plate and trunk lights
Husky WeatherBeaters floor mats
Covercraft sun screen
Proclip cell phone holder
Stubby antenna (4")
LED puddle lamps (DaytimeBrightLites)
AVS in-channel window vents
Mud flaps (OEM) front/rear
(Shhh, the wife only knows about half of them!)

#6 OFFLINE   thrasher086

thrasher086

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

76 dollars compared to 6-15 bucks depending on if you have the saw and glue. To me, I get more satisfaction if I can do it myself. To each their own.

#7 OFFLINE   securityguy

securityguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 08:58 PM

I don't disagree that what you have done works well but the quality of the DriveBright bulbs is excellent and a simple plug-n-play.  I am an EE and love to tinker and can easily do as you have done and have more tools than you can imagine.  However, I like the PNP solution and don't have the time or patience now to manufacture what I know will be an inferior product.  Kudos to you on your accomplishment but most on this forum just don't want to mess with the exercise you've undertaken regardless of the cost savings so the DB units are the perfect product for the majority of Ford owners.

#8 OFFLINE   thrasher086

thrasher086

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:27 AM

Maybe I am taking it to personal but this thread was for the people that want to do this themselves. That's why it's a DIY. Stating that "most on this forum just don't want to mess with the exercise you've undertaken" is simply YOUR opinion and not the community. You just didn't wan't to mess around with it and I understand that since it is crazy that Ford didn't make the bulb easier to replace.

Saying it is inferior is a pretty strong choice of words. I did not get to see a DriveBright bulb in person but they most likely do the same type of work that I performed. Maybe they have a better way in getting the plastic off and not using a hacksaw but it is still an LED that they purchase online somewhere. What is stopping me from making a website and selling them myself? Would you assume if I came up with a good name and a nice looking website, that the product is better?

Once again, I may be taking this personal but I put in the time and work to make this DIY for the forums here because it is valuable no matter what you opinion is. I wouldn't being going into a DIY thread to post a reply to buy somewhere else since that isn't the main topic.

Edited by thrasher086, 30 June 2015 - 03:10 PM.

• hybridbear, GrySql and SteveB_TX like this

#9 OFFLINE   securityguy

securityguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:06 PM

No disrespect intended.  The DriveBright is not a core change or a modified factory unit.  It was custom designed and manufactured to be exactly what it is.  If you custom designed and engineered a product that was similar and to the same specifications I would buy one from you :)   You bring up PUDDLE LIGHTS and all replies are valid...DIY is not a requirement but a point of entry.  You are taking this too personally.  Great job my friend on your innovation but telling folks where they can buy one PROFESSIONALLY made is what these forums are all about...so that folks understand they have a choice...make one for $15 or buy them for $67...the forum members will decide what's in there best interest. That's all...simply making folks aware there are other options far less involved.  I have no stock in this company...just ran across them on this forum and this was a perfect place to post it.  Hope were good and no harm done.

#10 OFFLINE   ls97

ls97

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 11 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:05 PM

Nice write up and good pictures showing how to do the modification.   Many LED's need to be installed a certain way since they have a positive and a negative.  I even copied this from the link you posted as to where you bought the bulbs.

Notice:All LED bulbs have to be plugged in a certain way,it has Positive and negative, so if they don't work at first, quickly take them out, turn them around 180 degree, and put them back in again.

I read where you did try the bulbs before gluing the lens shut, but it is worth repeating again.  Test the bulbs before gluing the lens back on.  Might save you the trouble of having to cut the lens off again.

• GrySql and thrasher086 like this

#11 OFFLINE   GrySql

GrySql

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 3,168 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:Yes
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

I don't disagree that what you have done works well but the quality of the DriveBright bulbs is excellent and a simple plug-n-play.  I am an EE and love to tinker and can easily do as you have done and have more tools than you can imagine.  However, I like the PNP solution and don't have the time or patience now to manufacture what I know will be an inferior product.  Kudos to you on your accomplishment but most on this forum just don't want to mess with the exercise you've undertaken regardless of the cost savings so the DB units are the perfect product for the majority of Ford owners.

Moderators note:

This Topic is about how one member did a project and then showed us how he did it. 

This Forum encourages Threads like this and we applaud the effort involved to share a project.

Adding personal opinions about quality or what other members might choose to do is off topic and unneeded.

Let's keep this Thread on track and avoid negative comments.

• hybridbear, gkinla and thrasher086 like this
The Time Machine....
'13 FFH SE - Platinum White
Custom ordered, build date: 11/30/12, delivered: 12/12/12 - Sold: 09/05/15

#12 OFFLINE   securityguy

securityguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:34 PM

I do not disagree and my use of the term "inferior" may not have been appropriate but the information contained in my post is valid and extremely useful for those who love the idea presented by thrasher, and I award his creativity and passion, but many may want a more professional product or cannot or will not attempt a modification like this on their own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·