Sign in to follow this  
apilon50

grinding noise with abs braking and stability control

Yeah, ABS can be loud, depends on where the pump is located. If mounted on the firewall that can be transmitted into the cabin. The Fusion Hybrid however is not anything like your Honda, the systems are totally different in how they function since Hybrids have a different means of activating them. The honda uses vacuum as the boost, the FFH uses a pump, which there is a thread around somewhere about a noise heard which was though to be the shutter motor but is actually the brake boost pump. When ABS kicks in it would most likely use both the boost pump and ABS pump.

So is it normal for the fusion to make that grinding noise ??

Mine makes unpleasant noises also. I think every car I have owned that had ABS made similar noises. This is from the FFH owner's manual:

HINTS ON DRIVING WITH ANTI-LOCK BRAKES

Note:When the system is operating, the brake pedal will pulse and may travel further. Maintain pressure on the brake pedal. You may also hear a noise from the system. This is normal. The anti-lock braking system will not eliminate the risks when:

• You drive too closely to the vehicle in front of you.

• Your vehicle is hydroplaning.

• You take corners too fast.

• The road surface is poor.

Edited by Texasota

The ABS in my 2012 Focus and 2002 GMC Sierra made noise that I would describe as grinding. It was very disconcerting the first time you heard it.

The noise and pulsating feedback on the brake pedal is likely perceived differently by drivers. We may be over analyzing the adjectives to describe it.

If it truly were brake grinding, it would happen every time service brakes are applied, not just when ABS kicks in. In fact if brakes are grinding, you would hear less of it under ABS conditions.

No, there is less grinding since the pads aren't forced against the rotors as hard, it would make a stuttering chattering grinding sound, completely different than the normal grinding they make when slowing. Not a good thing either, will cause damage to the calipers if its that far gone. The grinding will be softer in sound, provided of course the wheels didnt totally lock at that point.