Sign in to follow this  
TonyHzNV

What do YOU use for Navigation?

Of course all MFT spinoff user are welcome to participate as well. :)

That would mean Steve is only using the MLT NAV ?

Spinoff? Really? Okay, you are on my list. ;) And yes, I only use the MLT for my limited need for NAV. :)

OK I have to admit, on my recent trip to FL, I did not need my Tom Tom. While I had it with me, it remained in the center console. MLT routed me just fine, though when at disney, the exits to where I needed to go and where I actually got off were so close together that they overlapped on the screen, I needed to take the second exit, the green line covered it up until I was actually on the first exit. My FIL was in an 11 Navigator with the non MLT Nav, and his showed the same thing. I think this might have been the only case where the Tom Tom may have proved to be better, but will never know.

My, my, welcome to the misfits club... :salute: :lol:

Your quote from the A6 Thread: "Gotta be extremely careful what you say around this bunch Tony. Especially those misfits acdii and GrySql."

-

Acdii has been talking about adding an 'invitation only' discussion section and you have just pegged the name for it - The Misfits. Perfect.

I expect to receive the soon-to-be-negotiated royalties from the use of said section. :)

not being able to choose routing options such as "avoid tolls" & not being able to program multiple waypoints into the system for routing

Main reason I opted for the Nav. Convenience of these features. Once the Nav is setup correctly(which the BD was not, hence the ride on a Ferry on a dark and stormy night) then route planning, tied in with the fuel prices when you pay for travel link, comes in very handy. Unlike Gas Buddy, the built in Nav can search for fuel prices along the route, and that is very handy.

For traffic, I've found Inrix to work really well. We used that on our road trip and I use it regularly around Minneapolis.

HB, is Inrix similar to Waze? Is it free?

If/when I need to use a navigation system I use Apple Maps about 70% of the time, Waze about 10% of the time, and the in-car MFT about 20% of the time.

The main reason I don't use it more is because I don't want to give Google (which owns Waze) any more data about me than it already gets.

Apple thanks you, I'm sure. They really do care about you so much more than Google.

I use Waze sometimes when I have kids in the car; I set the voice to "Elvis" and it's pretty funny to hear "a-turn-left" in an Elvis voice when you're driving... There's no charge to use that voice. The main reason I don't use it more is because I don't want to give Google (which owns Waze) any more data about me than it already gets.

I knew I was going learn something fun, interesting or useful in this thread. I'm going to Elvis a try. Thanks, BLFarnsworth!

Edited by Texasota