Sign in to follow this  
billford

Driving in Reverse

Has anyone tried driving in reverse for maybe a mile?

For instance, your driving down a road and find the road closed at the end, you can't turn around so you have to reverse your way out.

From what I understand, the engine will not run while driving in reverse, so the high voltage battery cannot be charged. And if the high voltage battery is dead, the gas engine will not start.

I'm just wondering if any warning lights come on. Or maybe the driver should monitor the battery charge gauge and if it goes low, shift it into park to allow the engine to start and recharge the high voltage battery, then continue reversing your way out.

I've never tried this, but maybe someone has...

The ICE will run in reverse and charge the EV system so the motor can propel the car in reverse, maybe indefinitely.

The ICE can not drive the wheels directly while in reverse but it can run to provide electric power to run the traction motor in reverse.

I was mistaken.

My high voltage battery was down a bit, then I tried driving in reverse as a test. The gas engine started to run while in reverse when the dashboard battery indicator was quite low on the scale. I never seen it that low before...