hybridbear

Elevation data on the MFT screen

I referenced elevation data on the MFT screen in my road trip thread. Some owners have commented in that thread that they don't have access to this data. I want to try to figure out which cars have this and which don't.

Our car is a 2013 Energi Titanium with MFT and Sony audio, but no navigation. We are also running Sync 3.5.

To view the elevation data I tap on the gears & go to "Help" as shown below.

501CEF09-420C-454B-A44B-E65E3300573F_zps

When I tap on "Where Am I?" I get the screen below.

7BA6F606-40B1-44D6-9A24-4A8E3CE4CE95_zps

I just discovered while on our road trip that our car is still running Sync 3.5. I was going to update the car to 3.6 today but now I'm thinking I'll wait until I know that this display wasn't removed in the 3.6 update.

Thanks in advance to everyone who shares what their car shows. Please include the model year, trim level & Sync version of your car to figure this out.

My 2013 has 3.6.2, Nav w/A5 card and my screen layout is different than your picture, my 'Where am I' is in another place entirely.

On my Main screen I have an additional icon to the left of the little house (Home) icon, it's a capitial 'I' in script, means 'Information.

I push that and I get more menu choices and the 'Where am I' is in that menu.

Mine only shows lat/long, no elevation.

Page 345 in the OM shows what I just described.

I diligently searched every MFT Menu and could not find elevation on any screen.

My Garmin shows me the elevation.

Edited by GrySql

My 2013 has 3.6.2, Nav w/A5 card and my screen layout is different than your picture, my 'Where am I' is in another place entirely.

On my Main screen I have an additional icon to the left of the little house (Home) icon, it's a capitial 'I' in script, means 'Information.

I push that and I get more menu choices and the 'Where am I' is in that menu.

Mine only shows lat/long, no elevation.

Cars with navigation have the i. I wonder if this feature was eliminated in Sync 3.6. Thanks for checking. It'd be nice if someone with 3.6 but no navigation could chime in now.

2013 w/Nav, 3.6. Like GrySql, I only see lat and long - no elevation data.

You'd think a FFH with the expensive GPS Nav option would have basic data like elevation.

All FFH's have a GPS module for 911 Assist and the Event Data Recorder, it's starting to look like those without Nav show the elevation, I wonder why.

We need to find someone with Sync 3.7 and Nav to see if elevation is on theirs.

I have the Sync 3.7 update w/ Navigation, Nav App v3.62.5, and I don't get any elevation data. Here's a pic. Like, GrySql, I press the "I" button next to home to get to the "Where am I?" button.

post-13711-0-97541900-1421896142_thumb.jpg

Edited by TonyHzNV

Here is the question.

How accurate is the displayed elevation value?

The value that shows on our FFH is lower than what my handheld GPS says and also lower than a Topo map shows.

Jeff

Here is the question.

How accurate is the displayed elevation value?

The value that shows on our FFH is lower than what my handheld GPS says and also lower than a Topo map shows.

Jeff

Good question. A couple points along our trip had signs at the side of the road listing the elevation. In Arizona one sign at the continental divide said 7700 feet, the car showed 7600 feet. Another spot in New Mexico had a sign that said 5000 feet, the car showed 4950.

Now that I'm back home I need to pay attention & compare to a topographical map. The state of MN has an extremely detailed & highly accurate online topographical map that I can compare to.

It should also be noted that when you drop down to sea level or below the car just shows "000".

Very few (consumer grade) GPS's can give accurate elevation readings.

It all depends what you consider accurate.

My Garmin handheld GPS displays within 2 feet of a local benchmark. We have done studies where I work to determine how accurate, in relation to location, cell phone GPS is, and there are a number that are very accurate. Consumer GPS has come along way with the access to military sattelites.

Good question. A couple points along our trip had signs at the side of the road listing the elevation. In Arizona one sign at the continental divide said 7700 feet, the car showed 7600 feet. Another spot in New Mexico had a sign that said 5000 feet, the car showed 4950.

Now that I'm back home I need to pay attention & compare to a topographical map. The state of MN has an extremely detailed & highly accurate online topographical map that I can compare to.

It should also be noted that when you drop down to sea level or below the car just shows "000".

Find a local benchmark and try to park the car at it and take a reading.

Minnesota has an excellent site showing benchmarks in the stae. The MNDOT site is below.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/maps/geodetic/

Once at the state map, you can zoom in to an area. Once zoomed in enough, the geodetic marks/monuments will be displayed. From here you can pull up the monuments data sheets that will containg its metadata including elevation.

I remember once running over the same mountain pass multiple times in a day and noting the elevation on the screen (this was on the previous Ford touchscreen nav system, not MFT). Everytime I crested the summit the elevation would be different by as much as 200ft.

Maybe its taking it from MAP readings instead of GPS? Kind of like an Altimeter. If it were GPS based, it should be more accurate than that.

Directly from Garmin...

"SupportFrequently Asked Questions« Get additional answers from Garmin

How accurate is the GPS elevation reading?

Email this AnswerPrint this AnswerFrom Email Address To Email Address

01/12/2015

GPS heights are based on an ellipsoid (a mathematical representation of the earth's shape), while USGS map elevations are based on a vertical datum tied to the geoid (or what is commonly called mean sea level). Basically, they are two different systems, although they have a relationship that has been modeled.

The main source of error has to do with the arrangement of the satellite configurations during fix determinations. The earth blocks out satellites needed to get a good quality vertical measurement. Once the vertical datum is taken into account, the accuracy permitted by geometry considerations remains less than that of horizontal positions. It is not uncommon for satellite heights to be off from map elevations by +/- 400 ft. Use these values with caution when navigating."

And that is a good reason not to use GPS for altitude while flying. 400 feet discrepancy at night, or in overcast could be a bad thing. :) That would hold true for any GPS based nav system, regardless of who made it. Guess that one has been answered(though I do like the MAP theory, use the MAP sensor as a FAUX altimeter, :))

And that is a good reason not to use GPS for altitude while flying.

My car says on the ground most of the time, no need for elevation on the MFT Nav system, eh? :doh:

Hey everyone,

I had a chance to check our in-house MyFord Touch systems running V3.6.2 and V3.7. Both systems show the longitude and latitude, however, they do not provide the altitude.

If you'd like information about what should appear on your specific vehicle, send me a PM with your name, VIN, phone number, and current mileage. I'll do some digging! :)

Kim

Weird fact: In 2001 the elevation sign at Mt. Haleakala said it was 10,023 ft. In 2013, the sign said 9,740 ft.

Could Maui be sinking into the Pacific? :confused:

Weird fact: In 2001 the elevation sign at Mt. Haleakala said it was 10,023 ft. In 2013, the sign said 9,740 ft.

Could Maui be sinking into the Pacific? :confused:

What goes up, must come down! :) Especially when it's due to volcanic activity!

Hey everyone,

I had a chance to check our in-house MyFord Touch systems running V3.6.2 and V3.7. Both systems show the longitude and latitude, however, they do not provide the altitude.

If you'd like information about what should appear on your specific vehicle, send me a PM with your name, VIN, phone number, and current mileage. I'll do some digging! :)

Kim

Hey Kim, it seems to be related to whether or not the car is equipped with Navigation, not which version of Sync we have. Maybe you can confirm that and why the difference in displays. Thanks!

Edited by TonyHzNV

Find a local benchmark and try to park the car at it and take a reading.

Minnesota has an excellent site showing benchmarks in the stae. The MNDOT site is below.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/maps/geodetic/

Once at the state map, you can zoom in to an area. Once zoomed in enough, the geodetic marks/monuments will be displayed. From here you can pull up the monuments data sheets that will containg its metadata including elevation.

This is the site I use. Larryh found it.