I finally just had to cut the strap to get him out... he had marks on his waist from it - like a burn - nothing bad, but enough that you could see it plainly.

I went out and tried an experiment on my rear center belt. I pulled as hard as I could on the belt while it was buckled. I am a strong guy so I had it very tight but it still released easily when I pushed the red button.

After you cut it would it then release properly? If you still can't release it (after cutting), then it sounds like it is defective and may be defective regardless. I would suggest your have you dealer look at it.

There is another possibility here. It is easy to hook that center belt incorrectly into the receptacle for the right rear passenger and that make it harder to reach the button to release it. Any chance it was inserted into the wrong receptacle? I tried that on mine also, with lots of tension, and even though it was harder to reach the button with my finger it still released properly.

Edited by Texasota

Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the seatbelts locking. My 9 year old son was in the middle of the back seat - seatbelt buckled; he was moving around doing something and it unbuckled (not a big deal for a few seconds)... He turned to get something and somehow the seatbelt became locked (would have been nice if he had told me then, not 30 minutes later when we stopped). I tried everything I could think of to loosen the strap... gently fed it back a little to release the locking mechanism - nothing worked and it was so tight around him there was not much slack to work with. God forbid there was an emergency, he was trapped. I tried with the car running, with it off, after driving a a short distance with gentle breaking. NOTHING worked. I finally just had to cut the strap to get him out... he had marks on his waist from it - like a burn - nothing bad, but enough that you could see it plainly.

Has anyone else had any problems w/their Fusion seatbelts? Ours is brand new - 2015; we've only had it since Sept 2014.

Thanks!

I did some research into this, and here's what I found. I highlighted the relevant parts.

Safety Belt Locking Modes

WARNINGS After any vehicle crash, the safety belt system at all passenger seating positions must be checked by an authorized dealer to verify that the automatic locking retractor feature for child seats is still functioning properly. In addition, all safety belts should be checked for proper function.

Belt and retractor assembly must be replaced if the safety belt assembly automatic locking retractor feature or any other safety belt function is not operating properly when checked by an authorized dealer. Failure to replace the belt and retractor assembly could increase the risk of injury in crashes. All safety restraints in the vehicle are combination lap and shoulder belts.

The driver safety belt has the vehicle sensitive locking mode. The front outboard passenger and rear seat safety belts have both the vehicle sensitive locking mode and the automatic locking mode.

Vehicle Sensitive Mode

This is the normal retractor mode, which allows free shoulder belt length adjustment to your movements and locking in response to vehicle movement. For example, if the driver brakes suddenly or turns a corner sharply, or the vehicle receives an impact of about 5 mph (8 km/h) or more, the combination safety belts will lock to help reduce forward movement of the driver and passengers. In addition, the retractor is designed to lock if the webbing is pulled out too quickly. If this occurs, let the belt retract slightly and pull webbing out again in a slow and controlled manner.

Automatic Locking Mode

In this mode, the shoulder belt is automatically pre-locked. The belt will still retract to remove any slack in the shoulder belt. The automatic locking mode is not available on the driver safety belt. When to Use the Automatic Locking Mode This mode should be used any time a child safety seat, except a booster, is installed in passenger front or rear seating positions. Children 12 years old and under should be properly restrained in a rear seating position whenever possible. See Child Safety (page 13).

How to Use the Automatic Locking Mode Non-inflatable safety belts

1. Buckle the combination lap and shoulder belt.

2. Grasp the shoulder portion and pull downward until the entire belt is pulled out. As the belt retracts, you will hear a clicking sound. This indicates the safety belt is now in the automatic locking mode.

How to Disengage the Automatic Locking Mode

Unbuckle the combination lap and shoulder belt and allow it to retract completely to disengage the automatic locking mode and activate the vehicle sensitive (emergency) locking mode.

If you haven't already, I recommend heading to your dealer to have this looked into. Once you have an appointment set up, please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

You'll need to see your Dealer about this. In your behalf I sent a PM to our Forum Ford Rep Meagan, she should contact you soon.

Thanks!

Meagan

The left seat belt in the new Focus did that yesterday. Locked up where it will not move. They ordered a new one and should have it in by Friday.

Im having this issue with my '13 Ford Fusion 2.0L EcoBoost... I put the seat down and the 60 of the 40/60 is stuck down, so I called ford and they said to leave it for a few days and they'd tell me how much it would cost to repair. I currently have about 70k, so he said it was out of warranty.

Thanks for reaching out. I want to check out some additional assistance. Please private message me your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan