GrayStrider

New Transmission

I have been catching up with some of my magazine reading and noticed that the April issue of Consumer Reports published the reliability data that shows the problematic areas for all cars broken down by model year. This data comes from the surveys that are returned from car owners and I think last year they did not publish this detailed data in the April issue. Instead, they tried to sell that data to create additional revenue. I am guessing they received a boat load of complaints and resumed publishing this data since it is now again present in the April 2015 issue.

Anyway, the 2013 and 2014 FFHs received a top rating for Transmission-Major and a top rating for Transmission-Minor. If there is a trend in transmission failures for the FFH, then it is not yet showing up in the survey data being returned to Consumer Reports by FFH owners.

While at my dealership on 4/3/2015 for oil change and tire rotation I asked my service manager if they have had any FFH transmissions failures that required replacement and he said none. That was reassuring and a much more encouraging story as compared to conversations with him regarding the DCT transmissions in the Focus.

Stopped by our service department yesterday - my car was their second FFH transmission replacement. They've done two since mine, and have another coming in this week. We were assured that they now know of a manufacturing issue in the original transmissions, and that the new one they replaced it with does not have the issue. Still falls under the same warranty - 8 years/100K miles from purchase of car, even though it's a new transmission. Really wish they'd consider an update on the warranty since it's a new major part, but I guess I should be happy that the replacement cost me nothing.

the replacement cost me nothing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry you had to deal with the major repair, but very glad to hear this part! :happy feet:

It was also great that the dealership covered the cost of the rental while we were waiting on the part, which took close to a month to receive and install.

Stopped by our service department yesterday - my car was their second FFH transmission replacement. They've done two since mine, and have another coming in this week. We were assured that they now know of a manufacturing issue in the original transmissions, and that the new one they replaced it with does not have the issue. Still falls under the same warranty - 8 years/100K miles from purchase of car, even though it's a new transmission. Really wish they'd consider an update on the warranty since it's a new major part, but I guess I should be happy that the replacement cost me nothing.

Your car didn't qualify for the 10/150 CARB warranty? I know someone had thoroughly researched this but I'm still confused...

Your car didn't qualify for the 10/150 CARB warranty? I know someone had thoroughly researched this but I'm still confused...

It was I that researched the CARB stuff. Only AT PZEVs qualify for that which are the Energi and C-Max plug ins, not the FFH. And....even under CARB, 10/150 only applies to the HVB. The eCVT is only covered for 7 yrs/70k miles per the CARB warranty and only for plug-ins Energi & C-Max. The Ford hybrid specific component warranty of 8 yrs/100k miles is the best you're gonna get.

Edit: again, for the Energi and C-Max plug-ins only, in CARB states, if your car fails a smog check for any reason for 15 years/150K miles, Ford is required to fix it free of charge so that it will pass a smog check because that is part of the AT PZEV certification requirement.

These things don't apply to the FFH because the FFH is certified in California (and CARB states) as a ULEV and NOT an AT PZEV.

Edited by TonyHzNV

Haven't been on in a long while. Had the new transmission put in at dealer cost at the 49K mile mark on our Job 1 2013 FFH, back in early 2015. Earlier this month during a routine oil change, we were told there's a trans fluid leak. About a week later we got it in to the dealer and they said they'd need to do a $1600+ repair job to fix the leak. Seriously? What is it with the transmissions on this car? I'm wondering if we need to contact Ford about this (not the dealer, someone higher up) and see what assistance we can get. We haven't had it fixed yet. Suggestions? My husband spoke to the shop where we have our Saturn VUE serviced and they thought it to be rather odd that we'd be having a second transmission issue, and it's rather curious that each time it's been at about the 49K mark on each transmission where there's a problem. Help!!

The transmission is warranted for 8/100,000 y/m. Ford brought the manufacture of the Japanese Aisin hybrid transmission in house in 2013. It was supposed to be "improved". It was not. They had early internal bearing failures ( the grinding ) and case oil leaks. If you're within the warranty, demand that it be covered. If not, rant and rave to Ford particularly in their new car show room. You'll probably get arrested but what the hell.

Hi everybody,

I know I am gravedigging an older thread, but wanted to report that I am having the same issue and would love your help/advice... I have a 2013 FFH with 85k miles on it and heard the exact same loud whining that other owners reported as well. I took it into my dealer who explained that it was in fact NOT covered by warranty. They confirmed that it was a transmission issue, but said it was a specific bearing (TSB 20-2219) that Ford classified as a "mechanical" part of the transmission, thus not covered by the 8 year, 100,000 mile "hybrid" component coverage. I was a little surprised because the language in the warranty guide only mentions "hybrid continuously variable transmission" but does not have any specifics about mechanical pieces of the transmission that are not covered. (pasting the language from the warranty guide below)

(4) Your vehicle’s unique hybrid / electric components are covered during the Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. • The following hybrid parts are covered during this extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, hybrid continuously variable transmission

So, I would love your advice on how to handle, because I certainly can't justify spending $6k on this car for a new transmission. The dealer actually told me that it might dhave a different outcome dealer-to-dealer, and that if I went a town over they might have replaced the whole thing since it was simply a transmission problem. Is this true?? Should I try to take it elsewhere and see if that is true, or do dealers share VIN information between dealerships?

Thanks all ?

CFC 

cfc26play,

I have the issue now at 140,000 miles.

The problem is a bearing or bearing cup that the shaft (Transfer Shaft) that combines the three primary moving elements (Engine, Starter/Generator Motor, Main Electric Motor) to the wheel shaft. This shaft is not present in any non hybrid Fusion. Your dealer doesn’t know what they are talking about. Press them on it. If Ford has classified it as mechanical then dealer outcomes would be the same and your dealer wouldn’t have told you to go a town over, they just don’t want to have to do the warranty work. Language from the warranty guide indicates the whole transmission is warrantied.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:05 PM, kuzzi said:

cfc26play,

I have the issue now at 140,000 miles.

The problem is a bearing or bearing cup that the shaft (Transfer Shaft) that combines the three primary moving elements (Engine, Starter/Generator Motor, Main Electric Motor) to the wheel shaft. This shaft is not present in any non hybrid Fusion. Your dealer doesn’t know what they are talking about. Press them on it. If Ford has classified it as mechanical then dealer outcomes would be the same and your dealer wouldn’t have told you to go a town over, they just don’t want to have to do the warranty work. Language from the warranty guide indicates the whole transmission is warrantied.

Hi kuzzi,

Great news to share! I ultimately brought my 2013 FFH to a different dealer in the town over, and 45 minutes after dropping it off they confirmed the issue and told me it was covered by warranty. All in all it took just under a week for them to get the parts in and make the repair, and I have my car back with a $0 bill (Ford even covered the initial diagnostic cost). For anyone in the future who might struggle with this, please please take your car to multiple dealerships if the first one says no! It worked for me and I really hope it works for you too!

Thank you for talking me through this,

CFC