GrayStrider

New Transmission

It appears that there are two sections to that radiator; the upper half for the electric powertrain cooling which uses coolant fluid and the lower half for the transmission fluid ( oil ) cooling. It is of interest why Ford didn't worry about transmission fluid cooling/circulation in the HEV while towing and yet did in the PHEV EnergI under normal operation. The electric powertrain would not need much cooling while towing but one would think the transmission fluid circulation should be the same because all the same gears and bearings are turning.

We don't know enough about this yet but three transmission failures on this forum are three more than I would expect.

There were a number of failures in 2004+ Ford Escape hybrids most attributed to a faulty motor electronics coolant pump which caused "Pull over Now" warnings.

Edited by lolder

We don't know enough about this yet but three transmission failures on this forum are three more than I would expect.

Three transmission failures is a concern but I don't think we can conclude that there is a pattern yet. At least there does not appear to be the widespread discussion/documentation on failures like there is for the Focus/Fiesta dual-clutch transmission. It would be interesting to know what the failure rate for our eCVTs is compared to that of the traditional 6-speed transmissions in the gas fusions.

Aside from the failures of the Escape transmissions due to the coolant pump, failures have been almost non-existent. There have been some "Pull over now" instances but they did not require a transmission replacement. I have been on this and other Ford hybrid forums since 2009 and I cannot recall another instance of the 2010+, 2013+ hybrids having these problems until now.

We are the canary in the coal mine here.

The Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity ( avt.inl.gov/pdf/hev/ar2013FordCMaxHEV.pdf ) has four C Max's under test in AZ which is usually the Phoenix Basin. They have a combined 200,000 + miles on them with no mention of transmission failures. Maybe the poster was a troll.

Don't want to foot the bill next time should the transmission fail, which could be 2.25 years from now if it happens again based on the mileage where most have failed at this point.

You eCVT transmission is covered by the factory hybrid component warranty which is good for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

In California the warranty is 10 years or 150,000 miles. I don't think you need to worry. You could take advantage of the Ford reps on this Forum to look into getting some assistance from Ford for the musty AC smell issue.

Wasn't there a discussion that the CARB state warranties of 150,000 miles were only for the HVB and not the eCVT?

Now that I think about it, I recall the dealer telling us that in CA, the hybrid car components are covered for 10 years/150,000 miles.

The musty smell issue is on us as we're outside of the warranty period (it started around 39K miles). Really wishing we bought an extended warranty. When serviced for the musty AC smell last summer, they just deodorized the system, which didn't do much of anything.

Was it under warranty when you brought it in for the musty smell?

These transmissions are not "wearing out". They are having premature failures and we don't know what the cause is yet and how wide the problem is. Ford is on the hook for at least 8 years and 100,000 miles. They have been telling the dealers to send the failed transmissions to Ford without opening them so a failure analysis is surely underway. We are all waiting for the other shoe to drop.

IF(note big if) the things that have started happening on mine are transmission related, then maybe it is a lubrication issue. Instead of messing with reprogramming, Ford may also have a retrofit kit to add the external pump used on the Energi to the FFH.

As noted in the other thread I started, I have heard this noise at low speed EV, and had dismissed it, but seeing that there have been a few failures, it has me questioning if the noise is normal or not, as it does sound like bearing noise. The regen brakes going away for a brief moment while turning could just be the steering wheel sensor, but it is not setting any codes. I just hope it doesn't cause me to lose control during a turn. At this time the noise I hear isn't a concern, but the brakes, that is.

Most likely you are correct, I hope this is not an issue though, and just a few errant transmissions. For all we know, splash lubrication is all it really needs to stay lubed for the EV portion in the FFH, and the Energi uses the pump for periodic shots of lube.

Besides, if what I am hearing happens to be final drive problems, then that portion is sitting in the lube and has nothing to do with the pressurized system. Just me being paranoid is all, my daily drive no longer consists of driving in civilization where if the car does happen to break, I am near someone within 15-30 minutes, or near a place I can pull into. The trip to my new job is all highway, with long stretches of farmland, and very few places where I can pull into. There is only one gas station along the route once I am in Wisconsin until I get to the town where I work. At least there is a Ford dealer there.