Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

New Transmission

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:31 AM

I'm not aware of anyone on the case except for my Raceway Ford service adviser, Tony.  I just emailed corporate, so let's see if that helps.

I'll check that manual page out when I get the car back... and I hope that's soon!  Today was day 18 that it's been in the shop.

I, too, tried to get into EV mode as much as possible.  It was always a game for me to get into EV mode whenever possible; however, my husband drives it more often and he didn't try to get it into EV mode by watching the coach.  It's uphill from Riverside to Yucaipa for work, with a flat section on the 10 that I can get into EV mode (we work at the same school).  More chance on that on the drive home.

Well there's your problem, you let him drive the car! :)

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   TonyHzNV

TonyHzNV

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 411 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SE Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:56 PM

Look at Page 228 in your 2013 Owners Manual at the Ford Customer Assistance page to see what other options you have.

I'll check that manual page out when I get the car back... and I hope that's soon!  Today was day 18 that it's been in the shop.

GrayStrider, we now have your owner's manual available for download (if you would like an electronic copy) here: http://fordfusionhyb...ations/?p=93098

Many of us keep a copy on the computer for convenience. Have a great day!

Edited by TonyHzNV, 04 February 2015 - 01:01 PM.

• hybridbear, GrySql and corncobs like this

340661.png

2013 F-150 XLT Super Cab Ingot Silver Metallic/Gray Cloth, 302A, 5.0L V8, 7100# GVWR Pkg, Tailgate Step, Cloth Bucket Seats. Build Date: 01/25/13

2014 Fusion SE Hybrid, Ruby Red Tinted Clearcoat/Charcoal Black Cloth, SE Appearance Pkg, Rear Spoiler, 18" Premium Sport Wheels, Tech/MFT Pkg, Rear View Camera, Reverse Sensing Sys, Adaptive Cruise Control, Nav System. Build Date: 11/25/13, Sync Version: 3.8 (w/nav)

Previous (Ford) Vehicles: 1995 Contour, 1999 Explorer Sport, 2002 Explorer XLS 4x4, 2003 Expedition XLT 4x4, 2007 F-150 XLT 4x4, 2007 Fusion SEL, 2012 Fusion SEL

"Do What You Can, For Who You Can, With What You Have, and What You Know"

#43 OFFLINE   ROB281

ROB281

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:57 AM

Car is still in the shop - they've had it since we dropped it off Thursday evening, January 15. Our service advisor got us a 10 day rental (a Mazda 5).  Our largest concern is this happening again.  We drive a lot (a 68 mile commute 5 days a week), and we're at 49K miles after 2.25 years of ownership.  We didn't buy an extended warranty. I don't want to be looking at a 7K repair in another 2.25 years. Anyone else with the same problem with theirs?

took my dealer a month to replace the transmission in mine, same symptoms as yours, this was in March of last year

Edited by ROB281, 05 February 2015 - 12:03 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   ROB281

ROB281

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 11:58 AM

I don't think anyone else has come here & reported issues. I recall one C-Max owner with a similar issue.

Do you spend a lot of time driving down steep grades in EV mode?

replaced mine with the same symptoms, so there's at least two job 1 fusion hybrids on this forum with new transmissions, the original transmission died at 55,700

scratch that, just came across another thread with a replacement transmission 

http://fordfusionhyb...717-loud-whine/

so there have been 3 replaced on the forums so far

Edited by ROB281, 05 February 2015 - 12:05 PM.

• GrySql likes this

#45 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,813 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2010 FFH 501A Trim
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:09 PM

I have a 2010 running perfectly but I am giving up on encouraging EV mode due to the concerns about lubrication failures in the eCVT with extended use of EV without a transmission lubricating pump operating. This problem has so far not appeared on these Gen II 2010-12 cars perhaps because of their lower 47 mph max EV speed but I'm not going to tempt fate for 1/2 mpg more. I'm going to pretty much just drive the car and ignore the HVB charge and not try to massage it's programmed behavior.

The design of these eCVT's should be bulletproof but the failures of only a few GEN III cCVT's in the mountains with the higher 86 mph max EV speed is to me, a wake up call.

If it is disclosed that these failures are due to something else entirely, I'll reconsider.

• acdii likes this

#46 OFFLINE   GrayStrider

GrayStrider

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 181 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion SE Hybrid

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:20 PM

But mine isn't due to mountain driving.  The car has only been up in our local mountains twice.  I don't stay in EV mode long at higher speed limits (like on the freeway to/from work).  I stay in EV mode for longer periods during around town driving, with speeds typically between 45 - 55 mph.

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, Sterling Gray, Luxury Package, Moonroof, Navigation, MFT, Rear Sensing System - LOVE IT!

170364.png

#47 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

But mine isn't due to mountain driving.  The car has only been up in our local mountains twice.  I don't stay in EV mode long at higher speed limits (like on the freeway to/from work).  I stay in EV mode for longer periods during around town driving, with speeds typically between 45 - 55 mph.

True, but the issue is that the FFH doesn't have an auxiliary transmission fluid pump. In the Gen I FFH this likely wasn't an issue because the EV only operation is so minimal. In the Prius this isn't an issue for the same reason. In the Energi, Ford was smart enough to install an electric auxiliary transmission fluid pump to keep the gears lubricated anytime the car is turned on. This is an issue in the FFH because of the higher percentage of EV miles. If you look at your Lifetime Summary, what are your total odometer miles & total EV miles?

Hopefully Ford will acknowledge that this was a poor design choice and hopefully then Gen III FFH will see this issue addressed.

Here is more info about the eCVT design.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#48 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:52 PM

The eCVT for the 2013+ hybrids has been made in-house by Ford instead of by Aisin, a Japanese Co. but it looks almost identical with the same architecture. The average time my 2010 Aisin transmission is in EV is 1/2 mile and 1 minute. Operating routinely several miles and minutes is a big change. If I owned a 2013+ now with the upper speed EV limit software, I think I would goose it periodically to get the ICE to run a few seconds to get some lubrication circulating in the transmission at least until the cause of these transmission failures is resolved. These types of transmissions SHOULD last 50 years !

Edited by lolder, 11 February 2015 - 01:01 PM.

• GrySql likes this

#49 OFFLINE   acdii

acdii

Fusion Hybrid Legal Resident

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 8,174 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2013 HyTi, 2013 Flex EbTi

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:41 PM

Sheez I have nearly 50% EV miles on mine.

Drive Smarter, Not Faster

Posted Image
https://www.facebook.../12595DesertRat

#50 OFFLINE   airbusguy

airbusguy

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Hybrid

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

I think the lack of a transmission pump is more to do with cooling than oil starvation - otherwise my transmission would have dropped out on the side of the road while towing😀. 5100 miles and counting and fingers crossed!

210489.png

#51 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

It appears that there are two sections to that radiator; the upper half for the electric powertrain cooling which uses coolant fluid and the lower half for the transmission fluid ( oil ) cooling. It is of interest why Ford didn't worry about transmission fluid cooling/circulation in the HEV while towing and yet did in the PHEV EnergI under normal operation. The electric powertrain would not need much cooling while towing but one would think the transmission fluid circulation should be the same because all the same gears and bearings are turning.

We don't know enough about this yet but three transmission failures on this forum are three more than I would expect.

There were a number of failures in 2004+ Ford Escape hybrids most attributed to a faulty motor electronics coolant pump which caused "Pull over Now" warnings.

Edited by lolder, 11 February 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#52 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:55 PM

We don't know enough about this yet but three transmission failures on this forum are three more than I would expect.

Three transmission failures is a concern but I don't think we can conclude that there is a pattern yet.  At least there does not appear to be the widespread discussion/documentation on failures like there is for the Focus/Fiesta dual-clutch transmission.  It would be interesting to know what the failure rate for our eCVTs is compared to that of the traditional 6-speed transmissions in the gas fusions.

• GrySql likes this

#53 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

Aside from the failures of the Escape transmissions due to the coolant pump, failures have been almost non-existent. There have been some "Pull over now" instances but they did not require a transmission replacement. I have been on this and other Ford hybrid forums since 2009 and I cannot recall another instance of the 2010+, 2013+ hybrids having these problems until now.

We are the canary in the coal mine here.

• hybridbear and GrySql like this

#54 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

I've seen a few C-Max owners also post about needing new transmissions for the same issues. One poster said he ran a fleet of C-Max taxis in Phoenix and that a large percentage of his fleet had transmission failures after about 1 year & 60,000 miles. Unfortunately he didn't provide many details and never returned to the forum to post an update.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

#55 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 12:56 AM

The Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity ( avt.inl.gov/pdf/hev/ar2013FordCMaxHEV.pdf ) has four C Max's under test in AZ which is usually the Phoenix Basin. They have a combined 200,000 + miles on them with no mention of transmission failures. Maybe the poster was a troll.

#56 OFFLINE   GrayStrider

GrayStrider

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

Four weeks to the day, and I have my car back.  Yay!  But as soon as I got in, I started wondering what's that smell, and forgot about the AC musty odor.  Ugh.  If we have that replaced, it's out of our pocket.

The dealership which did my transmission replacement did one prior to mine.  I'm wondering if I could have them reprogram it back to the lower EV speed that the car originally came with to help extend the transmission life.  Hubby is seriously thinking of getting something else considering the musty AC issue, the possibility of another transmission failure 2 or so years from now, and a stereo system that has a hiss to it.  Not sure how we'd fare since we've only made 37.5% of the 72 month payment plan we chose when we financed it.  Have no idea what we'd get as a replacement, and I'm angry with Ford that we're even thinking about this due to issues we've had with the car.  I love the styling and comfort but is it worth keeping at this point?  Don't want to foot the bill next time should the transmission fail, which could be 2.25 years from now if it happens again based on the mileage where most have failed at this point.

Someone earlier asked about the ratio of EV to total miles:  18993.2 EV miles, 49930.3 total miles = 38% EV mode.

2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, Sterling Gray, Luxury Package, Moonroof, Navigation, MFT, Rear Sensing System - LOVE IT!

170364.png

#57 OFFLINE   Texasota

Texasota

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 977 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion S Hybrid
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 14 February 2015 - 12:19 PM

Don't want to foot the bill next time should the transmission fail, which could be 2.25 years from now if it happens again based on the mileage where most have failed at this point.

You eCVT transmission is covered by the factory hybrid component warranty which is good for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

• hybridbear likes this

#58 OFFLINE   GrayStrider

GrayStrider

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 03:03 AM

You eCVT transmission is covered by the factory hybrid component warranty which is good for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

Right but the first one failed at 49K miles.  Another user had his fail at 55K miles.  If it fails again, it's very possible that it will happen when we're past the 100K miles mark.  Personally, I think if they had to replace it, the clock should be resent and mine should be good for 8 years/100K miles as of yesterday.  Just my humble opinion.

170364.png

#59 OFFLINE   lolder

lolder

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

I agree !

#60 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 12:03 PM

Right but the first one failed at 49K miles.  Another user had his fail at 55K miles.  If it fails again, it's very possible that it will happen when we're past the 100K miles mark.  Personally, I think if they had to replace it, the clock should be resent and mine should be good for 8 years/100K miles as of yesterday.  Just my humble opinion.

In California the warranty is 10 years or 150,000 miles. I don't think you need to worry. You could take advantage of the Ford reps on this Forum to look into getting some assistance from Ford for the musty AC smell issue. 

Current Vehicles

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

252543.png167422.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·