GrayStrider

New Transmission

The transmission assembly is the transmission. It includes the two motor/generators and all the gearing. They'll probably replace the whole thing as a unit.

This is not a good trend if there are more than just a couple of these and the TSB seems to indicate that there are. It may mean that there is a manufacturing problem with what should be the most reliable and basic part of the car. It should be under the hybrid warranty period but they should extend it well past that.

Back in Oct. of '14, Hybridbear mentioned a transmission oil pump not running when the ICE is off and causing a problem with higher mileage cars in the mountains. Raising the EV speed may have caused a lubrication problem to spread to all the vehicles. This could be a nightmare.

Edited by lolder

Many gear sets run on splash lubrication and don't require a pump for pressure lubrication. If you look at the architecture of the H 35 and previous Aisin Ford hybrid transmissions, the gears are somewhat vertically stacked so all of them can't dip into a sump. The ones that can, transfer oil to ones they engage but there's a limit to that. The power transfer is putting side loadings on the gear shafts requiring substantial bearing lubrication. In the hybrids, the ICE is never off for more than a few minutes so lubrication was not a problem until they upped the max EV speed so you could come down a mountain for 15 minutes or more without the ICE starting.

If I had a 2013+ that had the software to up the EV speed to 86 mph, I'd seriously consider avoiding that by "L" or it's equivalent and to avoid encouraging EV for long periods while moving until this is further understood.

Edited by lolder

Good thing I have a 125K mile warranty!

The factory warranty covers the hyrbid components for 8 years or 100,000 miles. That includes the eCVT , right?

Yeah that is covered, but I plan to keep this car more than a few years and will exceed 100K soon. In 3 years I will have exhausted my ESP. Then when the tranny goes, that is 7k I am on the hook for. Hopefully this wont happen.

From the 2014 Hybrid/Electric Warranty Guide:

(4)Your vehicles unique hybrid/electric components are covered during the Hybrid/Electric Unique components Coverage which lasts for eight years or 100,000miles, whichever occurs first.

The following hybrid parts are covered during this extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, hybrid continuously variable transmission, Inverter System Controller (ISC), DC/DCconverter, high-voltage battery connector, battery pack fan assembly, thermistor probe, Hybrid Battery Pack Sensor module (HBPSM), Battery Energy Control Module (BECM), and the PHEV onboard charger.

NOTE: The 2013 Warranty Guide says the same exact thing.

Just came back from my 2015 with the warranty manual in hand and it says the same thing. I think we can sleep soundly for 8 years or 100,000 miles.

You four guys will have to be content with pay in the form of appreciation and admiration for all the work you do. Thanks for keeping things running smoothly. Thanks for your efforts to make this one of the best and most welcoming forums on the web.

I'm pretty sure I have a job 1. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and steep hills, mountains, and the like are a normal part of my every day drive, we only have 17k on ours right now, but I try my best to get the most MPGs out of each tank... So, I can probably expect mine to fail. I've done the long down hill in EV only a few times coming back from the mountains. It's a game to me to try to keep it in EV... oh well. I do have the extended warranty as well, so...