GrayStrider

New Transmission

Any other HIGH mileage drivers out there? my daily commute is 75 miles one way,

Yes - mine is 58-63 miles each way (depending on route)... drove the 2010 FFH for 145k miles over 3 1/2 years (that car still going well at 195k), drove the 2013 FFH for 51 weeks and 35k miles and it was also great but sold it when I found the 2013 FFE for 12k off of MSRP and went for it. That one now has 41k miles after 13 months and all is well. So yes while others have had issues I don't think it's been more frequent than other makes/models (my wife's old Mazda was on transmission #3 when we sold it at 66k miles), so personally I would recommend the FFH to others.

Can you purchase an extended warranty after the fact? I'm well past the 3 year/36K warranty.

I think the hybrid components including the eCVT are guaranteed for 10 years and 150K miles in California. Read your warranty.

Edited by lolder

I'm not aware of anyone on the case except for my Raceway Ford service adviser, Tony. I just emailed corporate, so let's see if that helps.

I'll check that manual page out when I get the car back... and I hope that's soon! Today was day 18 that it's been in the shop.

I, too, tried to get into EV mode as much as possible. It was always a game for me to get into EV mode whenever possible; however, my husband drives it more often and he didn't try to get it into EV mode by watching the coach. It's uphill from Riverside to Yucaipa for work, with a flat section on the 10 that I can get into EV mode (we work at the same school). More chance on that on the drive home.

Well there's your problem, you let him drive the car! :)

I have a 2010 running perfectly but I am giving up on encouraging EV mode due to the concerns about lubrication failures in the eCVT with extended use of EV without a transmission lubricating pump operating. This problem has so far not appeared on these Gen II 2010-12 cars perhaps because of their lower 47 mph max EV speed but I'm not going to tempt fate for 1/2 mpg more. I'm going to pretty much just drive the car and ignore the HVB charge and not try to massage it's programmed behavior.

The design of these eCVT's should be bulletproof but the failures of only a few GEN III cCVT's in the mountains with the higher 86 mph max EV speed is to me, a wake up call.

If it is disclosed that these failures are due to something else entirely, I'll reconsider.

The eCVT for the 2013+ hybrids has been made in-house by Ford instead of by Aisin, a Japanese Co. but it looks almost identical with the same architecture. The average time my 2010 Aisin transmission is in EV is 1/2 mile and 1 minute. Operating routinely several miles and minutes is a big change. If I owned a 2013+ now with the upper speed EV limit software, I think I would goose it periodically to get the ICE to run a few seconds to get some lubrication circulating in the transmission at least until the cause of these transmission failures is resolved. These types of transmissions SHOULD last 50 years !

Edited by lolder

I think the lack of a transmission pump is more to do with cooling than oil starvation - otherwise my transmission would have dropped out on the side of the road while towing?. 5100 miles and counting and fingers crossed!