wbalester

dramatic mileage drop, dealer says no problem!

Go to fuelly.com and research your year and model, and see how others' month to month figures vary, particularly if they're in your same region. That may give you a better feeling for whether or not your experience is in the realm of normal.

Also get your plugs changed, they have 80K miles on them, rough running is a good indication of a misfire from worn plugs. Also a good time to replace the air filter if you haven't done so. these and the above tips will help your car get back to mid 30's in winter. Dont expect to see 40 for a while, not until temps are above 40. My prior car was also a 2010 FFH, and I would see 34 in winter, 42 in summer.

A misfire will cause a message or warning light. Actually any power stroke 20% below average on a continuous basis.

In cold weather the ICE often sounds like it's laboring more

Headwinds cost 3 mpg per 10 mph. Cold weather costs 2 mpg per 10 º F. Wet roads can cost 3 - 10 mpg. Winter's a Birch !

Do the 2013+s have a replaceable air filter? The 2010-12s do not.

Edited by lolder

CEL only occurs when the misfire is continuous. A bad plug may only misfire occasionally, which wont set a code. My Freestyle did that once, where it would stumble for a moment while driving, went on like that for 10 miles. Got to where I was going, did what I had to do, then on the drive home, stumbled some more, still no CEL. I floored it THEN I had a CEL, and it was a misfire on #4. I had my scangauge on all the time looking for the code. I swapped out the coil pack between 4 and 5, no more stumble or CEL since, so may have just been corrosion in the coil from sitting.

Still wouldn't hurt to change out the plugs at 80K. I mean the first 13 FFH had to have them replaced at 4500 miles. :) Oh that one stumbled too and no CEL until I pushed it hard, then it only flashed, wasn't until a day later that it went solid.

I think the present misfire detection is pretty sensitive but just a few won't set it off. If they are continuous the system may even shut the injector off to prevent catalytic converter overheating.

Wait......what ????

If you are talking about filtering the air entering the engine, I quite assure you that it DOES have a replaceable filter.

The OP refers to a 2010 FFH, which may have been equipped with what Ford considered a lifetime engine air filter. I've read about it on here in the past.

It's buried down in the ducting and is not designed to be "replaceable". Of course anything is replaceable with enough effort.

Well, glad you got it fixed. Can we assume the "local shop" is not a Ford dealer?

Hmm if NOT a Ford dealer, maybe he found a real mechanic! LOL I am so fed up with the wacky braking I turned off the brake coach since no matter how I try to stop I can rarely get 100%. Last trip I took in it I said screw it and just braked like a normal car, at least now I can stop at the line.

I've no such problem with my 2015 FFH. Is that a remaining problem with the 2013 models?

So far, it's just an acdii problem, hopefully for the rest of us.

Yeah, when the surge while turn happens to you, you will know! :) So far I have only heard of one other person experiencing this, so hopefully it is isolated to a very small group of cars, better yet, hopefully Ford can find the cause and fix it. The other braking problem I have may just be the SOC on my batteries, though for at least 40K miles the SOC has always been high and I don't recall having the brakes do what they do.

It is very strange what they do, one time, 60-0 good solid brake feel, moderate pedal pressure, in fact have to lighten up a touch so I actually make it to the stop sign before stopping, 100%, then there are other times where same amount of pedal pressure, the car just doesn't feel like it is slowing, and have to apply more and more pressure to get it to slow, and the only way to get 100% is to let the car slow down with little pressure or hydraulics kick in and I get a low score. I have seen it happen though with HVB at 50%, so question whether or not it is SOC related. Couple with the surge while turning, if I can't get the car to slow down enough on regen then hit the turn going a little faster than I should, the surge is quite noticeable, in fact it will push the nose to the left on a right turn, or right on a left turn.

In both cases though, if you are not accustomed to driving this car every day, you would never notice it. I had to take the SM out and point out what the complaint is on the surging while turning. I can get it to happen almost any time in either direction, and at any speed. Rough guess is there is a problem with the brake pedal and some sensor tied into the steering. They may be related, or may be totally separate issues.