In SW FL with my 2010, I never see ICE coolant over about 200 F. I would have taken the blocker off going up the mountains.

The VCT is varying to keep the ICE at optimum Atkinson cycle and the spark is changing to avoid knocking. The 1-2 second stabilization period is why it's important to have steady pedal pressure. Nice data.

You might have recovered more had you kept it out of grade assist and let the eCVT braking capture it all. I know of a couple Energi owners who recovered a full charge going down a long grade using ACC.

I will have to think about the timing, I have a theory on it, but trying to correlate it with a normal ICE is confusing me. For more power you advance the spark to just before detonation, but with the intake hanging open, that just creates a back fire. Seems like the goal is to reduce the amount of back force on the ICE by not compressing the A/F mixture. On startup that is exactly what it is doing, but while running, that part has me puzzled. The MG spins up ICE with no spark or fuel, once the ICE is at the proper RPM, then fuel and spark are started. The spark at or near TDC at that point is to produce the initial punch on the pistons,since the intakes are still open just before that point, then increase the advance to build power. I just dont understand the reasoning for it while in operation, unless its to keep RPM down in the power band. It might be based on Diesel fundamentals too since most diesels operate the most efficient between 1500 and 2300 RPM.

I think we did get it all because we didn't use the brake pads at all. Those trips down the mountain had 100% brake scores. One trip showed over 5 miles of regen.

When you used the grade assist the ICE kicked on and regen stopped, so you lost some regen there. How much, unknown. Just something to keep in mind with the Energi.

The ICE never came on. That's what my posts above say. With the hybrid the ICE would have come on, with the Energi it did not.

oops missed that, but didn't you say the circles went away when you did? Sorry too lazy to reread