Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Ford Fusion Hybrid Forum by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Posted Image
Register your Fusion Hybrid at the official Ford authorized registry here.

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on Lane Assist/keeping system

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:2013

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:55 PM

We used LKA lots on our recent road trip. It was really nice to let the car do the work on long straight stretches of road. Driving through the mountains we mostly kept it turned off because it would fight against us too much on the curvy mountain roads.

The system seems to work best at night in the light of the headlights. When the sun is low in the sky the system can struggle to see the lines even on dark pavement. In darkness the system picks up the markings even on the white concrete with white stripes.

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   lsherlockl

lsherlockl

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 73 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion Hybrid SE
  • My Hybrid's Year:2014

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

We used LKA lots on our recent road trip. It was really nice to let the car do the work on long straight stretches of road. Driving through the mountains we mostly kept it turned off because it would fight against us too much on the curvy mountain roads.

The system seems to work best at night in the light of the headlights. When the sun is low in the sky the system can struggle to see the lines even on dark pavement. In darkness the system picks up the markings even on the white concrete with white stripes.

I notice that too. on my daily drive its almost always dark on the return trip and i get it on ~100% but the same thing in the morning when its light out i get it on ~75%. Then again we do have pretty nice roads in WI or at least the ones I drive on. In any case i feel like night time more people get inattentive so i would rather have it work more so then. 

• hybridbear likes this

#23 OFFLINE   Iwejun

Iwejun

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 27 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:Titanium FFH

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

I had a 700 mile to and from ride yesterday out to Lubbock, I was bored so I had the assist on and with hands hovering over the wheel I let it "drive" between the lines.  FYI, there was no traffic on this stretch so it would gently bump the center line and then steer back and gently drift over to the right and then bump that line and steer me back left.  Weird Google car feeling, when all of a sudden it chimed and told me to keep ahold of the steering wheel. LOL, it also out of the blue chimes and tells me I need a break.  I have been known to do 1200 mi in 20 hr. so I just chuckle.

#24 OFFLINE   billford

billford

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 244 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • Current Vehicle:None

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

I keep my lane assist set to "alert only"

These cars are cool. The more I drive it, the more I like it.

#25 OFFLINE   CCalvinN

CCalvinN

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2015 FF HyTi
  • My Hybrid's Year:2015

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

I got my car back in early February of 2015.  Lane Assist was one of the features I wanted mainly because it was ‘new’.  I had never owned a car with a feature anything like this and it sounded interesting.  During those first few weeks of ownership I played around with it just as I did all the other new features (yes, I let the car bounce between the lines in a lane a couple times!).   I really liked how it would simply ‘nudge’ the car back into its lane, but never felt that it was going to be something I’d use all the time. 

Eventually it became one of the many background technological ‘things’ that the car had and I left on all the time.  Only rarely would it actually be put into use and most of those times were when it was windy out. 

I never gave it much thought… until last week.  Last week for some reason the car turned the system off. I haven’t played with the Lane Assist for almost five months now and forgot that it COULD be turned off.  I only noticed it was off because I didn’t see the lane lines on the left side of the dash.  When I tried to remember how to turn the Lane Assist back on, I couldn’t figure it out.  I looked in both the dash menus and the MyFord Touch menus, but couldn’t find the setting.  Obviously I couldn’t find any ‘on/off’ switch there and finished my drive without it.  The next day I was hoping it would have just turned back on, but no beans… it was still off.  So I drove to and from work without its assistance.  Only when I got home and did a quick google search did I find the button on the end of the turn signal stalk.  It came back on without issue and has worked fine since.

For that trip and a half though it wasn’t there.   And you know what?  I really missed it! 

I didn’t realize just how often in my drive that I would feel that little ‘nudge’ to get me centered in my lane.  I say centered as I don’t feel that I’m ever close enough to wandering out of my lane, but I do tend to ‘hug’ the fog line.  Going around curves is where I feel it most often, and missed it the most when it was gone.  The system is obviously not perfect.  Yes, it can miss the lines even on the best of roads.  Yes, it can sometimes see a line where one doesn’t exist (mainly when one lane is splitting into two or two lanes are merging into one).  But even when it nudges and vibrates the wheel I never feel that I have to ‘fight’ it… I just have to use slightly more effort.  I’m never afraid the system will push me into danger or prevent me from moving out of danger.  With those shortcomings I’ll never fully rely on the system.  Ultimately I’m still driving my car and am in control, but it’s a sweet comfort when it is on and I was acutely aware when it wasn’t on at all for a day and a half.

BTW, my brother purchased a new Chevy Traverse last month.   He was excited that it came with Chevy’s Lane Departure Warning system.  When he told the salesman about my Fusion’s Lane ASSIST (mentioning that it would nudge you back into the lane), the salesman told him that no car does that.  HA!  I love that even with Chevy’s system on his Traverse, my brother is still jealous of mine!  And after driving around in the Traverse, I’m reminded how much I LOVE that my Lane system doesn’t beep at me. 

These modern cars have so many beeps that it’s becoming annoying.  If Ford’s system beeped, I’d turn it off and leave it that way.  The wheel’s vibration (feeling like you are running over rumble strips) is the perfect indicator of what exactly is happening.   

• hybridbear, GrySql, kbailey990 and 1 other like this

346645.png

#26 OFFLINE   Barsoom

Barsoom

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 170 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

Mine does not retain the setting. I have to turn it on each time I start the car.

#27 OFFLINE   hybridbear

hybridbear

Fusion Hybrid Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,915 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion Energi Titanium

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:39 AM

Mine does not retain the setting. I have to turn it on each time I start the car.

Only the 2014+ retains the setting. 2013s default to off.

• GrySql likes this

Current Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium - White Platinum Metallic

2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm

315692.png

Previous Vehicles

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE x2

252543.png167422.png

#28 OFFLINE   Barsoom

Barsoom

Fusion Hybrid Member

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 170 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

Only the 2014+ retains the setting. 2013s default to off.

But of course... :-(

#29 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium
  • My Hybrid's Year:Decline

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:21 AM

I have to say that I was disappointed when I saw the new Honda Civic has the lane assist option. I thought it was a more premium feature in my '14 Fusion but I guess technology trickles down fast. I watched a video on it in the Civic and it seems superior to the Fusion (you can see the video here https://m.youtube.co...h?v=n-dyqqqBee8). In the Fusion if you leave your hands off the wheel on a curve it would go straight through the curve and crash the car. On the civic it appears it'll steer you around the curve, almost like how the Tesla steers you in autopilot mode.
I really think some kind of software update could make the Fusion lane assist system more accurate, it already has all of the components in place to work like the Civic.

Edited by Riggo, 16 May 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,341 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKC - 2013 MKZh

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:04 AM

Set your lane keeping to it's most sensitive position and try it again.

2016 Edge Titanium

2015 Lincoln MKC

2013 MKZ Hybrid

"Your comment is in no way productive. Why don't you find something productive to say?" - hybridbear

#31 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:52 AM

Set your lane keeping to it's most sensitive position and try it again.

I've always had it on the most sensitive setting. It only works at the beginning of a curve but if I'm on a highway it will quickly give up and head straight off the road if i don't catch it.

Edited by Riggo, 16 May 2016 - 07:53 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

Ford's system isn't limited by technology, it's limited by lawyers.

#33 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

Ford's system isn't limited by technology, it's limited by lawyers.

You'd think the lawyers from Honda, Tesla (albeit Honda's system certainly isn't close to Tesla's autopilot mode), and whoever else has this technology now would have similar concerns. And yet, they have the technology out now.

It would be a great marketing move for Ford to update the software of their cars like Tesla does. It makes you feel like your car has longevity when it comes to new technology, and it won't be out of date soon after it rolls off the lot. This would make more people loyal to Ford in my opinion.

#34 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Hybrid Addict

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:56 AM

You'd think the lawyers from Honda, Tesla (albeit Honda's system certainly isn't close to Tesla's autopilot mode), and whoever else has this technology now would have similar concerns. And yet, they have the technology out now.

It would be a great marketing move for Ford to update the software of their cars like Tesla does. It makes you feel like your car has longevity when it comes to new technology, and it won't be out of date soon after it rolls off the lot. This would make more people loyal to Ford in my opinion.

Tesla especially and Honda to some degree do not have the same experience as Ford in the US with all the crazy lawsuits, so no, they don't have similar concerns because they don't have the same experience as Ford.

Tesla is just a bubble waiting to explode and one major lawsuit is likely all it will take.  Perhaps though the lawyers aren't targeting them yet because they don't actually have any cash to go after.

#35 OFFLINE   Riggo

Riggo

Fusion Hybrid Enthusiast

• Fusion Hybrid Member
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

Tesla especially and Honda to some degree do not have the same experience as Ford in the US with all the crazy lawsuits, so no, they don't have similar concerns because they don't have the same experience as Ford.

Tesla is just a bubble waiting to explode and one major lawsuit is likely all it will take.  Perhaps though the lawyers aren't targeting them yet because they don't actually have any cash to go after.

Ok. I'm not sure where you are getting these statistics from on lawsuits related to technology or if you're just guessing (like I am about Honda and Tesla having the same concerns) but I guess it doesn't really matter. I just wish Ford would provide updates to keep older cars more current.

Edited by Riggo, 17 May 2016 - 09:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·