Sign in to follow this  
lsherlockl

Thoughts on Lane Assist/keeping system

Good point about that it isn't needed if you're a careful driver, but I want all the backup help that technology can give me. ?

I have lane keeping, and I leave it on all the time. It took a little getting used to at first because it wants to center you in your lane, but you can easily override it. LCA has stopped my tendency to hug the side of the road too closely, and it has warned me a few times of "lane drifting" in the last two years. Even with shortcomings I rate it a net positive.

I use it whenever I am on the Interstate. It helps when its a bit windy as you can drift, or a slight distraction like say an 8 YO who wont shut up, or other little things. Mine never yells at me because I turned off those features. It will only bong if I take my hands off the wheel for any length of time. My MKT can stay straight for so long that it will think my hands aren't on the wheel when they are, and pop up an alert on the dash.

I never use it when there is snow or rain though as the lines can disappear and disable the system. What I like about it is that is will nudge you over, unlike other manufactures that just alert.

The roads by me dont have any lines, so it is useless for daily driving.

I keep my lane assist set to "alert only"

These cars are cool. The more I drive it, the more I like it.